It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 97 Pontiac GP GT
Just wondering if anyone knows a good paint that can be used to paint interior items and dash? When I painted my old Honda Civic's dash, I used Duplicolor I believe? It turned out really nice and looked great, just wondering if there is anything better out there and what is the best way to get the dash prepped since it is cushioned? The civic's dash was plastic so I just sanded it down and repainted it. Thanks in advance!

Mods to come- LED Tails, HID Kit, Top Swap (springtime)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 01 Se
You talking about the plastic parts or vinyl? Plastic I used Duplicolor and it came out great just prep it properly. Vinyl no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:18 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Yeah the plastic pieces are what I want to paint along with the dash. I had a good turnout when I used the duplicolor on my old cars interior so I might just go with that again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:19 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
duplicolor vinyl and plastic paint. advance auto has it and so does wal mart works great on vinyl

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:19 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 01 Se
Yea I had great results with mine and had alot of friends and car places ask were I got mine done and when I told them they were impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

swampthing wrote:
duplicolor vinyl and plastic paint. advance auto has it and so does wal mart works great on vinyl

Thanks Swampthing! I was looking at that same kind.

EWC88 wrote:
Yea I had great results with mine and had alot of friends and car places ask were I got mine done and when I told them they were impressed.

My friends were impressed by the turnout of my civics interior and thought I paid someone else to paint it for me..lol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
For small parts, I used and airbrush and bought paint directly from an autobody supply house. They sell paint specifically made for interior parts and can colour match based on paint codes. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

The stuff I've used is called SEM. I've seen it available in aerosol cans as well (although mine was custom mixed).

http://www.wheelskin.com/sem-15000.html

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Thanks for that link. They offer a lot more colors than they do in retail stores for Duplicolor. I might just go with this and get a few different colors and see which colors I like best in my car. I'm redoing my whole interior and not quite sure what color I want it to be finished with. Right now its a blue but I got a complete set of gray seats and gray door panels in mint condition. I used to have the bench seats in the front but got buckets now. I'm thinking of doing a black and gray interior and repaint the car a dark color? Not sure yet though.