It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sirius/XM Radio in GXP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
Just curious if anyone has ever swapped out a radio that did not have the Sirius/XM option for one that does have it.

I currently have the '05 GXP with the Sirius/XM. And I use it & need it.

I am consdiering buying another GXP, but it does not have the Sirius/XM option in the radio, nor does it have the antenna on the rear roof, etc.

Would this be a do-it-yourself project, where I could swap the radios in the two cars?
Or should/could I buy a complete radio & all the required XM add-ons such as the antenna, from a scrap/donor car?

If anyone has a complete radio for the 2004-2005 with all the required components, please let me know, & share any experience it may take to add the SIrius/XM function to a car that currently does not have that option.

If this thread has to be in the Audio forum, feel free to move it.

1) 2001 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Firehawk #0270/038
2) 2015 Ford F-150 SCrew 4x4
3) 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
4) 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTII

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Are you replacing the radio anyway? Or are you replacing it just to get satellite radio?

When I had mine, I just swapped out the XM brain box in the trunk for a Sirius one, but again, I had it from the factory to begin with.

I would say it's a little costly/time consuming to go the OEM route and wiring antenna's and amps/other digital receiver stuff to complete it, than just get an aftermarket setup and run an antenna into the rear window or something.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Yes, the car that I have considered buying does not have the Sirius/XM option.
I don't know what is all involved in the radio package, if a car was to have that added option up front, which I imagine it has to, so it has the antenna.

Just to clarify, the antenna on the rear roof area of my current car is for the Sirius/XM, right?
The car I'm considering a purchase on, ..., does not have that antenna.

I don't know if the radio in the car is 'satellite ready', where you can just use the Sirius/XM add-on the kit.
https://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/c ... icle_tuner

So yes, I considered swapping the complete radio in both cars.
Probably not the easiest route, ...

If I have to have the car, I guess I'll have to add the external radio receiver.
Problem with that, ..., is that my steering wheel controls won't automatically change my Sirius/XM station.
So, ..., as lazy as I am, relaxed in my cruiser, ..., I'll have to 'sit-up' in some manner to reach the buttons.
Because I'll have dropped my Sirius/XM remote down between the seats, ..., :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
ok this can be done pretty easy. IF you have the 12 disc changer in the trunk. If not then its going to be a little more difficult.

If your radio has a 'BAND' button (as opposed to AM/FM) it is already an XM compatible unit. The actual DRR (Digital Radio Receiver) is a seperate component that mounts in the trunk. This is what receives and processes the XM signal and is ultimately wired to the factory radio. All General Motors XM installations are set-up in this manner, but not all radios are capable of talking to the DRR module.

Receivers for other GM vehicles (most anyways) are a fairly easy install because you can unplug the radio, plug in the receiver module between the harness and radio, install the antenna and you're off to the races.

The 2000+ body style of the Bonneville doesn't easily allow for this because of the type of connection system they use. These cars have a "Dock-N-Lock" style system where the connector remains positioned behind the radio and the unit just slides in and out. There is no room for any type of intermediate device. This means wiring a receiver the way GM would have done at the factory.

"Factory" XM installations have been done. I did this with my car and at least one other member has done this as well. Wiring harnesses had to be built and installed to facilitate the addition of the DRR module.

you will need the following parts

receiver, coax antenna cable, roof mount antenna, wiring harness connector, connector terminals and wire.

there is also rumor that if you install a XM receiver from another car that it will Theftlock. I swapped recievers one time and I didn't have a problem but your results may vary.

I also do believe that I have a 03 style Antenna, Coax cable and a receiver with the connectors if your interested in this project

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:19 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Good input, Thanks.
Disappointing news, the car in question does not have the 12-disc changer. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
If you desperately want this option, even if there is no CD changer, this can still be done. I believe all the 04-05 radios have the "Band" button and are XM compatible. They also have the aux input audio needed from the XM box in the trunk. The wiring may not be completely there so it is possible you may have to run 3 shielded wired (wrap in aluminum foil and tape over it) from the trunk to the radio. You are looking for inputs A9-A11 on the dock and lock which are on the bottom row where A1 is on the right. A9 is black/white and is common, A10 is brn/white and is the left audio input, andf A11 is dark green/white and is right audio in. If you remove the radio and unsnap the dock and lock you can look at the wiring behind it to see if the wires are there. if so then the wires will run to a 4 pin connector at the base of the steering column and can be seen if you remove the left hush panel, next to the steering column connector harness. If this connector has another harness running out, you may find the other end in the trunk, more than likely on the front or middle left side because that is where the XM module mounts and it will be part of a 16 pin connector that plugs into the XM module and will not connected to anything. If that connector is there you are golden because the hardest party of install is not needed. You would just need the XM receiver and the antenna and its cable.

Then you need the Digital Radio Module, and it is likely harofreak00 has one. This connects to the 3 wires to the radio and one more wire to connect to the aluminum shielding, to fuse 15 in the rear fuse block, to ground, and to a purple Class 2 serial data cable, and the satellite antenna.

You state you do not have an antenna on the roof so you may have the older set-up with the antenna for the cellular (OnStar) on the back glass and the GPS module in the trunk under the rear shelf.

The antenna you need is a 3-in one, for the cellular, GPS, and Satellite. and requires cables with FAKRA female connectors on both ends (PM me for more details because you need a specific color one for the satellite and another color one for the cellular). You will have to drop the headliner and drill 2 holes in the roof. I have templates and pictures. You can remove the antenna on the back glass and use the one on the roof for the cellular as well, and leave the GPS in the trunk. You need the antenna base for the digital antenna and the antenna itself and both are still available from GM. I have a mounting template, part numbers, and photos of where to mount it on the roof. If the 16 pin connector is not there, you can tap into the purple wire on the Onstar module for the serial data connection to the satellite box and the orange wire for the power and the black for ground. And you will have to run the other 3 wires to the radio or steering column connector.

It is, at the most, a weekend install once you have all the correct parts.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:56 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
I'm very glad I found this thread as I'm also in a similar situation. I have a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. I've read online that XM radio is an option for this model/year, but unfortunately my car doesn't have this option. What I do have is a radio that says "Band" and the old rear window antenna. What I don't have is the 12 disc CD changer. After speaking with Sirius/XM customer service and giving them my VIN #, they say my car is not compatible. What will I need to do to get my car compatible? I also want to go the factory route. Any help is much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
You probably will need the 2004-2005 Radio and the XM box that goes in the trunk. You will need to do the wiring and install an satellite antenna on the roof.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)