It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99' SSEI Project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:34 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI/2007 TBSS/2004 CTS-V
Recently had the opportunity to purchase a 1999 Bonneville SSEI off a guy I work with. The car has 198k and is in need of some serious TLC but nothing that can't be done. He gave me intake and throttle body gaskets along with a box of parts so those have been put to good use. Plans for the car is to be a daily driver with minor mods including intake/headers/pulley/tune. I do have a budget set in mind and do not really have a set deadline of completion as I've got a solid DD (98 SSE) to get me around.

When I first got it. Carpet/floor mats are stained pretty bad, a dog has chewed holes in the rear bottom seat and driver side rear panel, driver front panel is broken/cracked, and plenty of cigar left overs throughout.

Decided the first weekend to put the gaskets I got with the car to good use. The intake gaskets were shot for sure and the throttle body definitely needed a good cleaning. While I was in there I change the coolant elbow and valve cover gaskets and cleaned everything up a little.

For christmas I bought myself a little present and also received some factory service manuals with the car when I purchased it.

This week I should be receiving a rocker panel replacement and my supercharger coupler/oil from ZZP. I'm also going to tackle some of this interior and get rid of this funky smell it has. Updates to follow.

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint

Last edited by 98SSE on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 99' SSEI Project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:41 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2002 Galaxy Silver SSEi
This looks like a solid project that shouldn't be too hard. Can't wait to see what you do.

2002 Galaxy Silver SSEi "Silver Shadow" 181, xxx miles- DD, tinted taillights, 10000k HID low beams, GXP strut brace, carbon fiber overlays, GXP door bezels and vents and Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, cleared corners, drilled and slotted rotors, painted calipers, Intense Stage 1 Performance package, smoked door reflectors.
2001 Galaxy Silver SE 119, xxx miles- RIP
2007 White G6 Economy 96, xxx miles- Wife's car, carbon fiber inserts, tinted windows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:07 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
The tappet gallery looks like it shows someone either didn't like to change the oil very often or didn't use quality oil. - BC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:57 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Despite everything, it looks like you're making solid progress. Nice to see one getting saved/receiving some love.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:45 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

dadofone2011 wrote:
This looks like a solid project that shouldn't be too hard. Can't wait to see what you do.

Thanks, I've always liked this body styles since they came out so to get one with pretty much everything I wanted was nice. Since its not my DD I can rip into it a little deeper than I did my white one.

1oldman wrote:
The tappet gallery looks like it shows someone either didn't like to change the oil very often or didn't use quality oil. - BC

If I had to guess it would be both, the oil was some of the worst I've seen. Once I got it home from his house (about 15 miles) it was parked until I changed the gaskets. Maintenance on this car was definitely neglected and it shows, luckily these are pretty tough engines.

nos4blood70 wrote:
Despite everything, it looks like you're making solid progress. Nice to see one getting saved/receiving some love.

It was a little much to take in especially once I started digging into it but with the little bit of work I've done to it, its starting to come back to life.

This past weekend I gutted the trunk and removed the upper portion of the back seats and got everything swept out. Reconnected the drainage hose for the antenna that was just laying in the trunk letting it drain where ever it wanted. Also changed the fuel filter and replaced the line. Cosmetically it needs a new bumper and hood and a good wash but with the upcoming snow that will have to wait. Probably get HP tuners hooked up this week and see what the CEL is for and mess around with the settings.

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint

Last edited by 98SSE on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 06 Grand Prix LS4
Glad to see another one being brought back to life, looks like it should make a really nice car with some TLC, I love the color combo!

Previous, 07 GP SE, 06 GP GXP, 97 SSE 40th, 96 LeSabre Custom, 93 SLE, 90 LeSabre Custom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

ga93sle wrote:
Glad to see another one being brought back to life, looks like it should make a really nice car with some TLC, I love the color combo!

Thanks, I'm hoping for something decent in the end. Definitely not expecting a new car by any means, just something to have fun with.

Haven't had much of a chance to update this week as my UIM on my 98' decided to fail. Spent monday changing the LIM gaskets and tuesday changing the UIM manifold and gaskets. Came home tonight be plans of tinkering on interior parts inside the house as we're expecting -6 degrees or so weather only to find out the electric is off lol. On a good note I did receive my coupler/oil from ZZP and my rocker panel replacement.

UIM Gasket on 98'

LIM Gasket on 98'

Gutted rear seats a trunk.

Found this when I removed everything. Any tips on repairing? Structure is solid, the portion where the seat sat though is rusted. I've knocked all the loose stuff out, just planning my attack now.

Updates to follow.

"Big 3", Tint

Last edited by 98SSE on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
98SSE wrote:
Found this when I removed everything. Any tips of repairing? Structure is solid, the portion where the seat sat though is rusted. I've knocked all the loose stuff out, just planning my attack now.

Updates to follow.

Looks like you are making great progress! Have you been able to find out the cause of the rust cancer under the rear seats? Good to see another Bonneville saved. - BC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Does anybody here know how to fix rust? Oh, wait...

Hard to tell from the picture but looks like the structure has more than surface rust, and a piece in the left side there is rusted out and gone. That channel is actually two pieces of thick metal stamped together. The top one in the channel is rusted. You should do what you can to clean it up, but will also need to re-inforce it in the corners at the bottom and weld a patch into the missing piece on the left. And of course you will need to protect the metal once it's all cleaned up and welded.

I recommend welding in new metal. The floor pan under the seat, where it's rusted away, is structural above that frame channel.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1oldman wrote:
98SSE wrote:
Found this when I removed everything. Any tips of repairing? Structure is solid, the portion where the seat sat though is rusted. I've knocked all the loose stuff out, just planning my attack now.

Updates to follow.

Looks like you are making great progress! Have you been able to find out the cause of the rust cancer under the rear seats? Good to see another Bonneville saved. - BC

When I gutted the trunk I found the drain tube for the power antenna laying in the trunk (Not going outside) and it was aimed pretty much where you see the hole under the rear seat. Moved the tube back to where it goes and planning on picking up some metal to fix it.

MattStrike wrote:
Does anybody here know how to fix rust? Oh, wait...

Hard to tell from the picture but looks like the structure has more than surface rust, and a piece in the left side there is rusted out and gone. That channel is actually two pieces of thick metal stamped together. The top one in the channel is rusted. You should do what you can to clean it up, but will also need to re-inforce it in the corners at the bottom and weld a patch into the missing piece on the left. And of course you will need to protect the metal once it's all cleaned up and welded.

I recommend welding in new metal. The floor pan under the seat, where it's rusted away, is structural above that frame channel.

Thanks for the advice, is there a specific gauge/thickness you would use? I'm pretty new to the welding world, using a 170amp/240volt mig welder.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Spent some of tonight cleaning up some interior parts, focused a lot on the seat controls. I imagine they get beverages spilled on them given the location of the cup holder above it. The Left-Right switch was stuck along with some seat controls. Took everything apart and cleaned them.

This weekend I plan on changing the coupler and SC oil along with other various odds and ends.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:11 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
In general you can use 20 gauge for most parts and 16 gauge for frame steel. 5/16" rod can be used to add structure in corners to to make a large flat area rigid. Here's an example of the last rust repair I did last weekend where I used the rod to make the sheet metal rigid as the floor was before:

If you've never welded on automotive sheet metal, then you need to know that there is a coating on the metal that has to be removed (sanded, wire wheel, etc) before you weld. Same precautions needed if you were welding on galvanized steel. And keep the area well ventilated. Do not use brake cleaner near the welder either.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:53 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

MattStrike wrote:
In general you can use 20 gauge for most parts and 16 gauge for frame steel. 5/16" rod can be used to add structure in corners to to make a large flat area rigid. Here's an example of the last rust repair I did last weekend where I used the rod to make the sheet metal rigid as the floor was before:

If you've never welded on automotive sheet metal, then you need to know that there is a coating on the metal that has to be removed (sanded, wire wheel, etc) before you weld. Same precautions needed if you were welding on galvanized steel. And keep the area well ventilated. Do not use brake cleaner near the welder either.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be picking up supplies this week. Would like to get it done next weekend or so.

Today I spent most of the day cleaning the garage and taking care of odds and ends. Noticed today that the fog lights and marker lights do not come on so I'll have to check some fuses/relays. Also spent some time on the floor mats. Looking much better than when I first got it, I'll probably hit them one more time also.

Tomorrow I'm planning on changing the coupler and SC oil since its going to be 20 degrees warmer. Pics will follow.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:04 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1993 SSEi, Red Bonnechetta
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
This is a great project, I love watching progress threads. Keep the updates coming, good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

labonnevillastrangiato wrote:
This is a great project, I love watching progress threads. Keep the updates coming, good luck!

Thanks, I look forward to what it will become.

Today I spent the afternoon replacing the SC coupler and oil. Dear lord does that oil stink. The oil was pretty dark I pulled out of it and the coupler was obviously worn, the holes were a little reamed out. Definitely is a lot quieter after the replacement, well worth the money. Snapped a couple photos during the process.

Loosening the snout.

New coupler installed and ready to go back on.

This guy was supervising today.

Replaced both marker lights today but still don't have fog lights. Hit them with a test light and wasn't getting any juice. Replaced the fuse under the dash with a new one but didn't change anything. I'll look into it this week. Updates to follow.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Great progress! Blower oil is one of the worst stinks ever... Hahaha

Those seat controls were naaaaaaaaaasty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:53 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

nos4blood70 wrote:
Great progress! Blower oil is one of the worst stinks ever... Hahaha

Those seat controls were naaaaaaaaaasty.

Thanks. Yea.... those seat controls were disgusting. I've yet to pull the center console out and clean it. It has taken multiple wipe downs on the dash and door panels (the 2 good one I have) to get the cigar smoke off of them. I took 3 air freshners out of the packages and placed them inside the car so the stench is starting to go away along with drying up the water leaking in.

Plan is to remove the center console and seats then pull the carpet out for a good ol' cleaning this week/weekend. A lot of stains throughout but all in all its in pretty good shape though. Also going to tackle that huge hole I have where the rear seat goes. Updates will follow.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Little update this evening. Received my intake for the car as well as my rear struts and front/rear sway bar bushings. Will install most of these tomorrow after I get back from the JY. Hoping to find a rear seat and door panels to finish most of the interior. Also going to pull the center console and clean it, this thing is disgusting.

"Big 3", Tint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:26 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Got a few things done today, not as much as I would have liked though. Started the day off by going to the JY and picked up a few things for the cars. Found a new MAP sensor for my 98' as mine had separated when I was trying to remove it. Also picked up some vacuum hoses, EGR pipe, and a K&N intake off a 98' grand prix all for $8.75. Came back home and started working on things. I pulled the car in and started working on the rear shocks but COULD NOT get the bolts out. I worked on them for about 1 1/2 hours and decided to move on and leave them soaking in PB blaster. Installed my K&N filter I had ordered from Summit as well as my new EGR stove pipe that was cracked. Next weekend I'm going to give the rear shocks another try.

Filter on from Summit.

EGR stove pipe cracked around the base where it goes into the manifold.

"Big 3", Tint

Last edited by 98SSE on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:51 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Not to much to update on but I did get the passenger seat and console out today in preparation of pulling the carpet out to clean it. I will probably leave the driver seat in til next weekend when I pull the carpet so moving the car is a little easier.
Yummy

"Big 3", Tint