It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:41 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 SSE
I was wondering if the catalytic converter being faulty causes the car to stall?
I have only recently had the problem and it stalled once, I drove my way home from work, it's a 18 mile commute. I have not had problems with it stalling before this. I drove home, it is 65 mph from work to home, and about a quarter mile from my house, it stalled. The AC was working, the electronics were working, radio worked, etc. The only thing it stalled and the dash said "check gauges". There was no indicator on the dash that there was anything wrong, all levels (temp, voltage, oil pressure) etc, were reading normal. I turned the car over and it started fine, but would only stay running for about 3 seconds. It only happened once, I let the car sit for about 4 hours and tried it again. It started up just fine and it will run just fine for a certain amount of time, don't know how long as I haven't driven it since.

I had someone come and look at the car, he looked it over, tried running it and everything, he said it is the catalytic converter. I asked him about the fuel filter or fuel pump because that was one thing my dad said to check out (he lives far away and can't look at my car for me) but he said he didn't think that was it, because he thought he could hear the fuel pump engage when turning car over...
I haven't been able to find anyone else to come look at it, and I wanted some advice before I invest in a $100 part, I really can't afford to waste $100 on a part that I may or may not need. Any ideas on what could be wrong with it?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:03 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 98 Bonneville SSE
95 Buick Le Sabre
89 Bonneville
I would suspect the fuel system - best to have someone run a fuel pressure test before you think about replacing the Cat - also could be a fuel pressure regulator causing the stall - if it sat long enough probably would start ok. check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtR_yF7bi8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI/2007 TBSS/2004 CTS-V
Crankshaft position sensors have been known to get "flakey" and cause a car to die then not start for X amount of time. Hard telling without more infoo.

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 99 Bonneville
First thing I would check (from experience).

The connector to the Ign module, they loose continuity.

Its just past the rad cap, on the motor, under the IGN coils, take it on and off about 5 times and see if the stalling stops.