It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:02 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville ssei
2000 Bonneville Ssei .... fog lights won't turn on...
Checked bulbs and switch and all good but when u push fog light switch nothing happens... any ideas or should I bypass the switch?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:01 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, did you check fuse under hood? I think it says fog/drv lp on cover

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yup checked fuses and are good but changed it anyway and tried another fog light relay also but they just don't work... anyone know how to bypass fog light switch so I can install one desperate from the original....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:45 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
did you check for power at the fuse box for fog- may just be broken wire
how about bulbs? you swap them?

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Everything checks good.... I checked fuses ,fuse box has power, switch has power going in but nothing coming out but my crappy book doesn't have a diagram for my car.... Hayes manual is crap... but yea I checked everything even checked all connectors and had switch completely apart and checked good but... lights don't work and its drivin me crazy cause I finally have a car with fig lights and they won't work.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:45 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Pulled switch an checked for power to the switch is good so I jumped it with a wire an nothing... I tried pulling the relay and jumping it and I can feel an hear a click in fuse box....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:42 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
beeman212 wrote:
Everything checks good.... I checked fuses ,fuse box has power, switch has power going in but nothing coming out but my crappy book doesn't have a diagram for my car.... Hayes manual is crap... but yea I checked everything even checked all connectors and had switch completely apart and checked good but... lights don't work and its drivin me crazy cause I finally have a car with fig lights and they won't work.....

Autozone, if you sign up, has many wiring diagrams online.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So my question is... where can I cut an splice a new power wire to fog lights so I can run my own switch?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
To confirm you checked with a multi-meter and there is no power at both bulb sockets? Also make sure your high beams are off. I believe when they are on the fogs are bypassed.

2004 Bonneville SE 151,xxx- 20% tint all around, 5% tint bar on windshield | 4500k DDM HID low | De-badged | Hardwired Passport 9500ix | FWI(inter-cooler piping) | FE2 Rear Sway Bar | Solid Motor Mount | 180* Stat | Firm Shift Kit

- '92 Bonneville SE - '85 Grand Am - '73 Catalina - '67 Catalina
- '87 Bonneville SE - '82 6000 - '78 Catalina [/color]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So I gave up and hot wired the spot where the relay turns the fogs on at fuse box and wired it to a fuse that has power when the key is on the run position has power so it turns the fogs on when car is running but at least they work now.... I give up on trying to fix it for lack of info.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
The info exists, but you have to be willing to get it. As mentioned, there are several online services you can subscribe to for wiring diagrams and technical information. There is enough technology in these cars that if you plan to do much work yourself you'll need to pony up the cash and access the correct resources. I don't mind helping but I will not post schematics as these are copyright protected documents.

As for the diagnostics, I really don't think you found voltage going into the fog lamp switch because that's not how the circuit works. Voltage that you found will be related to other circuits (Twilight Sentinel or Instrument Panel Dimming). The fog lamp switch grounds an input on the Climate Control Panel (if you don't have automatic dual zone), or in your case, an input on the Instrument Panel Module. The IPM (or CCP depending on the vehicle) then sends a data bus message to the Dash Integration Module which will ground one side of the fog lamp relay causing it to engage and turn the lamps on. In other words, your problem could be related to a lot of different possibilities.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I traced the power wire from the fog lights to the fuse box and from the fogs to the switch.. with a multi meter and there are no breaks in circuit but if I jump the spot where the relay plugs in the lights come on and while there on my fog switch is lit up on the dash as if they where working like should... and I put the relay in and then they don't work... and the wires I was looking for are purple and purple with white stripe which run into fuse box...
So all said it won't activate the relay when u push switch nothing happens.... this shouldn't be this difficult

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:36 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
Honestly it can be trust me.. I've been in your situation you know what my issue was? The vin number on the BCM did not match the vin number on the car but I didn't know that and did not find it out until I bought a radio from Harofreak00 and had to take it to the dealer for reprogramming turns out that was the issue preventing my fog lights from coming on as soon as everything matched up poof fog lights worked and my gas door lock started functioning so I know how it feels to be in your position and maybe try what was wrong with my car to see if it helps yours

Member #3848
2002 Black Bonneville SE Sold But Not Forgotten
2002 White Bonneville SSEi Project car

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

There is only one wire that directly connects the fog lamp switch to the fog lamps (at the under hood fuse block if I recall correctly) and that is to illuminate the indicator on the switch when there is actually power being supplied to the lamps. There are no other direct connections between the switch and control relay or the lamps themselves. The lamps are controlled using body control modules for at least a couple of reasons. First, it prevents the lamps from being turned on when the car is not. Second, the Dash Integration Module prevents the fog lamps from turning on if the high beams are also on. Having fog lamps on at the same time as high beams is prohibited in North America. As odd as it seems, this is the best way to go about it without having to add yet another relay and a bunch more wire.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

When I bought the car the factory stereo was locked and the guy I bought it off of told me it happened when the battery went dead and was replaced.
I didn't want to pay the dealer to unlock a radio I planned on replacing with a DVD player... thanks to this website it wasn't to bad cutting out the back so the wires had a place to go...
But that and the fog lights don't work and the air bag light and service air bag message on the dic on the dash are all an issue I haven't been able to figure out...
Think they all might be related?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The 2000-01 Bonneville is a little different beast when it comes to the instrument panel wiring harness. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a flexible printed circuit that interconnects the various components and then terminates at a connector which plugs into the main body wiring harness. If this flexible printed circuit has been damaged you're basically looking at replacing it. There is no "good" way to repair them reliably. Beginning with the 2002 model year, GM used harnesses manufactured with standard insulated wire conductors.

As for the radio, I'm skeptical in the story the seller gave you. The anti-theft system in this vintage is entirely different than GM's prior system and it isn't affected by the battery failing. I've had radios sit for months out of my vehicle and when I reinstalled them they have not come up TheftLock'ed.

Did everything work correctly prior to working on the dash?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:36 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Nope ... bout the car with non working fog lights, air bag light on radio was locked and back windows didn't work till I fixed the wires under the seat with a new splicer and sealed it up but can't figure out the fog light and air bag issue... car doesn't appear to have been wrecked and is in great shape

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
I still suggest that you get that BCM checked to make sure the vin matches

Member #3848
2002 Black Bonneville SE Sold But Not Forgotten
2002 White Bonneville SSEi Project car

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member