It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bottom end swap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:14 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1990 SSE
Ive got a nice coolant leak where the TB attaches to the UIM. When I had the TB off I noticed that the plastic trough that the seal sits in was brittle and cracking apart. I cleaned it and made a gasket with rtv and put it back on. I did it this way because I was rushing to get it ready for ONBF. So I needa new UIm but finding one in good shape might not be easy, so I was thinking of swapping on an s/c. I read a thread about someone s/cing an L27 and it worked fine, it just killed the bottom end in 1000 miles. So my question is can I replace my bottom end with one from an L67? Ive put so much work into this engine that if I cant keep the block, I will just put another intake on it. But Ide like to upgrade if possible. I know my tranny wont take it, and its cheaper to buy a s/c car, but is it possible? If I could find a decent L67 for parts would it be a direct swap? and what else is differant about the engine as far as fuel rail, wiring etc.?

16" Streetwear Diablo wheels | FWI | Magnaflow cat | '94 top swap | MSD Ignition | Projector Retrofit w/ HIDs | Modded Mesh Grille | STB | Blue interior LEDs | LED 3rd brake light | Dynamat | Woodgrain delete | JVC NX-5000 nav/dvd | Infinity 1230W
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674760/19 ... bonneville

Post subject: Re: bottom end swap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
just swap in a whole L67?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

I have already put a lot of work into this block so I want to stay wth it. by now I could have put a whole L67 in, but I didnt expect to go any further that I did. Im keeping my block, even if I have to settle with a replacement intake and rockers.

16" Streetwear Diablo wheels | FWI | Magnaflow cat | '94 top swap | MSD Ignition | Projector Retrofit w/ HIDs | Modded Mesh Grille | STB | Blue interior LEDs | LED 3rd brake light | Dynamat | Woodgrain delete | JVC NX-5000 nav/dvd | Infinity 1230W

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
What have you done to the block? What can't be swapped onto the new block?

This has the makings of a Spoiledred94 thread.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:10 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Ive sand blasted and painted the block as well as changed all the seals and gaskets. It might not sound like much, but it took quite a while to put together. I could do it again on an L67 but ide rather not. If I cant swap the parts onto this engine I wont do it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 GMC Yukon XL
im really confused as to exactly what you are asking. from what i am reading, it seems like you want to supercharge you car, but want to keep your current block, correct? as far as i know it should work, but your engine internals will not be able to handle the extra power for very long. so in the end a L67 block would be inevitable if you want to keep the car supercharged. and once the car is supercharged there are also some wiring issues that would need to be taken care of.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:26 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

I agree we keep going in circles. Can the pistons,connecting rods, crank, and bearings from an L67 fit on my block? If they are swappable then it should be easier to put those parts in my engine, than to overhaul another one from scratch. If the internals are the biggest limitation then swapping them should fix that. What about the s/c wiring, is there anything I cant bypass mechanically? Is the fuel rail differant between the two? I realize that ill need a custom computer, but thats not the focus of this thread. Im not trying to build a 10 second car, just something differant. I just need to know what i will have to modify to make it work together, so I can decide if I want to get into it again.

Last edited by phoenix_flame220 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:21 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI, 2004 SLE
Much easier to swap it all out for the L67 if you want to supercharge. You have to decide what you really want. SC or not, to me it is not worth the trouble, and it may not ever run correctly after all the swapping and electrical work. Sorry, I just don't see the point. Have you considered NOS? It is much less expensive and can be done without much modification to your original engine. It is still on my list of things to do to my 88SSE.

2001 SSEI-304,572 miles, 3.5 Pulley, Intense PCM, Intense FWI Spectre filter, 160 tstat, ngk iridiums, belden wires, Silverstars-high and low beam, rebuilt tranny, shift kit, cooler, Dex VI fluid, replace the rear compressor and lines and level sensor, Monroe air shocks in back, FE5 struts and Moog strut mounts, Moog stabilizer bars, AC\Delco control arms.

2004 SLE-Stock, 195,000 miles,oldest son's baby now

2000 Ford Ranger-Stock, 352,000 hard, pizza delivery miles, new control arms (upper and lower), new(used) tranny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:00 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
phoenix_flame220 wrote:
I agree we keep going in circles. Can the pistons,connecting rods, crank, and bearings from an L67 fit on my block? If they are swappable then it should be easier to put those parts in my engine, than to overhaul another one from scratch. If the internals are the biggest limitation then swapping them should fix that.

To do this right you are going to need to pull the block anyways. Yes it can be done in the car, but not recommended. It would be more of a pita than just putting a whole new drivetrain into it. People just don't understand that if you want a supercharged car it is a lot easier and cheaper to just buy one. As said before, anything can be done, it will just take time and money.

As far as "overhauling" another one, there is not much that would need to be done other than a few seals changed for added insurance. It all depends on the motor you purchase and what condition it is in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
you would need to take apart the old block anyways, so all your gaskets, etc. would come off. Same as if you dropped in a whole L67. the only thing left would be to paint it..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 am 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
If you do not want to mess with the internals of the block...... And listen to me when I tell you, if you put the L67 parts in there, you will be doing a pretty full rebuild... Easier to install a complete L67...

I suggest that you keep what you have, clean up and port the lower and add the Yella Terra Rockers...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
harofreak00 wrote:
This has the makings of a Spoiledred94 thread.
That's what I was thinking...

I'd consider all the past work as practice...

Last edited by PDXGTP on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:13 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1988 and 1987 Buick Lesabre T-Type
Jr's3800 wrote:
If you do not want to mess with the internals of the block...... And listen to me when I tell you, if you put the L67 parts in there, you will be doing a pretty full rebuild... Easier to install a complete L67...

I suggest that you keep what you have, clean up and port the lower and add the Yella Terra Rockers...

Jr's3800 is right about the internals. to swap the internals is pretty much a full rebuild. I am not saying you cant do it just that its easier to swap the whole engine.

If your going to just keep the stock engine i would port the throttlebody, FWI and go with the Yella Terra rockers and if you still want some more power you could add a 75 shot of NO2

Jr's3800 - He has no LIM hes got the LN3

Cream Puff 1988 Lesabre T-Type 194500 miles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

I was just curious if it could be done and what it would take. If I pulled the motor I dont see how it would be that difficult to swap the bottom end out. I already have a FWI and a ported lower, I did it while I swapped the L27 top end onto my LN3. I want to build on what I have instead of going with something completely differant. I was already planning to stay n/a and get rockers, but I thought of this idea when my UIM started leaking.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm 

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
dirtracr95 wrote:
Jr's3800 wrote:

Jr's3800 - He has no LIM hes got the LN3

I do have an LN3.... But I have an L27 in the Transport...

These runners are smoothed and ported... The Flash shows more than you actually feel with your finger..

The Rockers installed

The Ported Lower and the 1.8 rockers made a nice difference from the midrange on up, And I even used the 2.97 Ratio in the van so I could imagine what these mods would do with a 3.33