It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motor swap
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1991 bonnie se
I have a project in my mind, I have a 95 s10 pick up and I have available to me a 97 Grand Prix 3800 supercharged motor... is it possible to turn that motor 90 degrees and put it in my s10? I haven't seen this done anywhere befroe and think it would be WAY cool. Everything I have read so far says that I should be able to do that. Before I jump into my project feet first I thought I would check with the experts ( here on the Forum) Just what would that all involve? Is the block the same as a 3800 out of a camaro or firebird? If not what parts are interchangable? What tranny will bolt up to it, and is this a stupid idea? I need all the support I can get, and thanks in advance for everyones input

Post subject: Re: Motor swap
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:32 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 82 GP
It can and has been done before. The most obvious issue for you will be turning the intake 180* away from the firewall.

As far as transmissions go, you can go with a 4l60e from a camaro/firebird or a 700r4 from an s10. I understand that there's also at least one rwd manual out there that will bolt up.

From what I understand, the 3800 in the camaro/firebird has the same block. Some of the accessories might be different but other than that it has the higher compression ratio that the NA 3800's have.

Personally if I really wanted to put the 3800 in there, I would grab one with the transmission out of an f-body(camaro/firebird) and turbocharge it. This is just because you won't have to deal with the intake/firewall issue. If you really want the supercharger whine though, then I would probably just topswap the camaro engine.

All in all, you're probably looking at firewall modifications and a mess of intake modifications, drive shaft length adjustments, motor mount issues, thorough wiring harness modifications, exhaust mods, fuel plumbing, etc.

being that your truck is a 95, it should already have EFI which makes the fuel line plumbing much easier; the only thing you might need is fuel rail connections and a new fuel pump.

I have never done a rwd l67 swap, however I have swapped an L27 in my 82 Grand Prix. If I were to do it again though, I probably would've gone with an LT1 or something though.

Google l67 swap g-body. the g-body's are very similar to s10's and I have seen a couple of them that worked out pretty well. Also look up "trannyman95". He has done it to an 80's cutlass supreme and knows a lot about these swaps.

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 6.0, Z71. The project mover.
2002 Regal GS: 3.4 pulley, E85, and quicker than my old 99
1982 Pontiac Grand Prix L67, T56, GT45, T56, Holley EFI; It's pretty quick Mod list here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
You shouldn't have to cut up the firewall, but it depends on how much clearance you end up with. On the '82 prix, we had to relocate the throttle body off to the side of the engine. If you have clearance, a 90 degree off the intake to the TB and another bend to clear the master cylinder to the air filter.

This isn't the GP we swapped, but IDK where those pics are stored :poke:

Depending on if the RWD trans has the same controls as the FDW trans, you're also looking at tuning software, additional/modified sensors if 700r4 is used; and that all adds up.

Definately start with the chassis service manuals for both vehicles, and understand where the PCM wiring goes and how it works for both vehicles. The nice thing about the computer controls is the firewall pass-through is a great spot for a wiring harness adapter - meaning you won't need a custom wire harness just an adapter and maybe a few extra wires depending on the level of integration you desire (lot of things can be disabled with tuning software).

Once wiring, intake, and exhaust are worked out, you have to check for clearance for the A/C bracket (delete pulley) or relocate it (welding & fab). You may need to have the flywheel holes for the TCC slotted to match the TCC you are using as well. You need to consider the cooling system, the L67 thermostat cover points toward the firewall if left where it is.

An absolute must have for a major engine swap is a welder, steel stock, a way to cut and shape said steel stock, a budget you don't mind going over, and a lot of time and patience. The little details are what holds up a build. Remember that if you choose to cheap out on something there's always a tradeoff.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Can it be done? Yeah, if you have the time/money/skills.

Honestly, you're much better off swapping a Small Block V8 in. More power, darn near direct swap, lots of aftermarket parts available for it, and no custom fab.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
00Beast wrote:
Can it be done? Yeah, if you have the time/money/skills.

Honestly, you're much better off swapping a Small Block V8 in. More power, darn near direct swap, lots of aftermarket parts available for it, and no custom fab.

Bingo!

RogueSSEi wrote:
Bet she'll stop on a dime and give you 3 pennies back!