It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires for SSEi 2001?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, just hoping to get some input on what tires to choose for this particular vehicle. I bought a set of Mich Pilots a couple of years ago lightly used for $100 (14K on them) installed and they are done. Great price but they are extremely noisy. Many reviews on TireRack and similar sites are filled with ratings of certain makes that range from great to horrible depending on the driver and vehicle they are used on so its very hard to narrow down a model based on user reviews in that respect. I am looking for great traction in wet/snow (without bothering with snows) as well as great handling/control and probably just as important to me a QUIET ride. Not looking for race car performance where I live and the old girl is getting tired fast so not looking to punish it or spend $800 or more on performance tires, we might not even have it that much longer but do not want to put (too) used on it just in case we keep it for awhile. Would consider take offs or low mileage tires and or rims if anyone has them in Southern Ontario (Canada). Thx in advance

Post subject: Re: Tires for SSEi 2001?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my 01 SSEi. Just about 10k later, I still love them and highly recommend them, came out to about 700 bucks before road hazard, but worth it, they are extremely quiet, grip very well in dry and adverse conditions and they have a 60k mile rating If I remember correctly. I did a lot of research and these came highly recommended, I have had no issues with them, I'm very satisfied.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Just be aware that the Primacy's are great, but the rest of the MXV4 line is not so hot.

Doesn't Ontario have a law mandating snow tires?

I definitely DON'T recommend Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds or my Yokohama Avid ENVigor for your usage. The GY's were just junk, and the Yoko's are nice, but not that great in snow.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Check out Pireli P Zero Nero they are a great tire and many pope run them and are very happy with them. They also came stock on some of the Mustangs so you may be able to find a good used set for a good price from a mustang owner that switched to more performance oriented tires.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
SSEiMan01 wrote:
I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my 01 SSEi. Just about 10k later, I still love them and highly recommend them, came out to about 700 bucks before road hazard, but worth it, they are extremely quiet, grip very well in dry and adverse conditions and they have a 60k mile rating If I remember correctly. I did a lot of research and these came highly recommended, I have had no issues with them, I'm very satisfied.

Thanks guys, trouble I have found is that everyone loves their new tires if they have driven less than 15K on them as tread is still good, performance and noise levels still acceptable and dozens of posts I have seen indicate many brands/models are not lasting to even 50% of their given tread wear rating. Of course some may be driving like idiots but many indicated not with average driving conditions. Beast there is no law mandating snows in Ontario as of yet, they just started getting pushed and (noticeably) "popular" about 4 years ago for some reason. Only Quebec to the east of us has a mandate. I have never used snows and never been in an accident in my 24 years of driving (at least not in the snow and not at my fault). I will check out the Primacy's, heard a few good things about them but not with long term use yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:40 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
The BFgoodrich assurance tires I got are great in the dry, but the second any moisture hits the road, I'm spinning my tires all the time. They are very quiet. But they don't handle inclement weather very well. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
My 2000 SSEi that I bought last December came with Continental TouringContact AS tires, which were about a year old. I would not have chosen these myself, but they have given me no trouble in any sort of weather condition (including snow). I only mention this because I believe they are a little lower-priced than some of the other popular Bonneville tires that folks mention around here.

Traction needs vary with driving style -- if you like quick accelerations from a stop, then you will have different gripping needs than a gentle driver like me. Just something to keep in mind as people talk about their favorite tires.

Ken_W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
crash93ssei wrote:
Check out Pireli P Zero Nero they are a great tire and many pope run them and are very happy with them. They also came stock on some of the Mustangs so you may be able to find a good used set for a good price from a mustang owner that switched to more performance oriented tires.

P Zero Nero All Season :) Only this specific model. Other tires carry similar names but are not the same, or worse, are a full out dedicated summer tire. I ran them on the 95 SSEi, great and quiet performer even with a bit of wear, but I can't comment on their snow performance. I would expect them to be a little more summer biased.

My suggestions:

General Altimax HP
BFG Advantage T/A
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
Michelin Primacy MXV4

They are not in any real particular order. Shop around and see pricing, and go with whatever is most comfortable on your wallet.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:19 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 99 SE
99 Suburban 2500 LT
68 Beetle
You can get a list going of a few choices that you might be considering and research further from there.
Tire Rack .com is a good place to get a lot of info on pretty much any given tire. Yes, you can buy from there, but I just use it as a research tool for the tires I'm looking at. Plus it can give you an idea of how much you're looking at spending on tires.

Just my 2 cents.

1999 Bonneville SE with the heart of a 07 Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:38 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Quebec has the mandatory snow tire law.

Pirelli P4
Hankook H727
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Those would be good choices for year-round use.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
wug wrote:
...everyone loves their new tires if they have driven less than 15K on them as tread is still good, performance and noise levels still acceptable...

I fall into this category. I just put a set of General AltiMAX HPs on my 03 last week. They're quiet and have a good ride so far (put 600 miles on them already). Can't vouch for wet or snowy roads yet, obviously. Go to Tire Rack and read the reviews from folks who have more than 12k on them, there are a lot more positive reviews than negative and claims are that they are great on wet roads and quite acceptable in the snow. They cost me about $500; you can easily spend a lot more!

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:

Pirelli P4
Hankook H727

I got the DWS's on mine... I went 1 size wider (245) and 1 size shoter (50 iirc) to equal close to stock. they could not get them in the 235's for some reason, back ordered or somthing. I like them alot, quite, smooth, good traction... Im waiting for my 1st snow to test them out.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi Sold. Thinking about a 2005 GXP
Haven't posted for a few years, but had to add my 2 cents worth: Michelin Pilot Sports A/S directional tires on my SSEi for 4-5 years and 30 thousand miles. Stick like crazy in the corners, accellerate in the rain better than most tires in the dry. Excellent braking with my Cryoslots and Hawk pads. Absolutely smooth and quiet, but almost 900 dollars back in the day. Drive up to China Peak ski area at 7000 ft without cables, but keep them in the trunk to be legal. No issues to this day with balance/death shake and no need for road force balancing due to the inherent quality I guess. Researched them on Tire rack.com as well as on Bonneville Forums before buying them at Costco. Sidewalls are starting to show small cracks, so time to start looking for a replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
AltiMAX HP

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 3.4", FWI, Saner HD sway bars,137K
redzmonte wrote:
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:

Pirelli P4
Hankook H727

I got the DWS's on mine... I went 1 size wider (245) and 1 size shoter (50 iirc) to equal close to stock. they could not get them in the 235's for some reason, back ordered or somthing. I like them alot, quite, smooth, good traction... Im waiting for my 1st snow to test them out.

S

Exactly what I did and I also like them alot.