It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Tires
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1996 SSEi
Plan on getting new tires. I've been look really hard at these. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/eagle1/

Post subject: Re: New Tires
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:40 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I cannot in good faith recommend any Good(for a)year Passenger car tire after all the bad things I've heard, and the bad experience I had with my TripleTreds.

The biggest thing is, where do you live? That will be the base of all of our arguments. Check out places like Tire Rack and Discount tire and see what price they can get you and read reviews. There is no one right answer to what tire to run, it's all about preference, what you want out of them, how much you have to spend, and about 100 other things...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

00Beast wrote:
I cannot in good faith recommend any Good(for a)year Passenger car tire after all the bad things I've heard, and the bad experience I had with my TripleTreds.

The biggest thing is, where do you live? That will be the base of all of our arguments. Check out places like Tire Rack and Discount tire and see what price they can get you and read reviews. There is no one right answer to what tire to run, it's all about preference, what you want out of them, how much you have to spend, and about 100 other things...

I live in Illinois, and I don't plan on getting snow tires. But my tires are so bald now, it's better then what I have. My father knows a guy at Discount Tires that can get them fairly cheaper even though they do have to be custom ordered. I was also wondering what people thought of the "Raised White Letter" look on a Bonneville. Ive never seen it before.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:50 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I think you will be better off going with something else that that guy sells at discount tire.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:56 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Do you of know any other tires that have raised white letters that would fit my 99 SE?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:59 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

No, I don't. I am not a fan of RWL's on modern cars. They only look good if they're the BFG Radial T/A on a 69 Camaro, or on a pickup, IMO.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:17 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
I had RWL on my Bonneville, of course, I did paint them on.

I got my Yokohama YK520s from Discount Tire and I love it so far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:53 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
I just ordered a set of 4 General Tire Altimax HP's http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP. A highly rated and reasonably priced unidrectional all season performance H rated tired. Had them on my Regal and liked the combination of wet/dry performance as well as quiet ride (and they have a cool looking tread too, don't you think?). I'm super eager to feel them on the more aggressive handling Bonneville. The ratings on them are good and my last set was even made in the US which is a bonus I appreciate.

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
jonnevilleSSEi wrote:
I just ordered a set of 4 General Tire Altimax HP's http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP. A highly rated and reasonably priced unidrectional all season performance H rated tired.

Just got these as well. Handle the snow really good.

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Got my new skins on today (The altimax HP's) so far, VERY happy with them. New tires always make me happy! Smoother, quieter and handling like a dream. Can't wait for my next road trip!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
Just drove in the worst weather so far this winter and the AltiMaxs worked wonderfully. 3-5", kinda blowing, plows were on main streets but side streets were fun. Great budget tire if you dont want a dedicated snow tire.

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Initial review of the Altimax HP - Excellent.
Of course comparing old beat tires to nearly anything new might feel like an improvement but I've driven many new tires and these have a confident feel in all conditions. Overall ride is smooth but controlled and by comparison they became much less unpleasant on an unfinished (loud and rumbly) road section than the older bridgestones on there. Cool tread pattern too, images -- soon -- I hope.

Decided to add a statement about RWL.
Raised White Letters might look good if the car is white or possibly silver. I think it would also benefit from after-market extra sports car looking rims in order to pull it off. & car needs to have a tail on it. Nothing beyond factory but something else that suggests this is a sports car. Then the RWL's then are just a touch of old school. On an otherwise stock car and even performance edition it could look out of place, like that was all that was available so I went with the raised white letters.

Another consideration on RWL is the requirement then to always remain with that tire unless you change all 4 at a time.

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2004 SLE
I decided a couple years ago that I wanted a touch of the old school look on my GP, and set about finding RWL to fit. I found that only 225-60-16 was the only size available in RWL unless you went into light truck tires.

I was forced to go down to 15in wheels, and it wasa torrid search to find the proper offset and clearance for the brake calipers. I finally grabbed some Weld look-alikes from Summit in 15x8, 5.5 backspace that worked nicely. I then added BFG 245-60-15 tires, and here is a pic of the end result.

Anything above a 16in wheel in car tires will be a no-go for RWL tires, unless you use a tire marking pen, which can be had in several different colors on eBay.

The Blog, http://www.tobthebat.wordpress.com

Luna LeMans on Smashwords
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/870754

Luna LeMans in Amazon paperback
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983273589

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:33 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Why is this in Detailing and Appearance?

(moving)

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Ghosthawk wrote:
I decided a couple years ago that I wanted a touch of the old school look on my GP, and set about finding RWL to fit. I found that only 225-60-16 was the only size available in RWL unless you went into light truck tires.

I was forced to go down to 15in wheels, and it wasa torrid search to find the proper offset and clearance for the brake calipers. I finally grabbed some Weld look-alikes from Summit in 15x8, 5.5 backspace that worked nicely. I then added BFG 245-60-15 tires, and here is a pic of the end result.

Anything above a 16in wheel in car tires will be a no-go for RWL tires, unless you use a tire marking pen, which can be had in several different colors on eBay.

Wow, that looks a lot better then I thought it would. I have 16in rims nows. So I'd definitely gonna go with RWL for sure now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Photos of a black car at night are a little hard to define. I suppose the black car and RWL's works, similar to white it's a "match", but is it me or does anyone else find the 15" rims a little too small for that size car? How is the handling and acceleration affected by the smaller rim?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:12 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

The overall diameter of the 245/60/15 is virtually identical to the stock 225/60/16, so a wider footprint with no speedo error.
The Summit rims are as light as the stock wheels (maybe lighter) since they are cast aluminum, so no ill effect on acceleration and handling was outstanding with the gas struts/ stiffer springs I had installed.

Most of the wheel gap is due to the Impala springs instead of tire diameter. The GP had a classic case of rear sag, and as we load the trunk every year for our trip to Connecticut, I didnt want any tire scrape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Here's a daytime shot of the car... the rear wheel gap showing the heavier springs