It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heated Seat Woes.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE || 51k miles
A problem with my heated seats has surfaced. It started a few weeks ago, intermittently not working.

What happens is both seats will not turn on. The status lights will not illuminate, but the lights in the switches work fine.

It might be happening when it is wet out. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, sometimes they start working, and then stop working.

Is there a connector or something that could be shorting out to make both seats inoperative? Isn't there a wiring harness in the door sills that can corrode?

I need to have these fixed before it really starts getting cold!!!

Audio: 12" Alpine Type-R Sub || Eclipse XA1200 500w amp

Post subject: Re: Heated Seat Woes.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:36 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: White 2000 Bonneville SLE
Rour RIM could be flaking out. Thats about the only component they both have in common. Different supply circuit. Different control modules. Same RIM.

Any other strange occurences anywhere else in the vehicle?

Current Mods - Transgo Shift Kit, 180* Drilled Thermostat, NGK TR55 & Belden Plug Wires, Suspension Energy Endlink Upgrade, "Stock" 12-Way Power Seats, "Stock" Heated Seats, "Stock" Homelink GDO, Cleared Corners, Pins & Dealer Badge Removed, 2002 56I Center Console, Dash Trim, Steering Wheel and Shifter Swap, Auto-Dimming RV Mirror, Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD MP3/USB Headunit w/ Steering Wheel Controls and iPhone Music Interface, Hood Protector, Gutted Airbox w/ K&N Filter.
Mods in Progress - SSEi Inflator with Stock controls, Chrome "Swoopies" (Have rims, need tires)
Future Mods - Viper 5701 Remote Start with Smart Start and 35% Window Tinting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Randomly the radio presets have been disappearing. I'll hit "1" but it will go to the default frequency on all preset buttons. But then they come back.

What exactly is the RIM?
Hopefully not something major, the car only has 14k on the clock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:44 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Rear Integration Module

I do not believe the radio presets would be involved with that though. I meant lights doing odd things, windows not rolling down, trunk not opening, obvious failures of things.

When the seats are not working, are they turning on for a second and then "clicking" off? It could be a bad element that sitting in a particulalr way makes it connect. If they are just randomly turning off though, I don't know of anything besides the RIM.

Current Mods - Transgo Shift Kit, 180* Drilled Thermostat, NGK TR55 & Belden Plug Wires, Suspension Energy Endlink Upgrade, "Stock" 12-Way Power Seats, "Stock" Heated Seats, "Stock" Homelink GDO, Cleared Corners, Pins & Dealer Badge Removed, 2002 56I Center Console, Dash Trim, Steering Wheel and Shifter Swap, Auto-Dimming RV Mirror, Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD MP3/USB Headunit w/ Steering Wheel Controls and iPhone Music Interface, Hood Protector, Gutted Airbox w/ K&N Filter.
Mods in Progress - SSEi Inflator with Stock controls, Chrome "Swoopies" (Have rims, need tires)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:46 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Radio presets might be its own problem. Im not sure.

Everything else has been working properly. They do not click, the lights don't turn on at all. That's why i didnt think it was a bad element. the car only has 14k miles!

Ugh, is there anything else that could be causing this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:54 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Andrew and some of the others may have additional insight, but, seeing as its intermittant I am going to blame the RIM, or POSSIBLY a bad heated seat module now that I think about it. The heated seat module communicates with the RIM and sends a status signal to the RIM. As best I can understand, if the RIM does not like that status, it sends an "inhibit" signal back to the heated seat modules. Some models (like the one I pulled my heated seat guts out of) run on one signal wire that is jumpered between both seats, so if one heated seat module goes fruit loops, they both die. However, I have seen in some wiring diagrams where it lists a seperate input for the passenger seat. Do they both go out at the same time? If they act independently in going out, it is almost certainly the RIM. If they go out at the same time, it could be one bad heated seat module and a common "inhibit" being fired, or it could still be a bad RIM. Andrew posted the diagnostic procedure the other day.... I'll see if I can track it down.

Diagnostic Procedure is in this thread.

Last edited by Rusgreim on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

I have the procedure bookmarked, and I might try then when I have time, but right now I'm so busy with college, I barely have time for anything. And living in an apartment without a garage to work in doesnt make it much better.

I'm really hoping this is something simple, that I am just overlooking. Some random wire harness somewhere that is getting wet.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:19 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

UPDATE: It is now happening almost 95% of the time. Both seats will not turn on, and the lights will not illuminate either. This is the reason i doubt it is elements, because they don't click, and both go out at once.

Is anyone aware of harness somewhere that could be doing this? A loose connection behind the switches, under the seats, behind the dash?

I really need some help here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:11 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I gave you help. Follow the diagnostic process that Andrew posted. You likely have a bad RIM or one of the seat modules is bad. You'll have to do the leg work to figure it out. It is NOT a wet wiring connector. All of the wiring from the seats is in the car and protected.

So do the work, report back what you find, and we can help you from there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

I was able to go out and look at the car today. Figured it out kinda...

Took the rear seat out and was about to get into the splice pack that connects the seats, and possibly the RIM.

I get in the passenger seat, turn on the seats, and they wont go off now!

I go around to the driver seat, sit down, and bam, they go off.

I pick my butt up off the bottom cushion, they go on again, I sit back down, they go off.

It's something thats happening when the bottom cushion is all the way down (which is where I like it).

I rose the seat up until they would stay on the whole time.

My next question, is what could be grounding/shorting under there? I tried putting some pieces of paper or a t shirt between the seat bottom and motors and such, but it still happened.

I think its something in the seat, kind of right around where the seat seams make a T.

I'm happy that it's "fixed", but I would like to find the real problem, so I can lower my seat back down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Several edits later...

With the seat in the highest position, you are not able to turn them off at all?

At this point it could be wiring OR an element.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

Last edited by harofreak00 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:45 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

harofreak00 wrote:
Take the seat out and inspect the connections, all of them.

I would, but I dont have access to tools like that. I'm at my college apartment, not my house. Its going to have to wait, unless my buddy has the tools at his house. hmm, time to make a call.

Plus, aren't they big torx bolts?

Is there a special procedure for removing the seats, with the airbag and such?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Check my edit...

Yes, they are T50 Torx bolts.

There is a special procedure, but you should have the FSM soon ;)

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

But would one bad element knock both seats out? It isn't clicking either like some have said theirs have.

mmm FSM... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ddalder wrote:
Sure sounds like a wiring problem under the seat, but NOT an element. Maybe an bad module, but again very unlikely. There are very few things (if not only one) that would cause both front seats to stop working at the same time. Since the heated seat inhibit signals is a SHARED line, it’s about the only thing I can think of without seeing it in person. See below. I very much doubt this is a bad RIM. Chances are virtually nil.

In that PM sent to you:
ddalder wrote:
Lastly, if neither of these resolves the problem, it could be a chaffed wire anywhere along the heated seat inhibit signal wiring (from the module back to the RIM). The inhibit signal works by grounding the input on the heated seat module. If the wire rubbed through and was shorting to the chassis, this would have the same effect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:07 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Next step: pull the seat and examine the wiring!

Ugh, I miss my garage to work on cars. nice and heated, lots of tools! :(