It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:32 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 White Gold GXP
Bought an 05 GXP and it only came with one key and fob. Got 2 new keys and fobs. Took car to dealer for them to program the new fobs and the one existing fob. What I am having a problem with is how to get the car to recognize which fob is for Driver 1 and the fob for Driver 2. I have used the existing fob I had (which had a 2 on the back originally) and have done the seat adjustments, radio, mirrors etc. and pressed and held the #2 button on the drivers door until I hear the 2 beeps. When I return to the car the next time and hit the unlock button, the seats and mirrors all move to a different position. Then when I put the key in the ignition and start the car, the DIC says "Driver 1". So how do I get the fobs set for Driver 1 and Driver 2? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:31 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
The dealer should have done that for you.
There is no way to assign drivers to the remotes after they're programmed, AFAIK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
So, the fob number game is really all smoke and mirrors.

The fob with the number one on the back and the one with the number two on the back are electronically identical. The only reason GM assigns different part numbers is because of the numerical identification on the plastic case. When programmed to the vehicle with a Tech2 scan tool, it lets you select which fob to program (1, 2, 3 or 4). The car has no idea what is embossed in the fob, it only recognizes the signal being received from the fob and records that signal in whichever "slot" you're programming.

If you are programming fob #1 (according to the Tech2) but press the buttons on the fob embossed with "2" on the back, the car now believes that is Fob #1. Same goes if you're programming fob #2 (according to the Tech2) but press the buttons on the fob embossed with "1" on the back.

The driver number that appears on the DIC, by default, also corresponds to the programming locations in the remote control door lock receiver. With a Tech2, you can actually change the message for fob 1 and fob 2 on the DIC.

The numbers embossed in the plastic of the fob cases is strictly so each driver knows which fob and keys belong to them to ensure all the personalization settings are correct once they unlock the vehicle.

To change these settings, you need a Tech2.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So, I guess I need to go out tomorrow and see what the other fobs say on the DIC when I use them to see if any are identified as 1, 2 or 3. If all fobs say "Driver 1" on them when I use them in the ignition, I assume I would need to go back to the dealer for them to program them as "Driver 1", "Driver 2" etc.??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Fobs programmed as 3 or 4 don't display as Driver 3 and Driver 4 on the DIC, only Driver 1 and Driver 2 will appear based on the fobs programmed into the first two positions. You cannot have two fobs programmed to the same position. If multiple fobs show as "Driver 1", someone will have changed the DIC display message for fob #2 to read the same as fob #1.

Take all the fobs to the dealer and specify which one you want as #1, #2 and #3. If you have a problem with the DIC message corresponding to the fob number once this is done, I would have them check the DIC message programming. It's accessible through the Tech2 menu, but I'll bet that most dealers won't know exactly where to find this or how to change it.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:49 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Hmmmmm......ok. Went out this morning with all 3 keys (unlocked the door with the key, not the fob) and started the car. All 3 said "Driver 1" and the radio stations were set back to Driver 1. Then I got out of the car, closed the door, locked the doors with one of the new key fobs and then unlocked the doors. Seats did not move. Started the car and DIC said "Unknown Driver". Not sure it's really worth fooling with them to get them to be for Driver 1 or 2 at this point. Never could get a Rubik's Cube to work and I'm thinking this is one in the same...... :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The key itself has nothing to do with personalization settings. In order the the seats, mirrors, etc. to change position, the car must be opened with the fob and not the key. Unknown driver with no change in seats position, etc. means the fob you used was programmed as number 3 or 4. It sounds as though the first fob you tried isn't programmed properly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So when the dealer reprogrammed the fobs, he had a choice to program them as D1, D2, D3?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:12 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Typically, all the fobs get erased and a fresh start is made. You always begin with the fob you want set as driver 1, then driver 2, etc. It's been a while since I programmed any for a Bonneville, but some GM vehicles allow you to specify exactly what number the fob is regardless of what else is programmed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
White64Goat wrote:
So when the dealer reprogrammed the fobs, he had a choice to program them as D1, D2, D3?

Yes. They had a choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
I would go back to the dealer and demand a refund and they will fix their blunder

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am