It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windshield tint
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:26 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Managed to get a rock chip in my windshield on the trip to Michigan. If I replace the windshield and do 50% tint will that mess with the HUD clarity? I know HUD requires a special glass to avoid glare but I’m wondering if adding tint would mess with it? I have to wait for it to crack before I make an insurance claim but my tint guy does work with an auto glass place sometimes so I figured what better time to do some tint than while the windshield is out. He said he’s done tint with the windshield inside that car but the water from applying tint can be damaging to the wiring for HUD and I don’t need that.

'99 Olds Alero GX Coupe the get me by beater- sold
'03 Bonneville SSEi 'Gina' Feb. '16 COTM | 35% tint | smoked tail lights | boat roller mount | carbon fiber accents | Silverline exhaust tips
Ziebart rust protection & undercoating | CompuStar Accustart | LED interior lighting
Intense shift kit | Intense FWI | 3" ZZP downpipe | RDI headers | 3.4 MPS | Autolite 104s | 180 deg t-stat | custom tune | ZZP high flow fuel filter | alum coolant elbows and LIM gaskets | much more to come…hopefully

'15 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD 259 HP | 10k miles | 2-way remote start | undercoating and window tint to come
'98 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 | 112k miles | S&B intake | garage ornament | more to come

Post subject: Re: Windshield tint
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:38 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
I have either 35 or 50% tint on my windshield and it actually made it easier to see the HUD. I can see it during the day better and at night it's clear too.

Edit: My entire car, including my sunroof is 5% but the windshield is less.

2004 Bonneville GXP Crimson Tintcoat- Casual fuel gauge | Brake Performance drilled/slotted rotors front and rear| Retrofit Morimoto mini H1 | clear corners | disabled DRL | 3000K HID fogs | 5% tint | K&N | Yakima rack with fairing, bike rails and kayak rack | Intermittent radio display
1995 Bonneville SSE Deep Amethyst Pearl- SSEI tails | 5% tint | 3 12jlw3v2 in custom enclosure -Gone
1991 Bonneville LE Blue- Alloy spokes -Deceased(deer)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:41 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

With a tinted windshield you will be able to see EVERY little imperfection in the glass. I recommend using a good shop to have it done too, if not, you'll be able to see waves in it where they shrunk it to fit.
When it was tinted, they stuffed a microfiber cloth in the HUD hole and then a piece of plastic over that and we had no issues with moisture.

2004 Bonneville GXP Crimson Tintcoat- Casual fuel gauge | Brake Performance drilled/slotted rotors front and rear| Retrofit Morimoto mini H1 | clear corners | disabled DRL | 3000K HID fogs | 5% tint | K&N | Yakima rack with fairing, bike rails and kayak rack | Intermittent radio display
1995 Bonneville SSE Deep Amethyst Pearl- SSEI tails | 5% tint | 3 12jlw3v2 in custom enclosure -Gone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:00 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Why would you tint the windshield? That sounds like it would be a target for tickets.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:02 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

I've never been stopped for it. I drive ALL OVER too... GR, Detroit, out of state, never had a problem. I've got a Rx for it because of headaches in case I do get stopped though. As I'm getting older, oncoming headlights bother me too but not in my car anymore. I've got perfect vision but it's getting more sensitive to light.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:13 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Well, wait for a nice sunny day, and then blast the windshield with ice water. If that won't finish it off, I don't know what will.

I would love to go with a full UV blocker film, but not a full on tint, mainly because I wear polarized sunglasses and the colorshift messes with my OCD. Not to mention the paranoia of not being able to see at night. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I don't want any excuses.

Glad to know it doesn't mess with the HUD...

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:40 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

50% is pretty marginal. I think it looks better and will blend nice with the 35% that's on the rest of the car. Happy to know it can be done without messing with the HUD clarity. And yes cold garden hose on a hot day should take car of it. It has some pits and is sandblasted already. I do wear polarized glasses and noticed the rainbow effect when I first tinted my windows but it went away after awhile. Maybe it was just me. Also it can provide a little help toward oncoming HID a$$holes. Thanks for all of the input guys.

'99 Olds Alero GX Coupe the get me by beater- sold
'03 Bonneville SSEi 'Gina' Feb. '16 COTM | 35% tint | smoked tail lights | boat roller mount | carbon fiber accents | Silverline exhaust tips
Ziebart rust protection & undercoating | CompuStar Accustart | LED interior lighting
Intense shift kit | Intense FWI | 3" ZZP downpipe | RDI headers | 3.4 MPS | Autolite 104s | 180 deg t-stat | custom tune | ZZP high flow fuel filter | alum coolant elbows and LIM gaskets | much more to come…hopefully

'15 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD 259 HP | 10k miles | 2-way remote start | undercoating and window tint to come
'98 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 | 112k miles | S&B intake | garage ornament | more to come

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
MN cops can be a$$holes about tint, especially on the windshield. It also will probably make the rest of your tint look darker, making you a bigger target for cops...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEI 32,000 miles bone stock
In CA I know that if you have an illegally tinted windshield it can be used against you in the event of an accident. Something to the effect of you knowingly obscured your vision thusly you are at fault for the accident. If you ever hit a pedestrian or something they would fry your ass around here. Similar to drunk driving, never should have been on the road in the first place even if it really wasn't your fault.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:42 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
I came here to double up on the California warning. Any tint on the front *side* windows will get you a ticket. I don't even want to think what windshield tinting would get you. I got a fix-it ticket for having tint on the rear window over the third brake light. I thought I was doing the tint shop a favor by removing the third brake light and rear deck carpeting before having them tint the rear window so they wouldn't be in the way. It never occurred to me that tint over the third brake light would be a problem, but it was. But the FRONT windshield? They probably give you the death penalty or something for doing that!

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:24 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, another cheaper option is to get the chip filled- can be done if there is no spider cracks- if there are, it will get bigger. I did this on my 92 GTP and lasted 6 years- the life of car
I had about 50% tint on my w body cutlass S and it was very hard to see at night on unlit country roads-be aware of this for safety!!!

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:48 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, I also got a 128 bone ticket for tint- in Ontario it is illegal to tint so it obscures both vision from the cabin and vision to the driver from outside cabin
stupid cop gave me inside ticket but gave evidence of outside tint so I had him squirming upon cross-examination- I got off and made him and crown attorney look like fools...LOL

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I've always wanted 50% on my front glass, but the car would become a cave and the Chicago police would have my ass quickly.

I say do it though. Driving a car with tinted front glass is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:03 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

nos4blood70 wrote:
I say do it though. Driving a car with tinted front glass is awesome.

I was pulled over just the other day for the first time in YEARS for having tint. A YOUNG female state trooper came up, I asked if it was for the tint (as I wasn't doing anything wrong), she said yes, I showed her my prescription, she thanked me and I was on my way. Aside from that incident, I am never stopped. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, at least in Michigan.

Just a few of the pros:
Reduced glare
Cooler interior
No annoyance from bright lights
No sun in your eyes
privacy
sleek look
reduced headaches
(if you're like me...)

Cons:
Harder to see at night
(unless you have a retrofit ;) )
chance of being stopped for it (rare in my area)
Your fault in an accident (unless you have a dash cam ;) )
Imperfections in the glass really stand out (I have a small chip)

I say go for it! Mine's a little extreme, 5% all around including sunroof and 35% on windshield. Doing 50% on the windshield will just even out your look, offer several benefits and only a few inconveniences, IMHO. If you do it, show us pics!!

If later on you chip your windshield again, while it's tinted, you WILL see it all the time. They stand out much worse with the tint.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:17 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
I can get most of those pros by wearing sunglasses. But you could always try it, after all it is your car. If you don't like it or get a ticket you can always take it off. I do think that it would be harder to see at night though.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 82 GP
I've often considered getting some sort of polarized layer put on my windshield; something without any sort of tint though. Just a clear polarized layer.
I'd advise against tint for reasons already stated above though.

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 6.0, Z71. The project mover.
2002 Regal GS: 3.4 pulley, E85, and quicker than my old 99
1982 Pontiac Grand Prix L67, T56, GT45, T56, Holley EFI; It's pretty quick Mod list here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
All you need is a pair of these and you're golden... You can be "cool" just like your Grandparents.

I'm in the against crowd in regards to tinting your windows... Too much potential problems, and potential legality issues.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

bs009 wrote:
I've often considered getting some sort of polarized layer put on my windshield; something without any sort of tint though. Just a clear polarized layer.
This could be highly dangerous if you also wore polarized sunglasses while driving. In certain orientations you can completely obscure your sight through the glass.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.