It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XM Radio Install
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
Hey everyone, So I have a '01 SSEi, My question is Whether or not I can Install the XM Antenna Into my Vehicle to be able to get XM Radio, or do I have to take it down to the GM Dealer?

Thanks Everyone!

Post subject: Re: XM Radio Install
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:42 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
You can, but you need more than just the antenna. GM dealers won't do this for you. In addition to the antenna, you need a head unit with a BAND button instead of AM/FM button, some cables, the receiver module and some other additional wiring. Aftermarket may be an option. This info is for OEM installation.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
Alright thanks for the information ! Doing some research on it now , hopefully I can get it working!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:14 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Well, I've actually done this in my car (check the mod list in my sig) sooooo.... What exactly do need to know?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I actually have a wiring harness that I built for another user years ago. He never did send me the money for it so I still have it sitting on the shelf. I'd let it go for a reasonable price. It would take care of the wiring end of things for you. After that, you need:

Roof mount antenna
S-Band receiver (mounts in trunk)
S-Band receiver bracket w/bolts (2)
Extension cable - S-Band receiver module to roof mount antenna
OEM head unit (2003+) - has firmware to support the external S-Band receiver
5A Fuse

With a different head unit, you will need to visit a dealer to have the radio unlocked. You may also need to have an initialization procedure performed on the radio so it will communicate with the S-Band receiver (not applicable if the radio came out of a car that already had the XM option installed). I can document the steps to do this so you can take them to the dealer since they will undoubtedly have no clue what needs to be done. This step requires a Tech2 and can be done in the same visit at the radio unlock, assuming the S-Band module is installed.

Here is a picture of the S-Band (XM radio) receiver module mounted in the left side of the trunk.

This is the head unit with the BAND button (in place of AM/FM). Depending on the year the radio is from, it will have either gray buttons like yours or black one like these in my GXP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
If your Interested I have a XM Antenna and a Reciever that I got out of a U pull