It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sound System!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SE
Hey guys, I am planning on putting two 12 inch Rockford Fosgate P2D2-12 subs in my trunk of my '01 SE. They are going to be powered by an RF T400-4 800 4 channel amp. I need to know what kind of box is going to give me the best sound. Any advice on any of this is greatly appreciated :) .

-Hefty

Post subject: Re: New Sound System!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEI
if sound quality is what you're looking for, A sealed box built (or bought) to the specifications of the subs would give you the best sound quality from those subs. But if you're looking for loudness and aren't as worried about sound quality, go with a ported box.

JX 360/4, Kenwood 6x9, infinity 6.5
Pdx 1.1000 on a W7 12"

1996 Viper GTS - The Rare Drive
11k miles

Autonetworkinc.com .... go buy something ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:39 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
A big vented box will hit hard (high SPL "Sound Pressure Level... Loudness" but will go down in sound quality "SQ"). spec sized seald box will sound cleaner but wont hit as hard. how much trunk space do you want to give up? how loud do you want it to hit? I recently ditched my 1.1cu/Ft seald box for my 12" pioneer premier and went to a 2cu/ft vented box and gained a lot of volume (SPL), sounds about the same in as for sound quality (SQ). Ported/vented boxes tipically hit lower and don't hit as hard in mid/higher bass like a seald box will. I have 2 12's in a sealed box in my Monte, sounds good and hits good. a vented/ported box will hit harder and require less power. Just depends on what your looking for. the monte i didnt want to eliminate all of my trunk space so i went sealed, the Bonnie i have one 12 so i could run a larger vented box and not give up a large ammount of trunk space.

hope this helps,
S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

Last edited by redzmonte on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '02 SSEi
A properly tuned ported enclosure will give the flattest response with the best extension. Even with my twin 18" fi theater subs, sealed wasn't even a consideration. Sealed can give a little more accuracy if you're listening very closely, but for mobile audio, I'm a fan of efficiancy. A single 12 properly tuned will melt your face and dig deeper than two sealed 12s.

Last edited by yourgrandma on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Also depends on what kind of bass you are looking for.

A smaller sealed box will produce a tighter punchier bass while a larger ported box will produce more of a deeper more booming type bass.

For what it's worth I have one Alpine Type "R" 15" sub in a good size sealed box and I want to build a nice big ported box for it. I like the nasty low bass though :lol:

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I want a high SPL with the best quality possible so a dealer made custom box is probably my route. Also is there a better amp i could use for better quality/more power?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I'm not familiar with rockfords line. Mostly because I don't like any of it.

My favorite amps are memphis audio. Look for an M-class 1000D on craigs list. They're usually cheap and they are some of the most reliable, potent amps I know of for the money. One will be more than enough to toast your subs if you want to. I've even run mine at half an ohm and it barely got warm.

As for your box, you could save a wad of cash if you go to parts express. They have a goldwood slot ported box which can be easily re-tuned for better performance. Let me know if you want more info on that route.

No matter what you do, id recommend downloading winISD and play around with different box designs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
^+1.

Rockford fosgate's new stuff = not so good.

Visit diyma.com and SEARCH around over there. There's a ton of knowledge to be had on that site. When you've searched and done your reading, then ask your questions.

I strongly advise against those p2's. Look at some of the SPL setups over there. If you want output while retaining some quality, I recommend one jl 12w7. But, you can't just walk into bestbuy and get those.

In the end, the enclosure matters a ton.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:09 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Alright so after further research I have gone with rf p3d2-12s Instead of the p2s. I'm using a pdx-m12 amp and a CDa-117 head unit. Those subs are going into a custom built band pass box porting through my trunk hatch into the cab. I think this should be a much better setup than what it was gonna be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:01 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

If you hvent actully bought the enclosure yet, I highly recommend you dig a little deeper here. Bandpass boxes are great if you want very high output in a specific range, or pass band. It is very difficult to get accurate, smooth response from any order of bandpass arrangement. Also due to their narrow pass band, they are very difficult to blend with speakers.

My single idq12 in a cheap goldwood slot ported box that I retuned to 24hz or so digs deep and has very respectable output. I don't know what the intended use is, but I listen to practically non stop, filthy, brutal dubstep and I see no need to upgrade my sub setup.

Not to be a downer, but I think you need to read som more before committing any cash to this project.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 95 bonneville sse
Hit up some box designers on stevemeadedesigns, and build an enclosure yourself.

2 DC Level 5 18s
Cactus Sounds K12
4 runs of 1/0
14 batts.
Mtx 4244 and (2) kicker ix404

YouTube.com/user/pitchdarkshadow