PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Via PM from redmetrix (we like to keep this kind of thing on the public board rather than via PM's):

redmetrix wrote:
Hi Bill. Thanks for the input on flushing the cooling system on my 97 L67. Now on to a different subject. I would like to know what would be involved in order to upgrade the stock 6 speaker system on my 97 SLE to the RPO U85 system found on the 92-96 SSE/SSEi. I have heard the U85 setup on a couple different 92 SSE's and I was impressed. I believe the components I need are; the rear dual voice coil 6x9's, the rear deck speaker grills, the bass amplifier, and the dash bezel with the gain slider. Now, I have considered doing this project for years, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I went to the local salvage yard to see what the U85 system actually consists of. I had guessed that the bass amplifier was just a component that plugs in to the radio. I discovered that this was not the case when I examined the 92 SSE at the yard. The wiring that connects to the amplifier goes in to the wiring harness of the car. When I saw this I thought, no way am I going to try and add this system to my car. But then I thought to myself, maybe it is not as bad as it looks. So my question for you is, how involved would this project be? I know I could handle it with some patience.

I would think the main tool I need here is what each wire does on the bass amplifier. Does this amplifier provide power to just the bass voice coils of the 6x9's which are controlled via the gain slider?, this is what I have assumed. From one of your previous posts, I did learn that this amplifer takes inputs from all four speaker outputs of the radio. Also, I would sure think that it would be best for me to get the amplifier and wiring from a 95-96 SSE/SSEi as the wire colors may match up better with my 97.

Thanks for your input,
Chris

It's not as daunting as your initial probe made it appear.

It may interest you to know that this has been done. Ironically, by me. I converted my 95 SLE(SC) with parts from a 92 SSEi. I wanted both of my cars to sound the same.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15686&p=164651&hilit=SLEeper+gain#p164651

In a nutshell, you may very well need the wiring diagrams for BOTH your car and the donor car. You will also need:
1. Speakers (rear only, plus grilles including tweeters)
2. Amp (as much wiring from the harness as possible when you cut it from the car)
3. Bass gain control and bezel (including the harness)
4. Wire
5. Splices/soldering iron/gun

You WILL have to enlarge the rear deck cutouts for the donor speakers. They will not fit your 6x9 openings. The wiring is quite simple after you get the diagrams. The head unit feeds front and rear inputs into the amp (yes, BOTH), then passes the left and right speaker signals un-modified out to the main speakers, PLUS an amplified bass L and R to the sub coils of the dual voice-coil setup.

Power for the amp should NOT come from the power antenna circuit or you won't have amplified bass with CD/Cassette or otherwise.

Other than cutting the rear deck, My wiring only took about 30 minutes, but I had the factory service manuals for both years (and they were surprisingly different, so you WILL need them).

I can't dig through the circuits for you, as I'm in the middle of hosting a meet, and I don't know what year you're getting your parts from, as well as the fact that I don't have a 96 FSM (I have 93 and 95).

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:12 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 1997 SLE factory L67, stock
1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
I will be getting parts from a 1992 car since I have a 92 SSE and a 92 SSEi available at the wrecker I go to, both cars have the 8 speaker system. I do not have a 92 FSM on hand, but I may be able to get by without it.

Went to the wrecker today and picked up an amp from a 92 SSE along with a fair amount of wiring. I learned A LOT by checking out how the system is wired in the 92. I was able to identify 14 of the 17 wires that connect to the amp; (for example: front speaker inputs, rear speaker inputs, left and right subwoofer outputs, and gain control wires) Two wires that I did not identify are a solid black and solid orange wire (I believe the black is ground and the orange is power possibly?, although not sure if the orange wire is constant 12V from the battery or just goes to 12V when the ignition is switched on). The third wire I am refering to is the pink one; I found that the antenna trigger, the pink wire that comes out of the radio, actually spices into two wires; one goes to the amp, the other to the antenna. Does this pink wire activate the amp when the radio is switched on, or does this pink wire actually provide power to the amp?; I would have to believe that this pink wire triggers the amp to turn on just as it triggers the power antenna to go up.

Another thing I noticed is how each wire of the speaker outputs from the radio splice into two wires each, one goes to the amp, the other to the speakers. I have a picture of this below showing the front speaker wiring between the radio connector and the amp. This splicing just happened to stay in tact when I cut the harness from the car although the rear speaker wires did not. Are the rear speaker wires spliced in the same fashion, with one wire going to the amp, the other to the speaker?, I would sure assume so, but not completely sure.

The only other thing I had concern about was the 4 wires that connect to the gain slider. I put a picture below, the red and violet wires go between the amp and slider, But the other two wires are a black and gray, not sure what to connect these to. I believe they are for illumination of the gain slider, which it would not be entirly nessesary to have the slider light up but would be nice to have connected.

For now I just want to familiarize myself with the wiring of the system. Not sure when I'll actually go ahead and do the install, I've got more parts to get.

Last edited by redmetrix on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Absolutely go ahead with the install. Matching wires is the only hard part. 92 and 93 are the same, so I can help you later when I flip through my Factory Service Manuals.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:54 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
On that slider, the other two wires are for illumination.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
I need clarification on what the orange wire on the amplifier connector is for. The orange wire is pin number 12 on the A side of the connector. Would this orange wire happen to be the power wire?

If this is the power wire, does it serve the same purpose as the ignition wire on the radio (where it turns on when the key is put in either the ON or Accessory position?) In this case I should be able to connect this orange wire to the ignition wire on the radio.

And the black wire which is pin 9 on the A side of the connector, this is ground correct? If so I should be able to safely tie it to the ground of the radio, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:51 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
I'll let you know when I get home to my manuals in about an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
Thanks Bill, that would be great

Last edited by redmetrix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
A little later than expected due to WCBF wrap-up and work calling me constantly since I snuck out a bit ago:

For the parts taken from the 92 (per my 93 FSM's)....

Gain control - Red is gain input to the amp, pin 7. Purple is gain input to the amp, pin 20. Black is ground (anywhere). Grey is the feed for interior lamp dimming, so run that to the factory radio harness wire for the same purpose.

AMP - Black is ground pin 4 (anywhere). Orange is battery input (always on, not ACC), pin 1. Pink wire (pin 8) goes to the power antenna wire on the factory radio harness.

Is that what you're after?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:42 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
Yes, this is what I was after.

Gain control - so I run the grey wire to the "DIM" pin on the radio harness (pin 3).

Amp - Orange is battery input, just as orange is on the radio harness.

That's what I needed to know, really appreciate the help guys. It was't too bad afterall figuring out the wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Go for it. I have to tell you that after I converted my 95 to sound more like my 93, it was worth every minute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
The conversion should give me a bit more punch and a bit more clarity, which is what I am looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:14 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
With an aftermarket HU, it's even better. Anyone without the budget for better aftermarket sound, with or without an aftermarket HU, should do this. The cost is minimal, the sound quality is a HUGE improvement over the standard non-SSEi sound. I'm actually surprised others haven't done this like I did until now.

Last edited by willwren on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:28 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1992 SSEi
1990 GP SE
I will be keeping the factory CD player with 7 band EQ. I really wanted to have a car with this system in it, it was either convert this car or sell it and find an SSE that has it.