PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
trf, on yours the shock is not really a critical component. The best option for yours is this:

willwren wrote:
No, there are not.

Our mounts are quite different, and typically aren't a problem other than the front trans mount at about 100k, and the torque-axis mount a little bit later in life. You can try what I did though (keep in mind this is my 4th prototype, but works very well and is adjustable):

(remember, this is for 92-99, the front trans mount)

Update, several days later. Round 3 is done.

The ammo. Leftover endlink bushing from the 'rear' universal kit, endlink washer, allthread, lockwashers, standard nuts, and nylock nuts:

This is where it's going. We're looking down from the top of the radiator. Rear of the car to the top of the pic, front of the car to the bottom of the pic. That black trans mount is going to get drilled from bottom to top:

Remember that long drill bit in the first pic? It cost me $11. 3/8" diameter. I drilled through (be VERY careful doing this, you have to hit a very small pocket between the mount and trans, and if you miss, you won't be able to get the back side nuts on). I had to use my cordless drill to 'screw' the threaded rod in and out because of the grip of the rubber in the mount:

Here's the other end. I hit the zone. It's still going to be tough to get the washers and nuts on:

Closer view:

Now let's modify that polyurethane bushing. We're taking the little ring off the top so that it sits flush on the bottom face of the mount. the top in this pic (as viewed) will be against the mount:

Here's the bushing with the 'crown' shaved off:

Fitting the length to cut the rod. Make sure you leave enough on the other end for a washer, lock washer, and 2 nuts:

Cut to length:

Daddy got a head start, and had to recruit Katie, still in PJ's, for the extra set of hands. She handles the impact wrench like a pro:

Flat washer, lock washer, standard nut, and Nylock nut on the back side:

Endlink polyurethane bushing, endlink washer, lockwasher, standard nut, and nylock nut on the front (bottom) side:

Tightened to compression+. So it's just starting to swell.

This mount should naturally damp vibration almost as well as stock. It will use the OEM rubber wedge for compression (letting off the gas), and the poly bushing for extension or tension (rolling on the loud pedal).

Road test coming soon.

Guess what? I BROKE that one. Granted, I'm putting a bit more torque through this thing than most people, but I improved it.

Hold the presses. I broke it today.

Not sure if it was grade 2 or grade 5. Snapped in half (tension, not shear) leaving the parky lot for lunch a little while ago.

It snapped in half inside the rubber block, sounded like a rifle shot hitting the front of the trans. It was the INSIDE half that broke off and came out. The lower half including bushing are still stuck in the rubber.

I think it may be time to increase the allthread grade and possibly the diameter also.

Grade 2 is 74,000psi tensile strength.
Grade 5 is 120,000psi tensile strength.
Grade 8 is 150,000psi tensile strength.

Bare minimum, under hard accelleration, It took 37 TONS per square inch to snap it. Possibly up to 60 tons depending on grade. Time to go shopping again.

It would have been worse if the other end had broken and shout out. Trans cooler lines are directly in the path. Just imagine how much energy it had coming out. And the velocity it would have been travelling at.

I'll be cross-drilling and safety-wiring the next version. Tethers if it makes more sense.

Edit: Found the nylock on top is mashed. Going to look at the car. Pics soon. Everyone in the car FELT the broken piece hit the trans. Not feeling the mount flex, but the actual shot from the broken piece.

Edit again:

Went out and found the washer. 316 Stainless. Just like the threaded rod. Stronger than Grade 5 by a small margin. Upgrade that to 120,000psi or 60 tons per square inch. This being 3/8 or .375, it's taken somewhere around 20 tons of force to rip it apart in tension.

I'll work something up for you guys shortly. I got a 3/8" LONG drill bit at Home Depot to allow me to drill it in place without removing the mount. You have to be VERY careful to drill straight. It's best to have a spotter above AND below. I suggest putting a white mark on the top of the mount. Even white tape. In a straight line along the drill path. Then paint the drill bit white so the top spotter can see both the tape line and the white bit to keep you straight.

When you get through the lower face of the mount and the rubber, STOP and insert the threaded rod, stand back, and make sure you've come into it straight. If not, use the drill bit as a mill and 'work it' over to where you need it before drilling through the rear (trans side).

The best washers to use are the ones that come with the universal endlink kit, which you need anyway to get an endlink bushing for the project. I used a standard Stainless nut on each side, backed up with a nylock to keep it from backing out. Like I said though, I'll work something up in cad for you guys.

That shows the tape reference on the top for the right angle. Be aware it's VERY critical you hit the EXACT spot on the back side, and it's very difficult to place a nut and washer back there. I welded a box-end wrench to that nut, and left it in there to 'back up' the nut when I'm adjusting tension on the bottom side. The wrench is captured between the mount and trans to prevent it from rotating naturally (then I cut the open-end of the wrench off). The wrench stays long-term on mine.

In the pic above, the gray washers and nuts are standard. I chose 316 stainless. The gold washer comes with the endlink kits (Energy Suspension poly endlink kits, or buy the universal bushing/washer set). The blue nut is a nylock for safety to make sure it doesn't work loose.

To adjust it, I back the nylock off until its flats are aligned with the nut between, then use a deepwell socket on BOTH, to either add or remove tension. Then I tighten the nylock back against the other nut when I'm done.

Let me be clear......it's very easy to MISS the little pocket in there that you need to hit, so use the spotters as I detailed in MY PREVIOUS POST ABOVE.

Keep in mind, get the strongest grade or ASTM hardened allthread to start with. I've also attached a wrench to the back side that prevents that rear nut from moving so it only takes one person to adjust the tension on the mount.

The beauty of the design, if done properly, is that it's adjustable. I can tighten it up for the track. I now have the rear nut 'retained' so I only have to adjust from underneath.

(Edit, we should probably get this back on topic out of respect for the topic author. If you have any questions, just start another topic in P/B)

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

Last edited by willwren on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Quote:
I think she reacts a bit quicker to the throttle now. That's probably just in my head though, I doubt I'd feel that difference.

It's not in your head. You should be able to feel the difference when accelerating hard or at the track.

Use the end link like Bill showed above and put it under the bolt head under the frame on the '00+ cars. My grade 5 bolt is holding up fine after 4 WCBF's. :wink:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
So far, no luck finding a grade 8 rod. And I hadn't noticed any bolts long enough. Checked Napa, Advance, Lowes, and Ace Hardware. I have a couple more places I can look though.

So far, I'm loving it though!

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:31 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Booze, look for a Fastenal, or other place that specializes in nuts and bolts. They're more likely to have an oddball bolt like that.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:04 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEI
ALL STOCK (FOR noW)
humm.. i wonder if thats whats wrong with my mount it moves a nice amount and it's as tight as it can get humm this has me thinking about my hard shifts now

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
WhiteArrow3800 wrote:
So far, no luck finding a grade 8 rod. And I hadn't noticed any bolts long enough. Checked Napa, Advance, Lowes, and Ace Hardware. I have a couple more places I can look though.

So far, I'm loving it though!

I got mine at fleet farm, but that was grade 5. but i would think ACE would have it. they have every bolt and nut out there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Never seen a Fastenal, Ed. There is a store called York Bolt that I'm gonna try near campus but I got there too late tonight.

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:19 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Oh, we have one near us, and they stock our bolt bin that we have here at home.

http://www.fastenal.com/

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Last edited by 00Beast on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
York bolt had what I wanted. :banana:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Sweet!!!

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:32 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 GMC Yukon XL
nice work killin the mount booze :P

glad you got it fixed for good tho.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
seems like a few of us are having this same problem.viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9497
I just did mine but am upgrading to a block of rubber from a semi trailer (which they use to dampen vibrations) This way there is no risk of the vibration caused by the hockey pucks harming anything weak on the car. Especially under the dash.

FWI, converted low beam bulbs into high beam bulbs, 20% tint all around, MSD wires, NDK TR55 plugs, auxiliary line in, scan gauge, custom FloPro/MagnaFlow Cat back exhaust
2002 Bonneville SE

Last edited by Night Crawler on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I used a rubber mount used to dampen vibrations on machinery at my dad's work also.. the vibration comes not from the pucks, but from the bolt or nut touching the bottom of your frame.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:21 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

oh ok, so i should get a couple rubber washers for under the frame then?

FWI, converted low beam bulbs into high beam bulbs, 20% tint all around, MSD wires, NDK TR55 plugs, auxiliary line in, scan gauge, custom FloPro/MagnaFlow Cat back exhaust
2002 Bonneville SE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

yup. that or an old endlink or something to put between the bolt and the frame, the metal on metal will cause vibration.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 91 S10 P/U
97 SSEI- 136k
i;m guessing the bushing, not the endlink??

No bonnie!
93 s10 ex cab: 2.8: t5: exhaust: tbi mods. 5.3, 76mm, and a D.r cam on a stand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

i guess the "bushing" part form an endlink kit.. obviously not the metal rod :booty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

sorry not to familiar with all parts of a car. What does this part look like?

2002 Bonneville SE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

the red things at the top of the page that bill posted

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

so basically another small block of rubber?

2002 Bonneville SE