It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bonnie in progress
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:02 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
so I think its time to make a post about the work in progress that's my bonneville and making a list of what needs to be done still and future

so I guess we'll start when I first picked up the car for what needed to be done and still needs to be done
wash and wax: forever needing to be done
refinishing headlights: finished for now but needing to be replaced due to cracks in the lenses
rear shocks and air lines: lines were worn through due to whoever replaced them last (finished and replaced with kyb)
rear air compressor blown due to over running: replaced with jy part (finished)
rear brakes: replaced but needing replacement again. gotta find out why the rotors are rusting away
parking brake cable: frozen due to never being used from previous owner
rims: old chrome 5 spokes have chunks missing, chrome peeling, and overall out of balance unable to be balanced properly (replaced for winter rims but summers will be ordered shortly)
front brakes: replaced with high carbon rotors (from pepboys) and ceramic pads I actually suggest them (finished till worn out)
front struts: just replaced with KYB (finished)
brake lines: swapped all lines cept flex lines due to being in the salt belt (finished)
frame and gas door rust: needs to be started
heated seats: fixed drivers but need to fix passenger again
door seals: been having water ontop of the seals at the bottom of the doors, tried swapping out seals tried resealing the plastic liner inside the door
floor mats: found an amazing set at the jy (finished)
engine mounts: has anchor mount in place in front and trans mount was shot completely and was replaced

upgrades!
radio and speakers have been replaced with kenwood parts
gxp strut tower bar
18 inch rims all around
front brake rotors: high carbons

pictures soon to come from start to current!

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

Post subject: Re: Bonnie in progress
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Awesome. It's good to keep a to-do list around somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:53 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

and time for progress pics! these 1st group of pictures are the 1st fall I had the car. I love taking fall background pictures. had the car for about 3 years now so got quite a few pics to add

1st winter issues. work decided to not plow out the snow drifts in -14 degrees. had no choice but to barrel through them and shattered my front bumper. I was pissed beyond all hell. needed 18 inch rims for my free snow tires my dad gave me from his old gxp

car still cleans up nice in salt country. needed to clean it so I could tape the pieces into place

did some cleaning after winter and added yellow fog light bulbs. I like them in the rain and snow. taken in front of the fabled kmart

now.... for this year finally
1st heavy snowfall and driving home late at night does some cool things on the back of these cars with dual tips

and our heavy as hell snow storm someone spot the Bonneville?

and progress on the front bumper finally instead of duct tape

foglights were super pitted. sanded them down so they were clear and polished them up

all clean about a month ago

and decided to sand and polish the exaust tips. quite a difference

new pics soon of current car once the new rims arrive

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

oh forgot to add anyone have any ideas on this? rear brake rotors keep rotting out, car's daily driven, new rotors and pads and caliper but still seems to keep happening..... Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:47 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Take a black magic marker and draw a few lines on the rotor and see if braking during a week does anything to the lines. You might not be using the rear brakes enough to keep them cleaned up from rust being able to attack them and pitting them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

redfury wrote:
Take a black magic marker and draw a few lines on the rotor and see if braking during a week does anything to the lines. You might not be using the rear brakes enough to keep them cleaned up from rust being able to attack them and pitting them.

Any way to adjust that? I do mostly city driving anyways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

decided to add an under hood picture. didn't know it looked like a stupid golf ball underneath

Last edited by Luxrain on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:16 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

and my jerry- rigging for a quick disconnect for the rear speakers if I ever remove them. don't judge the ducktaped subwoofer.... I started my last sub on fire and this is the one that magicly cracked lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:40 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Well, there's no way to adjust how much the back brakes get used, the proportioning valve does that, but if the calipers are binding, they may not be allowing the brakes to function properly. Either that or they are binding and heating up the rotors to the point of all those cracks and erosion. I'd want to see if the pads are wearing crooked or unevenly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:04 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

redfury wrote:
Well, there's no way to adjust how much the back brakes get used, the proportioning valve does that, but if the calipers are binding, they may not be allowing the brakes to function properly. Either that or they are binding and heating up the rotors to the point of all those cracks and erosion. I'd want to see if the pads are wearing crooked or unevenly.

so the caliper has already been replaced, I haven't pulled it apart yet since I needed to get rims and tires since the ones I had were complete and total crud. the wear is slightly uneven due to the odd wear surface but I haven't pulled them apart yet. ive had issues like this since I bought the car 3 years ago. and my dads had the same issue since he got his lesaber in 09. we both have used differing brake pads and rotors. it doesn't look like its cracked in any way just pitted and ive never smelled them for being overheated. I don't think they make an adjustable proportioning valve for our cars I'm assuming lol. I can also get a current pic of the rotors on what they look like now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
There won't be a proportioning valve on rear disc brake cars, normally.
The only way to help deal with the rust issue is to paint them when they are new. Have you checked the slide pins, and the slides? It looks to me like the slide pin is seized. If a pad is hanging up it won't wipe the surface enough to clear the rust off, eventually the rust will pit the wiping surface. You could spray on some paint, let it dry, and see what the contact patch looks like after the first stop. What does the back side contact patch look like?

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:45 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

the slide pins are the tabs on the pads correct? i know i put generous amounts of brake grease on those tabs. i havent pulled apart the brakes just yet because if im pulling them apart im replacing them. the paint idea wont that affect the way the pads wear if new? also i can take a current pic of the rotors since there is a small little spot where its starting to make a clean wear spot around the rotor lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Slide pins hold the caliper to the bracket or knuckle, I think on these the caliper bolts bolt directly to the pin. The caliper has to be able to float freely along the slide pins, the slides for the pads that you mention only allow the pads to freely move when the caliper pushes them, the force of braking is applied to the bracket or knuckle directly. All the caliper does is clamp the pads down during braking, it doesn't actually hold anything together.

Basically, if you didn't need something to hold the slide pin from spinning when you unbolted the caliper, then they stuck enough to hang the caliper up, and need to be cleaned (replaced if damaged) and the hardware, usually a rubber boot or O-ring, needs to be replaced. Then you need to clean out the pin mount, and re-grease everything inside the slide pin.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:43 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

so the problem is its the rear caliper, ive replaced the entire assembly and everything, its a whole assembly that the caliper just swings to remove the pads. stupid yet smart design in my mind. when i installed it (which was the last time it was taken apart before winter) it moved freely and i greased everything that was available to grease. i know i need to replace all the other calipers on the other 3 wheels since the bleeder screws are frozen in place. the weird wear is on the brand new rear passenger caliper but i had this issue before replacing the caliper that was happening on both rear rotors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The caliper slides right off the upper pin then once it's rotated up, I wouldn't rule it out completely just yet as the new caliper may have had a defect in the pin boots or the grease got washed out over winter?

Usually, if everything is working as it should, the pad will wipe the rotor clean every time you use the brakes, it should stay smooth. If the car sits for a while, the rotor can start to pit from rust, or if a pad isn't making good contact with the rotor it won't wipe it clean. That's why I was curious if it's just the outside or both sides of the rotor.

edit: Check out how rusty these are, but the friction surface is still clean.
2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic12685.html

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

it used to be just the inner pad before, currently im not positive if its the inner this time again since its a pain to see past the sheild. if i remember correctly the pad isnt a flat surface and has a raised spot where some of the rotor gets worn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

so heres a few pics of the rotors currently on the car. 1st few are the passenger side. don't mind the peeling rims they will be off the car after next week

and this is the drivers rear

and this is the drivers front. these are high carbon rotors on the front. I LOVE THEM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:50 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

just hit 130k and still going strong!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:56 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Looks like a fair bit of progress since I last checked in here. Both our 2003 SLEs are around the same mileage and still going strong! Haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI/2007 TBSS/2004 CTS-V
Looking good! I like the fog lights.

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint