It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '93 SSEi
'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Last few days have been slow progress on this project, something about it got really cold last week so I decided to work on indoor projects...

But this weekend I managed to get started on this again. Getting interior parts cleaned and ready for installation, the biggest headache being the headliner because the front fender and then door have to come off to get it out without damaging it. Decided to re-do the headliner and some of the pillar trim.

Trying to decide if I want to add the base dome lamp to the overhead console headliner - or just leave it alone. Probably just going to leave it alone and put it all back together again. At the moment I'm working out how to replace the failed hook and loop (kinda like velcro but better) pieces with a more positive attachment. Trying to avoid the staples that didn't work on the fiberboard.

Runs:
'93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - Twincharged, manual, and lots more! Build thread
'97 Chevy Camaro - 3800 supercharged, T5, T-tops
'05 Cadillac STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Olds Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'84 GMC Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 Buick LeSabre - L67 winter DD
'92 Pontiac Bonneville SSE future project

Doesn't run:
'87 Buick LeSabre T-type - future victim
'67 Buick LeSabre - future victim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
So after pulling the headliner out of the parts car, I wasn't at all happy with the state of the fiberglass. It was starting to break up around the main attachment holes. The original gray one was about the same. Both were faded really bad, the exposed edges were pinhole melted from heat exposure, the rear sails delaminated and worse off.

I tried to remove the old headliner and foam from the donor without damaging the hard adhesive layer, but that didn't work out. Annoying, but that's how the last few headliners have gone. This time to repair it I tried using epoxy resin. Initial odor is gone in 24 hours, compared to the 4 months of horrible stink I've dealt with using polyester resin (fiberglass resin).

I ended up using a 3" paint roller, wrapped tightly with electrical tape, to spread the resin. By far superior to trying to brush it on. I used the old headliner as a nest for this while it cured overnight. My initial observations are that the epoxy resin, while about 2x's the cost of polyester resin, is far superior. Zero shrink, mild odor during the first 24 hours, and far easier to sand smooth once cured. The headliner on this car measures in at about 5x6 feet in raw material. I'm using a 1/8" polyurethane foam with a polyester scrim backing and 10% spandex faux suede polyester fabric. Details that might prove useful when selecting spray adhesives... Foam side goes down against the headliner backer, 3M and locktite make some good sprays adhesives readily available, but they won't work to glue the fabric to the foam. You need a headliner specific spray for headliners, no matter how light they are. It has a lot to do with the adhesive as well as the spray pattern. You can make 3M 90 or locktite 300 work for the most part, but I've already had a few small failure areas as a result of the spray pattern and material stretch, taking too big a bite in area to wet out at once, etc.

Decided to make the pillars nicer that the Cadillac:

While all this stuff is drying out and curing, etc. I decided to work a bit on some 3D printed parts. First up are the clips for the A-pillar. I broke the first clip figuring out how to take it off - and then every single one after that because they were too brittle...

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Looks awesome! You're inspiring me to take care of some of the headliner projects I have to tackle, and with more than thumbtacks this time! :lol:

I like that you wrapped the pillar covers too, our Cadillac has that pool table felt covering the pillars, if it were a nicer material it would look a lot better. Might have to copycat that myself.

92 Chevy Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Storage Occupant
03 Buick Park Avenue Ultra | L67/4T65E-HD | 194K | White Diamond Metallic w/Shale & Cashmere Int. | Rust Free Southern Sourced Summer Daily Driver
99 Chevy Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 240k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Daily Winter Rig / Tow Pig and Portable Concert Hall
04 Cadillac Seville SLS | LD8/4T80E | 212k mi | Red Jewel Tintcoat w/Shale & Grey Int. | Nicest Beater Around
09 Chevy Malibu LT | LE5/4T45E | 205K mi | Seafoam w/Blk Int. | Fuel Miser Daily
13 Ford Explorer XLT | 3.5/6F55 | 155k mi | Kodiak Brown w/Blk Int. | Unbreakable, somehow
James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
So I don’t know if I asked this but why not get the headliner material with the foam on it already from the fabric store?

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2001 Volkswagen Passat, 1.8T 5MT......winter beater

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Because the 90's headliner fabric is just garbage, overpriced, and every fabric store I've been to you have to order it. If I could get the textured fabrics they started using around 2009 I would, but that's not stretchy so it's formed in a press so no real way to wrap it at home. Also this way I can use whatever fabric I like.

Also the underlying design failure, or rather cost cutting measure, of the foam bond to the fabric is not addressed with just buying a new headliner. Doing it this way I'm using a adhesive that's not going to break down the foam over time. So unless I missed a spot the headliner won't sag again.

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
I've been making steady progress, working out details like getting the donor lock cylinders re-keyed, adapting the '98-'99 air bag module to fit the '97 mounts, and going through the interior re-install with a fine tooth comb to do everything possible to make sure there are as few squeaks and rattles as can be. Every loose wire gets taped down, all close fitting parts and joints are getting soft foam pads or felt tape, etc.

Depending on timing constraints, I'm replacing every incandescent bulb in the IP/Dash/interior courtesy lighting with LEDs. I'll be updating the head unit in the Camaro, so taking the one in it now and moving it to the Buick. New speakers to replace the rotting out paper ones, etc.

Working on 3D printing new A-pillar clips! This one is about two versions behind where I ended up.

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
I just broke the two A pillar clips on the 92 SSE today running the mic wire for the new HU up to behind the visor. :btruestory: :lol: That one looks much more robust.

92 Chevy Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Storage Occupant
03 Buick Park Avenue Ultra | L67/4T65E-HD | 194K | White Diamond Metallic w/Shale & Cashmere Int. | Rust Free Southern Sourced Summer Daily Driver
99 Chevy Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 240k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Daily Winter Rig / Tow Pig and Portable Concert Hall
04 Cadillac Seville SLS | LD8/4T80E | 212k mi | Red Jewel Tintcoat w/Shale & Grey Int. | Nicest Beater Around
09 Chevy Malibu LT | LE5/4T45E | 205K mi | Seafoam w/Blk Int. | Fuel Miser Daily
13 Ford Explorer XLT | 3.5/6F55 | 155k mi | Kodiak Brown w/Blk Int. | Unbreakable, somehow
James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
I've been making the usual progress on this project, just wanted to share the 3D printed A-pillar clips. They snap in nice, retain perfectly, and are serviceable!

I've been fiddling around with the stereo opening a bit, wasn't deep enough for the radio I will be using. Now that I've figured that out I can finally button up the dash. Hoping to have the interior (except door panels) all done by the weekend, and get the drivetrain back in over the weekend.

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:37 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Well, I got a lot done this weekend. The car is mostly back together again. I have to fix some things on the door panels, make sure everything inside the doors work right (locks, windows, lights, etc) to finish the interior. I have one thing to redo/undo on the engine harness as I now have a '99 body harness, and then I need to switch over the ignition cylinder to keep my keys.

One thing I need to figure out though. I put LEDs in all of the interior lights. The Brake warning light is now lit at all times. The LEDs I used are from superbrightLEDs so you can plug them in in any direction and they work. It's brighter while the interior lights are on, but never fully turns off. I have to check the wiring schematic, but not sure why it's able to turn on with the ignition off?...

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
After reviewing the wiring diagrams, I think I have a possible idea for why the brake light is always on with the LED.

The power supply side of the circuit is only supposed to be hot in run or start. It shares power distribution with the chime module.
The ground side of the circuit is shared to the BCM; such that any of the switches that activate the brake light also ground the pin on the BCM. Inside the BCM, this pin is the ground for a pull up resistor. The way this is wired is that +12v (it claims it's IGN switched...) goes through a resistor to this pin, so it technically can provide current in reverse to the brake LED. However, at this point, I haven't found the +12v hot at all times current leak. But at least I think I know where I need to add a diode.

The trunk light has me a little intrigued. Because it can only pass current one direction, it means that the leak has to be downstream. The only thing downstream is the switch for the trunk lid. I think the latch has the switch and the security stuff all integrated, but I need to see a diagram of it or just start taking it apart to understand what's going on there.

Runs:

Doesn't run:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Decided to dig into my NVH experiences and make some upgrades:

I had to do some extensive repairs to one of the door trim panels. Ended up making a special tool to extract the upside-down pal nuts that hold the wood trim pieces on. Then I had to fix two of the latches because the lock/unlock wasn't working. I'm just about finished with this phase of the project though. I'm currently waiting on the ignition cylinder parts. Apparently, it wasn't a key issue I'd been having, it was a broken wire on the cylinder.

Runs:

Doesn't run:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8