It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:43 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 82 GP
Too bad it won't help much when it comes time to pull the pedal assembly and wiring harnesses from the Camaro though. Really dreading having to go pull all of that junk and then pull the dashboard in the Grand Prix.

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 6.0, Z71. The project mover.
2002 Regal GS: 3.4 pulley, E85, and quicker than my old 99
1982 Pontiac Grand Prix L67, T56, GT45, T56, Holley EFI; It's pretty quick Mod list here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

So today I was able to finish putting together the main items on the engine.

I spent some time cleaning the rockers, pedestals, and valve covers today. Here are those installed with the new pushrods:

I also drilled out holes in each valve cover and tapped for 3/8" NPT so I can run lines for the catch can off of these. I put the holes on the back so you can't easily see them when looking at the front of the engine:

intake and valve covers finally bolted on:

I'll need to make sure I plug the PCV port too while the throttle body is off too. That's it for today though. :beerchug:

1982 Pontiac Grand Prix L67, T56, GT45, T56, Holley EFI; It's pretty quick Mod list here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:08 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Latest snag:

So I spent some time pulling the pedal assembly out of the Camaro only to find out that this assembly won't really fit as well as I'd like it to. A lot of the stuff I was reading out there was that the 3rd gen f-body pedal assembly basically bolts in with some modification to the mounts and the pins and that the 4th gen stuff was pretty similar.
Seems like that's not the case though. the 4th gen pedal assembly is all one piece and is too wide to really fit in here. I ended up cutting the clutch pedal from the others here to try and make it fit. I thought I had pictures of that, but I guess not.

I pulled the dash out of the GP so I could work around the pedal assembly better. Notice how much space there is between the gas and brake pedals...

It turns out though that the original throttle pedal from the GP has near enough movement to go from 0 - 100% throttle without modification. Going to 100 though puts the pedal way too deep into the carpet though. I'm going to cut the pedal arm and space it out more towards the back of the car which should also put its depth closer to the brake pedal and make heel and toe easier.

Adding the camaro clutch pedal to the left puts it over the fuse block and C100 connector and would put the master cylinder into the wheel well... :banghead:

I was really banging my head against the wall over this yesterday and got tired of looking at all of this so I called it quits. :banghead:

I really don't want to mess around with making this fit so I bit the bullet and just ordered a 3rd gen camaro clutch/brake pedal assembly. This assembly isn't as wide and it puts the brake pedal closer to the gas pedal. There are also tons of write-ups out there showing how to make this one fit. I'll need to do a little modification, but this seems easier than dealing with that 4th gen pedal.

Once that gets here I'll be able to massage that one in there and throw the dash back in and put the front clip on.

I also started working on gathering all of the parts for the turbo manifolds. I've decided to create my own power logs to try and save space on the sides of the engine. I ordered a bunch of stainless steel bends and then hacked my old POS SSAC headers to use the flanges:

and here they are, liberated from the old headers with the new exhaust tubing:

So now it seems like things will go somewhat in this order:

- install clutch pedal and master cylinder
- reinstall dashboard,
- reinstall front clip
- tack up exhaust manifolds
- work on wiring harness while I have Matt TIG weld the manifolds.
- install a downpipe and the cold side of the turbo
- plumb everything (turbo oil lines, power steering, radiator, fuel lines, etc.)

and finally, I think after all of that, it should be good for the first start.

I'm hoping to have this running by the end of September depending on how long the wiring harness and the exhaust stuff takes.
I've also recently learned though that I may need to modify the fuel sender since the 5/16" line is the evap line and the 1/4" line is the return line so that should also be fun to sort out. So who knows how long this will really take with stuff like this coming up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Fixed the fuel pump sending unit. Not pretty, but she'll do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:05 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Much better updates for tonight.

Fuel tank is installed now. I'll have to finish plumbing the lines together this weekend and figure out how I'm going to make this piece of metal I cut off removable:

Installing the tank was a royal :ballkick: . I don't want to have to take this thing down ever again so I cut the hole here. I'll figure something out for this sometime later:

I also did more work on the pedals here. I decided to stick with the original gas pedal from the Grand Prix and just modified it since it sticks too close to the floor of the car. If I didn't do this then I would really have to press it into the carpet in order to get full throttle. Now I can get there with a little less than an inch to spare.

I also found I was able to use the original throttle cable from the Camaro. I was really worried about finding a cable long enough, but really this one is almost too long!
:bwoohoo:

I also started hacking away at the 3rd gen f-body pedal assembly I ordered. I had to add more material to the piece that mounts to the firewall and cut off a lot of the switches and bracing to make sure the pedals sit in the right spot and have the proper travel.

The f-body brake pedal didn't really need any modification to the pin for the booster; it was pretty much plug and play.
The clutch pedal though needed to have the 4th gen pin welded onto it and the pin needed to be moved about an inch or so towards the driver. Didn't need to measure it because I just threw the pedals up and welded it where it needed to be. Pretty happy with this right now!

Tomorrow I'll end up cutting and extending the brake and clutch pedal about 3 inches so they line up better with the gas pedal. Then I'll be remounting the switches for both of them.

Once the pedals are all finished I'll be able to reinstall some of the bigger pieces on the car.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

This weekend's update:

Got the pedals finished well enough. Everything seems to be lined up pretty well in person and I was able to install all of the switches on the clutch and brake pedals. The dashboard is also in place again, but I have no pictures for that tonight.

clutch up:

and down:

painted:

and installed:

I also finally went and installed the sway bars. The front is a 34mm hollow bar from a 3rd gen F-body. Installed with poly bushings:

And here is the rear sway bar. This is a Hellwig "Pro-Touring" sway bar. it is adjustable with three positions to move the end links to. Supposedly this is an improvement from the stock sway bars that were mounted on the lower control arms causing snap oversteer.
My car did not have a rear sway bar from the factory at all so this will certainly be an improvement here.

And I was also able to place the front clip on the car finally.

there is so much room in here!

that's it for now. Next up is exhaust and wiring, but updates now will likely come slower for this week. This is the week of the Woodward Dream Cruise up here in Detroit. I might not make any progress this weekend or this week because of that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:36 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Does the paint on the front clip match the rest of the car being that it was outside for so long?

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:56 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

You know, the thought hadn't really occurred to me when I was installing it. I did give it a good pressure wash before I brought it in the garage so the rest of the car has a lot of dust in comparison to it. I didn't notice any difference, but I wasn't really looking for it. It's hard to believe that it's been so long since the front clip was back on the frame..
The paint really wasn't in all that great of condition before I brought it in the garage, but once the drivetrain work is complete and it moves under its own power I will be hitting the paint with all of the detailing stuff I've got!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:33 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 97 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged
Looking great, can't wait to see the end result. Seems like it's been a long road, and the end result is so close from where you started.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:20 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

So I've done a few things since my last update:

All of the original wiring in the dashboard is all wired up now. I also got a pretty good start on the floor boards now.
The original floor boards were in prety rough shape..

I ordered a set of replacement floor boards for the front and started to weld them in. I also put the shifter in place:

and all painted and sealed:

The Transmission tunnel is now about 1.5" taller near the rear of the transmission to make room for removing it if necessary down the road. I'd like to put a T-56 in here when I do break this transmission so hopefully there is enough room there.
The parking brake lever is mounted, but not connected yet. I'm going to focus on getting the car running and driving before I start playing with the cables for that.

Blue means fast right??

Those are 80lb injectors and coils from an L67 car.

Wiring harness mocked up:

PCM harness will not need any modification, except for lengthening the cables for the MAF. I'm planning on using an LT1 MAF if I can find one cheap.

And the latest for tonight, what will be the beginnings of my exhaust manifolds for the turbo! This will be rather annoying to join these together. I'm basically building my own Power Logs that will fit my car and the holset:

Hoping to have these finished within the next week or so. Then I'll be able to focus on the wiring and plumbing for everything.

I'm far enough in that I could make a list on a single piece of cardboard for everything that needs to be done:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:23 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

More Progress on the exhaust manifolds. Not quite where I'd like to be at this point, but progress nonetheless.

Holes finally drilled.

tacked up and mounted to the engine: (Turbo will be re-clocked later)

This should be interesting getting everything lined up to these properly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:29 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Finished tacking these up. Going to have my brother assist with TIG welding these now, and in the meantime I can work on the wiring and other miscellaneous things I missed.

Using a T4 flange on the manifolds for now. Figured it would give me more room for a bigger turbo down the line. Using an adapter to connect to the Holset for now.

I've got a small flex pipe I'll be throwing on one side, and then I'll also be adding a v-band flange on each manifold for easier installation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
somebody's been busy!!!! - BC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:57 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

1oldman wrote:
somebody's been busy!!!! - BC

Yup! I sure have! I've gotten tired of looking at it in the garage.

I've been down at my brother's house working on this thing nearly everyday of the week after work, and every day on the weekends that I'm not out of town or something. My goal is to have the car running and driving by October 6th, and I'm pleased to say that I am well on track of that goal!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
i dont know why but saying turbo-brougham is REALLY fun to say

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Haven't really updated in a while, but the wiring seems to be coming along quite well. I'm pretty much done with the wiring under the hood and most of the interior wiring. Just need to finish some wiring for some of the extra switches I'll be installing.

Also found out that I'll need to replace the starter since the stud on the solenoid is broken. I'll also need to pull the driver side engine mount back off to grind down an edge on it to clear the oil dipstick.

She's coming together, but I imagine my list of little things to finish will have me working on this right up until my deadline of early October.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:45 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

So it seems like it's been a while since my last update. I've been working on knocking out a lot of small things that aren't really photo-worthy.
I've made a lot of progress here, though it doesn't look like much. The only real things left to do now are to finish up the exhaust, put together the cold side of the turbo, and plumb up the oil lines for the turbo. Also, I'll need to sort out the power steering hoses.
There's probably a few things I've missed here and there, and I'm betting something goes wrong with the wiring somehow. I'll know for sure once I throw a battery in there.

Sound deadening in the interior:

carpet re-installed:

shifter linkage removed:

I picked up a cruise control module from a W-body car, but it looks like this one doesn't quite fit the Camaro throttle body properly. The cruise cable doesn't come out far enough for the throttle body linkage. I'll have to look at the one on my Regal, but I think the way to fix this would be to use the linkage from a W-body too.

New front shocks installed:

Intercooler is mounted:

turbo re-clocked:

Under the hood looks like more of a mess than it really is:

The wiring harness is completely finished. I pieced together a power distribution assembly from a first gen W-body (parts were free). So all of the wires are cut to fit this car now.

those cars had two of these fuse/relay boxes so I had a lot of parts to play with:

I'm pretty confident in what I put together, but a part of me is a bit nervous since I did put this together from a bunch of wires and fuse boxes. I suppose I'll see how it goes once I get some power in there.
All of the power that goes through the cabin is also fused underneath the hood now so if something does go wrong it'll just blow a fuse.

I also need to make sure that the fans fit with the turbo in there. It looks like it'll be close but I won't know for sure until the exhaust is finished. I'll be ordering parts to finish all of that sometime this week so hopefully everything goes as planned. I have a couple other fans I can try and fit there, but worst case scenario I can put the fans on the front and reverse the polarity I think.

I'm expecting a first fire up within the next couple of weeks! Possibly even at the time of the fall mini meet in Michigan.

:bwoohoo:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

So I threw my jumpbox in the car to pop the trunk (no battery yet) and the car didn't burn down! The interior lights all work and the trunk popped, but that's about the extent of my testing since I left the keys at my apartment.

I worked out what I'm going to do for the power steering pressure hose. I had been trying to make a bend close enough to the fitting to clear the exhaust manifold and wasn't very succesful over the weekend. I did some searching online to find something with a really close 90* bend to the fitting but didn't find anything.

Eventually I found a picture of the factory power steering pressure hose for this car and it looks like that thing actually clears the exhaust! It's almost like it was meant to be lol.

cut and spliced!

and finally I put together a mounting bracket for the Power steering reservoir and was also able to knock out a mount for the fuse box with the same mount. It didn't quite become what I envisioned in my mind, but I'm happy enough with it.

P/S reservoir had no mounting areas on it so I just ziptied it on for now. It is resting on an angle section of the bracket though so it won't be going anywhere.

Radiator upper mount with fan installed:

Was able to route the serpentine belt without an A/C compressor. Needed to use a ribbed idler pulley from an L67 car as the tensioner here for the way the belt is routed. I'm quite happy with the way this turned out.

Created a pass-through for the core support for the intercooler so I don't have to relocate the battery:

Beginnings of the plumbing for the oil lines for the turbo. AN lines are way too expensive

At this point all that's really left is the battery cables, a few miscellaneous wires, double checking of the pcm wiring, and plumbing for the turbo. Then I'll also have to sort out the tubing for the intercooler. Gonna be close on fundings to get this going for the fall mini-meet.

How it sits now:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:07 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI/2007 TBSS/2004 CTS-V
Looking good! Can't wait to see this thing running.

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:13 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

98SSE wrote:
Looking good! Can't wait to see this thing running.

Thanks, me too, me too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next