It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:00 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 95 LeSabre Custom
01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Update: I've decided to revive this thread. I now have access to a garage - topic44783.html - so I can finally start working on and fixing/restoring the LeSabre (and do any necessary work on the Bonneville). This will be the official build thread. Once I get started, I plan to post regular updates.

Before I begin, I think I'll post some pics of my cars. These pictures are a few years old, and show off what they were like at the high point of their lives:

The Bonneville: These first two pictures were taken at Ryan's place, during the Michigan Meet of 2009, after we gave it a good buff and shine. The last two were taken a couple weeks after (still retaining that awesome shine) in my hometown.

The LeSabre: These pictures were also taken in 2009, showing the car at its almost best (there's a hole in the driver's side fender, but isn't shown, and that lower air dam, which has always given me problems).

I really miss that car, as I had some great times with it. Oh, it's not wrecked or sold or anything, it just hasn't been running for a very long time. Neither car is the same anymore, and it's time I think I did something about it. This kind of brings me to my next point (this is going to get a little long), which I have posted below.

---------------------------------------------------

The Big One: Project H-Bodies

Well, I figured it's time to get started on this. First off, this is probably going to be a pretty long post, as I'm going to keep coming back to it with updates. I want to keep this as a log of my progress, as I have a feeling this will probably go on for a long time (due to money and time constraints). This is a two part project (1 for each car), and I have plans for a third later on (which I will link from here once I get to it). I will try and get pictures when I can, but some stuff won't have them (like if it is something I fixed a long while ago and have no pics of).

Basically, both of my H-bodies (LeSabre & Bonneville) are in some serious need of TLC. I keep both of them on a routine maintenance schedule, but it's getting to the point where both cars need some major work. My Bonneville, for the most part, is running well (which is good since less than a year after I bought it, it sat for 8 months due to a few blown gaskets). It does have some issues, which I will list here later in the post. My LeSabre is a different story - it has sat in my Aunt's driveway for over 12 months, hardly moved. I'd say in the last year I put maybe less than 180 miles on it. It has a huge list of major issues that I want to start getting too soon. Below is a break-down of the vehicles and current maintenance list.

Part One: The Bonneville

As I mentioned, the Bonneville is running pretty well. It gets me too and from work, and around town when needed. It has quite a bit of issues, but the only ones that concern me at the moment are the lack of cold air in my A/C system, above average misfires (around 12-16 times per cycle; I've even seen as high as 60+ on WOT), and KR (I've seen up to 8*, and that's not even at WOT). Once I get those figured out, I'll be able to ignore the other stuff for a while.

Aside from the major issues already listed, here's the list of stuff that also needs taken care of on the Bonneville (all that I can remember right now). Most of this stuff I plan to eventually get too, but is not priority:

Under the hood:
- Misfires (#2, #5, and #6 are the problem areas; need to double check my wires and plugs, and I hope that it's nothing internal) -- 99% fixed, but now have idle misfire on #3
- Knock (I don't even know where to start on this one, going to try and resolve the misfires first, in hopes that it either reduces or eliminates the knock) -- have seen up to 8*, and still have no clue why
- No cold air in A/C (compressor still works, most likely a leak somewhere)
- Change any fluids/filters under regular maintenance intervals

Suspension:
- Tie rods, end links, sway bar bushings, and alignment -- FIXED (tie rods and alignment)
- Engine mount (hockey pucks – I hope this also might hope to ease the knock) -- FIXED (solid mount)
- Struts (although I think I'm still good for a while)
- Machine front rotors (very minor warping, but enough that I notice) -- FIXED (replaced brakes)
- Replace corroded wire for front passenger wheel bearing (it’s keeping my ABS and Traction Control systems off)

Exterior:
- Buff and polish headlights (getting real bad) -- FIXED
- Replace wiper motor assembly
- Will someday need to fix the rust under the gas door
- Fix rust on side window frames and sills -- Sills have been taken care of
- Replace (what I believe to be) fuel vent sensor
- Replace fuel sender -- FIXED
- Fix taillight de-lamination (not sure how yet) - also need to clear the tails (not really repair issue, but a bonus since the tail will have to come off anyway) -- FIXED (sort of, just tinted the tails)
- Prevent the paint peel found in the water channels on the roof (my brother believes the roof may have been repainted, off the record, and it was done poorly)
- New paint job (a project for WAY down the road, as I plan to actually use the metallic black found on the G8's)

Interior:
- Fix door leaks (major priority this summer) -- IN PROGRESS - rears done, but fronts need redone
- Replace sunroof frame (another major priority this summer) and check for clogged drains -- FIXED
- Have headliner replaced (sunroof shade already done) -- FIXED
- Find out why driver door lock switch isn't working (it's not the actual switch, but possibly wiring) -- FIXED (it was actually a faulty window/mirror switch)
- Remove carpet and de-mold, and bleach the floor boards (might be another summer project) -- DONE (also cleaned up all rust)
- Replace fog light and instrument panel dimmer switch (lights went bad, might just replace the burnt out light) -- FIXED (replaced with GXP unit)
- Replace steering wheel radio control buttons (paint bubbling and peeling) -- FIXED (replaced with GXP wheel)
- Fix hole on the floor by the battery (my guess is an old battery leaked and ate away at the metal)
- Find and fix trunk leak (possibly coming from the taillights) -- IN PROGRESS
- Finish installation of AeroForce gauge (still need to get a Dremel) -- DONE
- Resolve cutting out problems of front driver door speaker (which I am mad about as I paid good money for those speakers, and it's already going bad) -- SOLVED - was a different issue altogether

Some of the problems I have fixed recently are: ignition control module and level control sensor and passenger window motor (thanks go to Andrew for those parts, saved me hundreds of dollars), oil pressure switch, supercharger nose coupler, fuel pump, rear shocks (AC Delco's, done about two years ago), both front wheel bearings (GM replacements, done over two years ago), an amp for my Basslink (the built-in amp fried, so I replaced it), and probably a few more things that I can't remember right now.

Update: I had the car looked at a few hours ago, and was told I had 4 bad spark plug wires (2, 3, 5, & 6). The ICM could have been the culprit, as those were the same wires that went bad before. I have new wires on, and the car runs great (still has some knock, will work on that later). Hopefully that was it, and nothing major (will find out over time).

Quite a list, huh? I haven't even gotten started yet. The LeSabre is in need of much more work. Yes, I could probably just get rid of the car and save me a ton of money and headaches, but this was the first car that I bought myself, with my own money, and for some reason, I just can't let it go. It's been with me on my travels up and down the Eastern US, and it has saved my life twice, so I want to return the favors.

Part Two: The LeSabre

As I mentioned, this car has sat for over a year because, frankly, it just isn't road worthy at the moment. The two biggest problems are the fuel lines and electrical. Right around the fuel filter, the lines have almost completely rotted away and anytime the car is running, fuel just spews out from the line. The other problem is something electrical, as I have something parasitic in my system - if the car sits for 3 days or more, the battery is completely dead (and this is the 3rd battery in 2 years).

The plan is to get my LeSabre running enough that I can use it when I need to, but my ultimate plan is to try and get a garage (can't use the one at home as that's where my brother keeps our late father's '69 Stingray, which is in need of a complete rebuild), tear the Buick down, and completely rebuild it from the body up. I know that is a major undertaking, but I've committed myself to doing it - I just need the garage and a backlog of enough cash (some help wouldn't be bad either), and I can get started. Anyway, here's the list (and this is probably only partial at the moment):

Under the Hood:
- Engine rebuild (it still runs great, but at 312K, and probably 85% original parts, it's time; it will be a factory rebuild, except I might add roller rockers for just a little more pep)
- Replace A/C compressor (the clutch is rusted and making a horrific noise, plus I don't think the compressor even works anymore as I haven't had A/C in the car in over 6 years)
- Transmission rebuild? At least a flush and filter replacement (last time I took it out, it would hesitate in the 1-2 shift, and then slam into gear, doesn't sound good to me, even though this transmission should have between 85-90K on it; probably from sitting too long)
- Replace cam sensor (this will obviously happen before the rebuild, just because that will take some time)
- Fix/replace battery mount (a previous leaky battery made a mess of the metal in that area)
- Redo terminals and wires that connect to the battery (same issue from a leaky battery as above)
- Fluids and filters, per maintenance schedule

Suspension:
- Front brakes need machined, BAD (it was parked for 3 weeks in the grass, what was I to expect?)
- CV joints, boots, tie rods, end links, bushings, struts, and springs - yeah, it needs it all (planning an FE2 sway bar and spring upgrade, with polyurethane bushings)
- ABS not functioning - either wheel bearings, wire corrosion, or the ABS system itself
- Alignment

Exterior:
- Hood, grill, driver fender, and windshield need replaced (have all but the windshield - I just need time to swap, and they will need painted)
- Replace rocker panels and fix any rust spots behind the bumpers, in the wheel wells, and under the body (I need to get the car up so I can examine the underside, as I'm kind of worried, based on some of what I've seen)
- Redo the exhaust setup and add a resonator (I've had my fun, and I want that deep growl back, the 'rice' sound is starting to get annoying)
- Replace all fuel lines from the tank to the engine
- Check condition of sub-frame to body mounts (engine mounts have already been replaced)
- Replace fuel tank
- Repair headlight and fog light wiring (corrosion)
- Upgrade current LED's to more powerful/brighter LED's
- Properly run amp and fog light wiring through the firewall instead of the doors
- PAINT!!! (this car is in need of a new coat, but it is much further down on the to-do list)

Interior:
- New weather-stripping on all four doors (leaks have started)
- Find and fix trunk leak
- Fix (actually it's putting one back in) high beam switch
- Reposition headliner (it's not fitting quite right)
- Find out why interior lights no longer work (not a fuse and not the switch, maybe a short - my mind is currently boggled on that one)
- Rewire and clean up add on (from aftermarket electrical devices and lighting) wiring under the dash
- Replace dead tweeter speakers (planning on getting Concert Sound II panels that have the mounts and grills for tweeters already in them)
- Find parasitic electrical device (might actually be caused from the corroded battery terminals)
- Make housings for the rear floor lights (not a major concern, but the way they are now, I'm afraid they might get caught in the rear doors)
- Do something about the steering wheel (most of the paint has worn off)

The LeSabre has had so much replaced or fixed on it that I really can't remember what anymore. The only thing that I remember that has recently been replaced is the water pump (around 2 years ago). Not much has been done recently, as the car runs that well, before the fuel leak that is. If I remember anything major, I'll add it here.

Well, this is my list for now. Again, sorry for the huge post, but I want to be as detailed as possible. Man, I've got a lot of work to do, and while I can do interior work and some electrical, I have almost no knowledge and experience of working on engines, transmissions, suspensions, or braking and fuel systems, so I'm going to have to take my time with some of these projects. And, this doesn't even include my third project (will link to that when I get to it). I'll add some new full body pictures and some pictures of the issues/things I’ve fixed here soon - right now I feel out of breath after ranting on about this.

By the way, any input, praise, criticism, or help is welcome. You guys are the reason I joined this forum!!

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2005 Bonneville GXP: 101K Miles | Custom FWI
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit
1984 Caprice Classic Wagon: 86K Miles | Restoration Project

Last edited by gweg_b on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 06 Grand Prix LS4
Wow! Sounds like you really have your work cut out for you! I look forward to seeing your progress! I really like the rims and wing on your Buick... it has a good look to it.

Previous, 07 GP SE, 06 GP GXP, 97 SSE 40th, 96 LeSabre Custom, 93 SLE, 90 LeSabre Custom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Start with the Buick!!

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Yeah, this is a big project for me, but I kind of can't wait until I can get started. The plan is to get the LeSabre at least running again, and then, the moment I can find a garage to work in, it's going in there for the overhaul.

I got a call last night to move my LeSabre off the street (it's on the other side of town at my Aunt's place) because the roads were being cleaned today. So, after a small battle with some yellowjacket wasps (they built a nest in one of the doors of my car), I got the car started, but soon discovered that I have a new fuel line leak, up front, right near the passenger fender. So, that line is going quick. As soon as my brother can get his Dodge Daytona running, I'll be able to get my LeSabre into the driveway for some work.

Picture time!!

Above: This was my old Infinity BassLink setup:

Well, last summer, the internal amp died. Since I liked the box so much, I just went with a Rockford Fosgate 300W mono amp, and kind of did some Frankenstein work, and got it all hooked up. Works really well for what I need:

Here's a pic of the swimming pool in my trunk. Not sure where the leak is yet:

Don't have any other pictures of things for the Bonneville, so the above will be all for now. Below is a different story - pictures of the current state of the LeSabre. Beware, some of these pictures may be too graphic for those with weak stomachs.

Paint issues on the roof (I dubbed these my "racing stripes"):

Bye-bye spoiler paint (this is what happens when you don't take care of your paint):

Cracked windshield and missing some hood paint:

The wholly fender (since 2006):

The hood (the day this happened turned out to be a really bad day for me, also, I still have the headlight, I just don't have it in right at the moment due to the metal of the hood rubs on the glass):

Passenger rocker:

Underneath the rocker:

The fuel lines:

Headlight and fog light connectors showing corrosion (due to a bent hood from my accident in 2005, water came in between the fender and hood gaps, causing a mess with my connectors):

So, that's where I'm at with a few of the things. I'll probably add some more pictures over the next few days, if I can get around to getting some. I hope to start work on at least one of the cars here soon, and I'll be sure to update with the progress.

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
It's finally done:

Got my solid mount in (after having the original mount for almost 139,000 miles). I'd say this was one of the worst mods I have undertaken. It's great for the car, but I was pulling my hair out to get parts. No store in 50 miles (sports stores as well) of me carried hockey pucks. I spent 2 weeks trying to find an 8" long bolt. Had to get one special ordered from the hardware store (which cost me a little more).

Anyway, engine feels much smoother while accelerating, has more power from the get-go, and does not slam into gear when changing between Park to R to D anymore. I was hoping this was going to cut down on my knock issues, but it seems to have had no effect (I actually think the KR went up). Haven't driven it much this week because it's been too hot, and I still haven't gotten my A/C fixed.

Hopefully more updates to come. I plan to start on the Buick in July, but that isn't 100% just yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
I'm interested in watching this huge project. Best!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Small Update:

96+ degree heat (100+ for these last 2 days), and having issues from the storms last week (this topic viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33520) has not allowed me to work on anything.

I had the hockey puck mount installed, and soon noticed my in-town MPG went through the hole. ~1700rpm at 25-30mph in town was showing around 3-8mpg instant on the DIC (which I know not to rely on, but I use its information to know at certain areas of town and highway if the numbers have changed, especially after a mod). I couldn't believe something like that could really affect my mileage (highway mileage seems the same). So, I became very angry at the mod, until last night, when I smelled gasoline. Well, it looks like I now have a fuel leak in the Bonneville - I just don't know where yet, as I have been unable to check, but the smell comes from the front, just around the driver front wheel.

And it looks like it will be awhile before I can check for the leak (need the jack and ramps), as the engine cradle in my mom's 1997 LeSabre dropped last night (it's a miracle she was even able to make it home). That project is now going to take priority, so my time and my brother's time (plus tools) are going to be occupied for a little while.

My brother and I are definitely being kept busy this summer!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Recognized Vendor
Recognized Vendor

Location: Lakeville, Minnesota =MWBF '05 SURVIVOR= =CEBF '06 SURVIVOR= =August '06 COTM=
Year and Trim: 96 Audi A6 Quattro
Good luck on these projects......it's definitely gonna be quite the undertaking as you can see with life happening all around you also!

My suggestion on your LeSabre, if the fuel lines are already rotted out, your steel brake lines are right behind it, so do yourself a favor, and just put those on your list and get them done too, before you need to hammer, but have no braking power because 2 of 4 lines just exploded.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie - Sold
1996 Audi A6 Quattro
I used to be cool......Then I traded my Bonne's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Thanks for reminding me about the brake lines. Didn't even think about it. I already had one line explode on me a couple years back (was kind of a scary, had to pretty much go through a busy intersection without being able to stop). As soon as I get this car up in the air for the fuel lines, I'll go over the brake lines.

And while I'm thinking about it, I probably should replace all the engine cradle bolts and bushing in my LeSabre once I start on it, so my engine and trans don't decide to kiss the concrete as well in the near future. :-k

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:50 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
I'm back again with another small update.

I feel kind of bad about this, but I had too because of my extreme lack of time and short arms. I took my car to a local shop to get the spark plugs checked (and possibly changed if needed). I would have done it myself, but I severely injured my right elbow last week, and I can barely bend it, and my arms are not long enough to easily reach that back bank of plugs (I had a heck of a time with the new wires - the Buick is so much easier). Well, it turns out 4 of the 6 plugs had gone bad. Interesting, considering I had 4 bad wires as well. My guess is that bad ICM I had did all kinds of nasty things to my ignition system (I did forget to ask which 4 plugs were bad, but my suspicions are they're the same ones as the wires). Also, it turns out my MAF had heavy carbon build-up as well.

The bonus is - my KR has almost disappeared!! When I got on the interstate this morning (well, almost noon), I was somewhere around 60-65% throttle, and the highest KR I saw was 1.1 - much, much lower than the 6+ that I would normally see at that throttle. So, I'm a lot happier now! I need to do some more testing, but I'm guessing most of the knock now may just be heat related (it was 95* when I was leaving town, and the coolant temp was close to 200).

Also, I'm leaking fuel from the top of my tank - bad seal and locking ring. So those now need replaced. The technician told me I have a P0440 code, but I let him know that has been there for awhile (I believe the sensor on top of the fuel pump assembly is bad). However, this should have no effect on my instant mileage.

Which brings me to this point - I don't want to start a new thread, so I'm asking here for help - would ANYTHING related to the solid mount make a huge impact on mileage, such as
- the bolt length (I have a 1/2"x8" grade 8)
- hockey pucks (standard solid rubber practice pucks)
- bushing (got a rubber one for an end link on a Ford, but I figured that shouldn't matter)
- or height (I used 3 1" pucks, and close to .75" of washers, but when I tightened the nut, it kind of felt like it might have compressed some, which would shorten the overall height)?

It's just that I'm a little concerned that it may have a bigger impact down the road. So any help, suggestions, or ideas you guys might have could really help me out. I'd hate to have to try and do this mount over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
There is ABSOLUTELY nothing that the solid mount can do to affect your city mileage, at all. It's just the timing of this issue creeping up and you doing the solid mount at the same time made it feel like it's the same.

How much have you driven since the plugs and wires got fixed? Those being fouled and causing poor combustion will kill mileage...

Or could you be getting into it more now that the car actually can put down the power? :wink:

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Last edited by 00Beast on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Okay, thanks, I didn't figure the mount would affect anything, but I'm the type that's half paranoid, as in the past whenever I've done something to my cars (or my computers), something else has always seemed to have gone wrong. So I'm always worried after I make changes and things don't function the way I expect them to afterwards. You're probably right, it could some other issue showing it's head now (as I said, highway mileage seems unaffected, but in town is just terrible).

The wires were changed about a month ago, and the plugs were changed yesterday. I'll give it a few days and see if anything changes. I got home so late last night from work, that I did not get a chance to play around with the car. However, this morning, while getting on the interstate to head to work, I gave it gas to get on ahead of a pack of semi's, and I saw the KR blip up to 3.7*, and it's cooler today than yesterday (so far).

Since I was told I had a lot of carbon build-up on my MAF, I'm thinking my next route should be running a can of Seafoam through my engine. That might help to clean some things up, and maybe bring that KR down some more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Running seafoam through the engine won't clean the TB. Sounds like it's time to pop that off and clean it all well. Clean the MAF with MAF specific cleaner, and clean the TB with TB cleaner, and be sure to pay attention to the IAC area, as carbon can build up there.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Yeah, I should clean the TB as well. I think the last time I cleaned it was probably about 3 years ago. I suggested the Seafoam as the engine has about 140,000 miles on it, so it shouldn't hurt to run it through.

If I had the means and time, I'd love to be able to give the supercharger a good cleaning, as it probably has a nice build-up of carbon, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Good progress so far!

I have had my solid front mount in my '03 SSEi for five years now with no effects whatsoever on mileage, just a nice solid mount that doesn't flex and doesn't go bad :)

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Don't do anything to the sensor in regards to p0440. If you have a leak in your tank, it will not hold pressure, and that's what's tripping the 0440. Take the access door off and see if you can see any fuel puddling by the connectors (or if there is any "clean" spots). The o-rings for the connectors may have dried out, and replacing them isn't easy. I had the same thing happen on mine, and I just ended up buying new high pressure rubber fuel line and injection clamps. Routing the lines was a pain (had to drop the tank to get some clearance) but no leaks.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
I've had that P0440 for a couple of years now. The leaking I'm currently having started after changing the fuel pump. But you might be right, it's possible the o-rings have gone bad. After I get the seal and locking ring (which is badly bent - it was fused to the tank, and had to get it out with a chisel and hammer), I'll see if that code stays away. If not, I'll have some more work to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
It starting driving me nuts, so this past Sunday, I got the drill out and started work on my headlights.

This is what I started with:

And after spending about an hour, this is the result:

Both done:

I think they came out pretty well for my first time, but I'm not as happy as I could be, as I still have some swirls left and light fogging on the bottom edges, but the drill I was using was so heavy and brutal, that I had to do what I could and give it a rest. Still can't feel the tip of my right index finger, but the headlights are 1000% better than before, and that'll help me as I'll have to start driving home from work after dark here in the next month or so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:23 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Well, I officially no longer able to drive any car that I happen to own.

The Bonneville no longer starts, as something is draining it, and I think I know what.

Once I get a chance later today, I'll get a few more pictures posted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Forgot my SD card from my camera again today, so no new pics, but I changed the title of the topic to better relate to what I'm doing, and I made an edit to the first post listing of what I've finished or fixed, and what I'm currently working on. It you look, you'll get an idea of what I am tackling with right at the moment (currently on just the Bonneville), and I'm not enjoying it one bit.

Hopefully pictures later this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next