All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:00 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Transferred the mockup to the car to double check the fitment as well as verify the downpipe I have in mind will work.

There are a few tight spots, nothing some header wrap and reflective heat tape won't solve, but with the downpipe figured out I can finally work on the crossover:

Since some of those mid-weld photos don't really give a sense of spacial awareness, I figured this might: I'm not going to tell you where this gauge started out at for this project, but can I finish the entire rest of the exhaust system with this much gas?

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:15 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Well, this weekend was a hot one - it's only fitting I guess that I'd end up doing a bunch of welding.

As long as the spark plug wrench fits that's all that matters, right?

I don't regret the TIG welder I have, for the first 2 minutes of welding. I'm at the point where I need a water-cooled torch at the very least, I could be happy with 250 amps as well. The biggest problem I'm fighting is the torch getting too hot too fast, so it's like fighting your fine motor skills knowing you're about to burn your finger to pull off a decent looking weld for just a few seconds.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Major updates are coming soon.

Between the Meet last weekend, and my kid slamming my foot in the kitchen door last week, I haven't been getting as much done as I would have liked. At the moment I'm working out the last of the fabrication, routing the wiring harness and final re-assembly.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The wire harness was a lot more involved than I had anticipated, I would say this was more involved than the K2500 stuff I did.

The Cavi PCM is mounted on the passenger side right behind the headlamp inside the fender. So half of the wires are automatically 1 mile longer by default. At the moment the harness is complete between the engine and PCM, just have to interface the Cavi engine harness to this one. I ended up grabbing some 16-pin wiring pigtails and another 10-pin from a random 2010+ car at the u-pull, at the moment I have 36 wires for that connection, I might try to reduce that to 32 by consolidating grounds and +12v supply wires. I had to add two relays to the relay center for the radiator fans, luckily there were two relay spots vacant. I ended up having to relocate the battery to the trunk as well. I was trying to avoid that, but the space limitations in the engine bay are calling the shots now.

What's left:
-body harness to engine harness interface
-exhaust from the downpipe back
-random plumbing and hardware
-fluid fill
-put the interior back together because I had to put a different shift cable in and that...snowballed...

Unknowns:
The Cavi has what appear to be an early LAN class 2 data communication circuit (I would call it primitive, but I've actually worked with the 1986 Riviera computer and the 180 baud magic). The various modules are connected in a daisy-chain configuration with the BCM apparently the master. Every module connected has two class 2 data lines connected to it, including the PCM. From what I can find, every single module both of the wires are internally directly connected on the Cavi stuff. The Cavi harness does not have the UART wires (though depending what section of the service manual you reference, they are in the wiring diagrams). There's a ton of data and requests that are communicated via the class 2 buss, A/C request and gauge cluster functions to name a few. My initial research into this project said people used the Regal PCM OS (or I think the Monte Carlo SS one) and "just hooked up the wires and it worked". Of course, I can't find the original forum/built thread for that info. Anyhow, the Regal stuff has a single class 2 data line going to each module, they all connect to a single splice. The working theory is that the daisy chain approach to wiring doesn't actually matter beyond providing multiple paths to the master module to mitigate potential failure, and actually potentially reducing the total length of wiring used. What's also fun is that depending on the CSM you reference for the 3800 (or in the case of my '98 H-body CSM where one page says one thing and another page says the exact opposite), either of the two effected pins on the PCM are used for class 2 data. So, hopefully the HVAC, gauge cluster, ABS, sensing module, and BCM all play nice with the 3800 PCM when connected in the daisy chain config. :dontknow:

More details:

Since I'm told it was brand new, we'll see how well the fuel pump keeps up. Not planning to change the fuel pump at this time, going to monitor fuel pressure and see if it's needed. From what I can find, this pump has an identical flow rate to the NA 3800 pump, which seems to keep up with some of my previous builds, but who knows how accurate some of that published info really is.

Will the A/C work? I had to modify the compressor manifold from the donor Riviera to splice the cavi lines to it. I used an AN union + nylog on the intake side and a weld-on fitting for the discharge side, only had to crimp one hose. I've done similar with the Montana, and that works fine. The compressor and the class 2 data buss functions are the only concerns, I have a work-around for the A/C request to the PCM, the A/C from the donor worked so the compressor should be good. But with the level that this project is I'm still on the fence whether to send it as is or send the manifold I made in to a shop that can make custom A/C hoses and have them make one with some minor tweaks so there are no welds/splices and some tighter clearances to the compressor, and just put a new compressor in.

ICM is relocated to about the same location as an LG3 (above the rear valve cover) since there's not enough clearance to leave it on the OE bracket. I managed to move it without changing the wire lengths on the ICM harness.

EGR is retained. In order to fit the EGR valve, I had to swap the brake master cylinder to the N-body master. N-body and J-body for 2000 use the same brake booster, so this should be drop-in. The reason is the brake lines on the N-body come out the opposite side, so in addition to clearance, we won't have to worry about heating up the brake fluid in the lines. The EGR heat shield had to be modified slightly, squishing it down tighter to the EGR valve, to clearance the master cylinder as well. I ended up moving the ABS module over as well to keep all the lines accessible.

EVAP is retained, I only had to mount a purge valve in the engine bay and make the hose and wire connections.

MAP sensor was relocated to the front cylinder head, similar to what I did with the Montana, in this case it was because the ICM now resides where it usually lives.

Cruise control is wired up, though I don't know if it was working before. I don't know how picky the cruise control module is, the 3800's I've all had after a swap never work again, so I'll give it a 15% chance at best.

Upper radiator hose: E71947, my recollection is that it's a 2000 Malibu V6 hose, was a direct fit.

Lower radiator hose: Ok, not very happy with this, so more to come. I had to make a custom manifold because clearance to the A/C compressor and manifold prevents an OE L67 lower radiator hose from working, and the overflow tank needs a tee off that line as well. I ended up building a manifold from 1.25" copper pipe and fittings, using half of the L67 hose and half of a C71765 hose (IDK what it's from, a go-cart?). Pictures are coming soon, but I would love to see how any other swap did this without an A/C delete. This is the other half of the reason I'm considering a different approach to the A/C manifold, just to get some more clearance in that area.

Heater hose fittings: Referencing the fittings on the tensioner that the heater hoses connect to. The W-body fittings point straight out, both hoses might kink over time and the one would be rubbing the A/C dryer. The 90 degree fitting from the H-body and E-body cars will fit on the upper heater hose and have clearance to the A/C dryer. I couldn't find anything from the factory for the lower that would clear the dryer, so I made one on the lathe with a pre-bent section of aluminum tubing:

Heater hoses: Two e87606 Dayco hoses. I had to trim them shorter on both ends to fit. Simple, clearance to the exhaust down by the bulkhead.

Throttle cable: Almost yes. Similar to the Montana and Camaro, I had to cut off the throttle body end stop from the cable and swap on the L67 plastics for the mount. The OE cavi cable is long enough and can be shortened slightly, plenty of room to make the L67 plastics fit and weld on the barrel fitting. That part is not done yet as I need to measure the throttle lever to make sure it has sufficient travel for the L67 throttle body. If the lever arm is too long, pedal effort will be high and the pedal won't reach the floor. If it's too short, effort will be too low and it won't open all the way. I think it's too long right now because it's matched to the 2.4l throttle body, but haven't verified.

Cruise control cable: 99 W-body cable will work though its tight. Not sure what other options there are that will work since most of them are a lot shorter than the W-body cable I found.

Shift cable: N-body AC Delco 22678830 will work, as will the console shift '92-'99 H-body cable (which is out of production and not obtainable aside from used parts at the moment). With the N-body cable you need the N-body trans bracket, weld it on to the 4t65 bracket about 1/4" further away from the shift lever. The N-body cable is an exact fit to the J-body shifter and firewall pass-through. The H-body grommet needs to be modified to fit the firewall, though appears to fit the J-body shifter and the 4t65 bracket. I opted for the N-body cable since I was able to get one new.

Battery: I Grabbed a Mega 250 amp fuse and holder, some 0 gauge THHN wire and junction blocks. The stranded THHN wire is going to be mostly rigidly mounted between a set of junction blocks in the trunk and under the hood. OE battery cables shortened to fit between the battery and junction blocks, and modified H-body 3800 cables between the block/starter and under-hood junction blocks. From the research I did, looks like the typical 3800 starter motor pulls 1300-1700 Watts, so I sized the long cables based off that.

Front Brakes: Cadillac JL9 (STS/CTS/SRX), 12" rotor, dual piston aluminum calipers, N-body knuckles and outer C/V hubs, N-body LCA ball joints. J-body WSS connectors fit the N-body bearing hub connectors. The brakes bolt up to the N-body hub without modifications. The hardest part is removing the old J-body ball joints; the N-body ones bolt right up to the J-body LCA. Using the N-body hub did not change the length of the axles I mentioned earlier, though the Cavalier Rpezza won't fit so I ended up using the N-body Rpezza on them.

Massages: The pinch weld flange on the frame structure needed to be clearanced around the power steering reservior and the belt for peace of mind.

So far, no deletes.

Other:
Looks like I've been tasked with an exhaust cut-out and some LED accent lights. I'll have to figure out the wiring for that before I put the interior back together.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The current project battle: how to join aluminum tubing for A/C lines. Should be simple. Is not. One specific joint the weld ended up contaminated and is porous. I cut out the entire joint, about an inch, and re-welded it only to have the weld remain porous. Alumi-weld did nothing useful here. There are a total of three welded joints on this project, only one has an issue. So far, the weld (and AN flare fittings) on the Montana are holding up without leaking. So I'm not sure what's going on with this one spot.

The current plan, since I have a working solution to crimp hose fittings, is to use new manifolds and cut the rubber hoses to fit the appropriate hose splice from coldhose.com, to make a manifold assembly that is 3800 on the compressor side Cavi on the other side. This is not ideal from a hose routing perspective, and I'll have to push the radiator/condenser assembly even further forward to fit everything.

Engine harness is complete finally. I'm disappointed with how poorly a single picture conveys the amount of time that goes into this, it was like 500 wires after all:

Too much time was spent in junkyards finding pigtails that had all the right wire colors, but I managed to make the connections to the body harness fit in two 16-way connectors, and properly document the wiring schematic.

The next week or so will be focused on all of the minor plumbing and stuff, maybe exhaust, I would like to be able to attempt a first start over the weekend. Exhaust looks to be the last big hurdle!

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Why is it that the last 5% of the project ends up taking 90% of the effort?

First up: cooling fans. This project necessitated low profile fans. Most (all) aftermarket stuff comes with those fancy things you're supposed to poke through the fins to mount your fans. Those are hot garbage - you know, because those fins are structural components of a radiator? So I ended up making something better from aluminum bar stock (hopefully) that plus a little paint will prevent the majority of possible galvanic corrosion, and securely mount to the radiator at least as well as the Original Equipment did.

Commence the exhaust shenanigans!

Upgraded to a Pyrex gas lens for the TIG

Making muffler:

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Got the A/C lines done. As expected, tight fits everywhere. The radiator is as far forward and to the left as it can go without modifying the body or hood latch and crash sensor mounts. This gives a little extra room for the wire harness to pass between the side of the radiator and the frame, as well as simplifies the lower rad hose. I did have to modify the lower mounts of the front support to clear the radiator in the new position.

New A/C manifold; this one is from the '97 Riviera though the same year LeSabre could have worked as well. The hard line side that fits the body are removed and new 90 degree fittings from cold hose crimped on:

Things have to go where there's space. Starting with the suction side, the larger hose goes down and forward then loops back up - this was the path of least tension and still give adequate clearances:

Hard to see since everything is in the way, the left side of this picture is the front of the car. The 90 degree fitting is connected to a straight fitting from cold hose which is crimped to the Cavi body side hose, which goes straight up through the gap where the ICM would have been:

The lighting is off in this picture, so it's hard to see, but the straight fitting is mounted via bracket to the body of the car. The rubber line from the accumulator to the mounted fitting doesn't really move, all of the movement is in the manifold side of the rubber line. Because of how close fitting everything is, that mount point was needed to prevent the hose from rubbing on anything (it has to be clear of the tensioner bracket so the motor can move, so it's right up against the body metal).

Because the radiator and condenser stack are moved, the small line that runs between the condenser and evap core needs to move with it. Body was clearanced as needed, and even though this hose shouldn't move I've added some rubber to the new flange to prevent both sliced tubing as well as sliced fingers. You can see the bracket a little better in this photo too:

The discharge side was a bit easier, since it's a lot smaller. Here you can see the Dorman 800579 tee for the lower hose (stock lower L67 hose cut to fit, and another Dayco e87606 hose with a 5/8 to 3/4 adapter to connect the overflow tank hose. Similar to the suction side, the cold hose adapter connection is mounted to the bracket for the radiator fans, the only part of the line that flexes in on the manifold side of the fittings. This was neccessary for clearance to the headers.

With that done (and the weather a little cooler the next day) I got the welding table out of it's hiding spot:

And now we're on to the rest of the little details to finish off the install. First, new bead roller for tubing, to make the trans cooler lines:

New throttle cable end welded on:

Almost done I think. Have to install the exhaust tips, run some wires for the cutout, put the center console and steering column back together, and fluid fill.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:13 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
https://youtu.be/tqSf0LecJK8

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:13 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Nice.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
That's awesome!

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:31 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
:thumbup:

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:31 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Finished up a bunch of little details today, then proceeded to test drive it around the yard (bumps and hills at full steering lock) just to make sure things are working as expected before test driving on the road.

It moved, out of my garage, under it's own power:

Hoping to deliver this in time for the Woodward dream cruise this weekend. A few minor issues left, comes down to a single sensor arriving on time!

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type