It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2003 BMW M5
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:31 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Well that's pretty cool! And, yeah, a legit hammer in the hands of one his age has all the potential of going bad in the blink of an eye. Like "I wonder if dad's car door sounds like that?". There's also the crowd-pleasing hammer toss...
:lol:

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Haha. Definitely a W all scenarios considered.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:47 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Here are a few pics from a short road trip last weekend. I went a couple hours north to Hazelton PA to pull a door and fender for my in-laws 528i, stayed at a house on a pond in Whitehaven with some friends and did a Hike in Jim Thorpe PA.

The car is properly filthy from rain, gravel roads and pine trees but it was worth it.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:52 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Looks like a beautiful trip. Seeing the car dirty from road trip duty is usually a good feeling! lol Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Gotta love some mountain views.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:14 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I agree with the dirty car. I had some level of satisfaction seeing my car covered in dust in the Redwood National Park.. and also driving through a small creek successfully.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I was able to get in about 2k more miles since August, most of which were short family trips. Here's a shot from a trip to a Colebrookdale Railroad mini-excursion. There are a few of these railroad revived lines in SE PA and the plan is to do more.

At some point I pushed a floor jack or jack stand hard enough past the FL jack pad that it hit bare metal. It bothered me enough to take it down, POR15, underbody and paint.

Now the car is on truck jack stands in my tetris game of 1 car garage starting to get torn apart for rod bearings, timing chain and a whole bunch of while I'm in theres.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:53 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

95naSTA wrote:
Now the car is on truck jack stands in my tetris game of 1 car garage starting to get torn apart for rod bearings, timing chain and a whole bunch of while I'm in there.

:happy1: :bcoffee: <--- Me, waiting for updates. :)

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Lol. Slow and steady over here. I got the engine hung, subframe pulled and lower oil pan yanked.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Back in the summer of ’23 I bought a borescope to take a look at the timing chain U-guide since other forum posts about doing so had me wondering. When I looked, the plastic on the guide had definitely shifted in the forward direction but the chain was still riding on it. Now I had planned on doing the rod bearings somewhere in the 13xk range just so I don’t have to worry about it but had no plans on doing the timing anytime soon. With 127k at the time of seeing the shifted guide, I decided to move my rod bearing timeline up and do the timing. I wasn’t going to do the timing without taking a look at the rod bearings first. So I did the bearings first, timing second, decided to also do an under plenum refresh third and added the front wheel wells and Radiator for some while you’re in theres.
I put hours of planning and prep into this. I started with another M5board’s parts list then added extras for the bearings, under plenum refresh etc. I did as much eyeballing of the Real OEM drawings as I could and printed those drawings out to help organize. I picked up some cheap plastic bins and separated parts according to their associated diagram. I did this as I was inventorying everything. I think it ended up being somewhere north of 300 individual parts. It made it way easier to find everything.
A reminder of the space I had to work with..
My plan was to do the rod bearings over a shorter thanksgiving PTO stretch and then the timing and under plenum items over a longer late December PTO stretch. I knocked out the rod bearings according to plan and buttoned up the timing by the end of Dec but ended up doing the under plenum refresh and wheel wells in January. Cleaning everything definitely took the most time.. Every bolt, part and surface and thoroughly cleaned. Most things cast aluminum I removed was cleaned with Eagle 1 Mag wheel etching cleaner, then coated with ACF-50.
Rod Bearings:
For the rod bearing install I used the ECS WPC install guide and it worked well. I did like keeping the steering box attached to the car vs dropping it with the rack and having to drain/refill that system. When hanging the engine, the hanger I have wasn’t going to reach both lift points so used the FL one with a thick rachet strap around the RH engine mount bracket to lift from the front.
Here’s what the old bearings looked like at 129k. I took an oil sample and I’m planning on doing a blackstone analysis done so it can be (roughly) correlated to bearing wear.
All bearings were checked with plastigauge and were all between 0.038-0.051mm.
I kept the upper pan off to avoid getting any junk in there with the timing job and get a cleaner seal with Dreibond where the lower timing cover meets the block. I completely disassembled the pan and replaced the o-rings on the rear sump pickup tubes. (Real OEM shows them in the wrong location)
I did clean them up nice though:

Timing:
The timing had me a little nervous. I have timed static cam timing on a DOHC V6 (i30) a couple times. One of those times involved choosing and setting my own cam timing via drilling for new dowel pin locations. With this job though, the price of screwing up was monetarily a whole order of magnitude higher than anything I have messed with previously. I used @jamiepeers DIY along with TIS (BMW service software), whatever was on youtube and whatever I could find otherwise. In retrospect, setting the timing on the S62 isn’t as bad as I thought but I needed to reread everything available several times to feel comfortable.
For new to me special tools I picked up a TDC pin from ECS and some 8/100mm 303 stainless shafts for cam securing pins ($39), which fit very snug and worked perfectly.
Some choices made with the timing job parts:
– Inspected and left the secondary chain/tensioners since they see half the revs and are not known to fail.
- Went the M60 (BMW 540) LH chain guide route. At the time I could still get the S62 part but would likely have to drill my own oil holes in the plastic. I figured if I was going to have to do that, I might as well save $200 and go the M60 route. Cliffs are, buy the M60 guide (11311747411), drill three oil holes in the plastic to mimic the S62, put plastic on old S62 aluminum guide frame with new o-ring (11421741129) in between the plastic and the aluminum guide. Then either carefully transfer over the little o-ring that goes on the tip of the plastic oil supply shaft or buy new (11421713597). More detailed info here.
- A list of things that were replaced/serviced while I was in there: VANOS hub plate and supporting rings, all oil separator hoses (separators were replaced 30k ago), PCV hoses/grommets, water pump and pulley, radiator, all forward coolant hoses, temp sensor above thermostat, Secondary Air valve and vac lines to/from solenoid, VANOS filter (S54/M3 kit), VANOS oil lines, VANOS diaphragm springs with newer style c-clips, oil pump chain tensioner and painted the oil drain tube. VANOS boards were pulled to relieve pressure in the system when rotating the cams. New o-rings and gaskets were used even though they had 20k on them.
- VANOS hub gear bolts were upgraded to the new 10.9 version.
- Cam bolts were upgraded to 12.9 bolts.

My U-guide did not actually break any clips yet but it had a lot of play.
When I was going through the TIS timing procedure and when rotating the crank in the opposite direction, with the cams locked, I actually spun the cam hubs to where the bolt holes were misaligned with the cam locking pins. I know this doesn’t really matter from a function standpoint but it might make it hard to tighten half the hub holts then the other half. So I made sure the top bolts all aligned with the cam locking pins.
Cleaning up the timing covers
Upper pan install
The oil pump screen was clean, with the exception of some silicone

Here’s a clip I took of getting the sweet tooth setup.
More or less the better this is, the easier it is for the VANOS units to adjust.
https://youtu.be/_jzCsb0q3Rc?si=f4hY_4qMUiq1FTwS

Lining up the splined shaft while installing the VANOS unit
VANOS and splined shafts fully seated
Updated VANOS washers and C-clips
Cleaning up the VANOS
Checking the timing for the first time
Vanos filter replacement
Lower pan install
SAS vac and inlet lines
I was on my last day of PTO (Jan 2nd) and the engine was mostly buttoned up minus everything above the ITBs. I could have started it without the plenum but slapped it all together to avoid a CEL. With the fuel pump fuse removed, I cranked the engine in cycles until the oil light went out. With the FP fuse in it started right up and surprisingly wasn’t much louder than usual. I found one leak at the banjo fitting that goes to the upper pan but fixed it just by tightening. I got it up to temp and chalked it up as a W.
Under Plenum:
Progress was way slower here but at least the pressure was off. Now as far as I know, nothing has ever been replaced under the plenum. I decided to replace: the gasket flanges, TPSes, fuel tank breather valve, brake booster T line, an infamous #17 elbow (with brass) on the Real OEM drawing, hoses #5,7,11,16 and FPR elbow with hose to LH strut tower. The FPR vac line between the ITB and below was actually ripped. The booster hose probably took the longest since it was basically hard plastic at the TB ports. All the hoses were a bit annoying though.
I did trim down the brass elbow since it was pushing the #16 hose into the throttle actuator otherwise.
One of the 3 rubber lines on the lower plenum that run to the pipe which connects all three sections was seeping oil bad. The p/n on the hoses goes nowhere, as confirmed by at least one post on m5board, but I just replaced it with 8mm ID Conti fuel injection hose.
Wheel wells:
When I was dropping the subframe the finder liners reminded me they’re past due for replacement. I ordered those along with the one time use plastic rivets that go into the fender. With the crumpling liners removed, I cleaned the sheet metal as best as I could with a brush and spray bottle since my garage has no running water. With everything installed I hit the wheel wells with some Maxima SC1 high gloss coating left over from my suspension install. The passenger side hard to get pics of since it was about 2’ from the wall..
I also added thrust bearings to the PSS9s. Someone suggested this and after a year of use I can see why. I could not find sealed bearings that would fit with my super tight wheel setup so I’ll just consider them a maintenance item. I found Porsche guys have the same issue with PSS9s and use SKF AXK 6085s with success so I went with those.
I had to replace the top mounts on the rear coilovers so I cleaned up the wheel wells in the process.
I finally went for a 30 min stop and go drive on Jan 26th and it went well with the exception of a coolant leak from the Aux fan temp switch sensor. I realized I didn’t buy a replacement to go in the new lower rad hose and rolled the dice on the o-ring.. So that’s in the mail. But! So far so good!

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

Last edited by 95naSTA on Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:40 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

:hail:

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Wow that was a whole lotta work. I bet you must feel proud after taking care of all of that! That engine looks like quite the machine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's definitely a solid notch on my belt. I never studied for how to do something automotive before like I did for this. The timing in particular.. Its not that bad now that it's in the rearview but the BMW procedures are dense and not linear. Missing one step could really wreak havoc.

I'm also pretty proud to have done something this big with 2 kids and not miss any after school or weekend time with them. I lost a few PTO days from them being sick but I made up for it during nap times and a few 8p-1a shifts on the weekends.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

For the leaking aux fan switch sensor I decided to use the vacuum trick people use for oil drain plug replacements. It worked and saved me a decent amount of time and effort. I did suck up a little coolant but it wasn't an issue with a wet vac.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-q7nSos_r-4? ... hE3UZ47av4

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:22 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Well, I have some good new and some bad news. Bad news is a few of the cam hub bolts started to back out. Good news is I heard it, caught it before timing shifted and fixed it already. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I didn't torque these bolts to spec initially since a traditional torque wrench doesn't fit in the space and presumably nobody has had an issue with it to-date. So I don't make the same mistake twice, I bought the proper style torque wrench and BMW extended crows foot bit for it.

I've got about 20 miles on it since. So far so good.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:30 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I've got about 1100 miles in since I did the rod bearing and (initial) timing replacement. So far, so good. I hit 550 miles last weekend, with a mix of city and non-cruise control highway, did and oil change, then packed up the wife and kids to go to see the eclipse in Skaneateles, NY. We lost sight of the eclipse right before totality but the sky went dark like a plague rolled over, which was pretty cool. I made it a point to at least do one other thing since I've never been up to finger lakes before. So, we stopped at Carpenter Falls. I'm at the bottom holding my son in the waterfall pic.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Nice stuff! That engine looks like a grand cluster until you put that acre of bland intake cover on it. Lol

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Awesome. Glad to see you got to check out the eclipse. I went to southern IL for it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

J Wikoff wrote:
Nice stuff! That engine looks like a grand cluster until you put that acre of bland intake cover on it. Lol

Thanks and couldn't agree more on the cover. It hides the ITB, DBW, engine oil cooler party underneath. It's like anything else though, where it gets less and less complicated the more you work on it.

nos4blood70 wrote:
Awesome. Glad to see you got to check out the eclipse. I went to southern IL for it.

Awesome! From the looks of it, you could have seen totality from the same area in 2017 too. I would have had to drive way farther back then.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

That waterfall is huge!

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Took the kids to their (and actually my) first cars and coffee. It was at a BMW dealership out in the burbs. I saw a couple other E39 M5s there and a couple E31s but didn't get many pics due to the kids having me out numbered.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next