All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
So, after all that work, and some bad expectations because of having owned a Saab....

It actually works now!!!

I love WOT northstar noises.

The number of codes has reduced to 5, two of them are covered under warranty still. One for the trans fluid and one for the WSS, and one that's going to need further investigation, as it hasn't set the associated code to tell me what it is yet.

P0420
P0430

C0040
P0897

P1101

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Had some fun with the STS over the holiday break...

So thanksgiving we drove out to see family, 700 miles round trip. On the way out I noticed some whine from the front differential. It seemed to come and go, but was getting progressively louder. After driving down the freeway, then slowing down to lower side road speeds it was to the point where it was drowning out everything else. Let it cool off overnight, noise gone. However, the car got an abysmal 17mpg for that trip...

Seemed to not be an issue during the usual trips to the grocery store, but a few weeks later went on an hour drive and it came back with a vengeance. The noise was borderline grinding so I decided that, with everything that's going to be going on in the next two months I couldn't afford downtime on the car. Got lucky on Monday before Christmas - the weather was 55 degrees and sunny (as opposed to just below freezing), so grabbed the lowest mileage replacement I could find locally and set to work.

First up, this thing is dug in like a tick. Had to drop the engine and subframe (left the trans cross-member attached) down a good 5" just to clear the frame:

Then separated the front subframe from the motor, and dropped it down on the passenger side just to get enough room to separate and pull the differential. The drivers side shaft comes off with it and can't be separated in vehicle:

Took the opportunity to access the upstream O2 sensors. With the engine dropped this far down there is barely enough room to get a wrench on it. They point directly into the firewall so you can't get a socket on them, and there's just not enough room to even get a wrench in there. The only good thing was that they were removed when I took the car in to get the recall done on the catalytic converters - so they weren't stuck on and came off without a fight. I wish the dealer would have said something "Hey, you know, you could save us some time and effort by supplying us new sensors." Which, you know, I would have done because it would have been convenient for everyone involved (saved them time on a 15 year old car by not having to fight with seized exhaust components) and they had over 200k on them and you know, about to fail... It's not like I didn't just dump a bunch of money replacing the fancy shocks on it...

I also found that the plastic coolant tee fitting that goes to the throttle body and radiator and overflow had a huge crack in it and was the source of a mystery coolant leak. But the radiator is going to need to be replaced soon, the bottom row of fins is all blasted out (not leaking yet), not sure how that happened - but then again, I've had to replace the front passenger wheel like 3 times now because somebody hit's every pothole in the road...Just realized I didn't post pictures of those.

Then, while everything was already half apart I decided it was time to replace the mis-matched DS1 bulbs with Osram bulbs, and upgrade the high beam so it's color temperature matched with the HIDs:

Also put yellow LED bulbs in the fog lamps, and got all the front lamps working properly again. Though, I will say, I'm not very impressed with the high beam LEDs. They worked great in the Camaro (which has high and low on the HIDs anyway) and worked way better than stock in the LeSabre. They appear to be brighter than the (what passes as) HIR bulbs that were in there, but don't project as far as I would like. And of course, compared to the Camaro and the power of the sun that is in it's lights, I don't like it at all. And get this: The far more expensive Osram DS1 bulbs I have also have the same color mis-match issue. :banghead: I'm guessing it's an issue with one of the ballasts. I'll have to mess with it later after the weather warms up, I want to find something that's going to work better in the high beam spot.

Finally, the service engine light is off and staying off! The remote start is working again, and looks like fuel consumption is back to normal.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 SSE
Hey Matt: I apologize for being slow but I assume you got the replacement differential installed in the car along with the side job improvements? How does it run now? Ren