It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's official.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:11 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Well that amount of codes would probably brick the scanner they use at my work.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
MattStrike wrote:
Vin last 8 is50233334

Also scanned the car today!
C0040
P1793
P0897
P0446
P0335
P0507
P1101
P0068
P0101
P0420
P0430
P0300
P0171
P0174

Um......... yeah. Lane?

Now you see why it was $2,600. :) My guess is that the owner got this same list of problems and went "wholly sh*t... I'll just sell it!" :)

I expected a lot of C and B codes. Not all those powertrain codes. Was the CEL on (it should have been)

DTC C0040 RF Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit - As the wheel spins, the wheel speed sensor produces an AC signal. The electronic brake control module (EBCM) uses the frequency of the AC signal to calculate the wheel speed.

There are symptoms that come with these codes (you didn't list them)
18 - Signal Amplitude less than minimum
0F - Signal Erratic
00 - No additional information

DTC P1793 Wheel Speed Signal - The engine control module (ECM) sends wheel speed data to the transmission control module (TCM). The data is sent to the TCM through a communication network called the controller area network (CAN). Two circuits are used to communicate CAN data between the ECM and TCM. A fault in the CAN will not cause DTC P1793 to set by itself. If a CAN fault occurs, other DTCs will set before DTC P1793.

When the TCM receives invalid wheel speed data from the ECM, then DTC P1793 will set. DTC P1793 is a type C DTC.

DTC P0897 Transmission Fluid Life - Transmission fluid life is determined by monitoring transmission fluid temperature over a period of time. The transmission control module (TCM) calculates transmission fluid life based on a set of temperature ranges stored in TCM memory. As the vehicle is driven, a counter increments. The rate at which the counter increments depends on the temperature range in which the transmission is currently operating. The higher the temperature range, the faster the counter increments. As the counts increment, the TCM will begin to decrease the fluid life percentage from 100, high fluid life, to 0, low fluid life.

If the TCM detects a calculated transmission oil life of 10 percent or less, then DTC P0897 sets. DTC P0897 is a type C DTC.

DTC P0446 EVAP Vent System Performance - This DTC tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a restricted or blocked EVAP vent path. The control module commands the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Open and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. This allows vacuum to be applied to the EVAP system. Once a calibrated vacuum level has been reached, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Open. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor for a decrease in vacuum. If the vacuum does not decrease to near 0 inches H2O in a calibrated time, this DTC sets.

DTC P0335 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit - The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal indicates the crankshaft speed and position. The CKP sensor produces a DC voltage of varying amplitude and frequency. The frequency depends on the velocity of the crankshaft, and the DC output voltage depends on crankshaft position and battery voltage. The CKP sensor works in conjunction with a 58-tooth reluctor wheel attached to the crankshaft. The engine control module (ECM) determines the crankshaft position by the reference gap. The ECM can synchronize the ignition timing, fuel injector timing, and the spark knock control based on the CKP sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor inputs. The CKP sensor is also used to detect a misfire. The CKP sensor circuits connect directly to the ECM. The circuits between the CKP sensor and the ECM consists of the following:

• A 12-volt reference

• A low reference

• A CKP sensor signal

If the ECM detects no CKP sensor signal, DTC P0335 sets.

DTC P0507 Idle Speed High - The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The DC motor located in the throttle body drives the throttle plate. In order to decrease idle speed, the ECM commands the throttle closed, which reduces air flow into the engine. In order to increase idle speed, the ECM commands the throttle plate open, which allows more air flow into the engine. If the actual idle RPM does not match the desired idle RPM within a calibrated time, DTC P0507 sets.

DTC P1101 Intake Air Flow System Performance - The purpose of the global air diagnostic is to detect an airflow error. When this diagnostic determines that there is an airflow error, the DTC P1101 sets immediately. When this occurs, the fuel system operates in a default state and the engine control module (ECM) performs a series of tests to determine which of the following sensors or systems is the source of the error:

• DTC P0068 throttle body airflow performance

• DTC P0101 mass air flow (MAF) sensor performance

• DTC P0106 manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor performance

This DTC is designed to always set with another DTC as long as the ECM has had enough time to run the series of tests.

DTC P0068 Throttle Body Airflow Performance - The throttle position (TP) is compared to an expected throttle position based on engine load. The engine control module (ECM) determines engine load based on inputs from the mass air flow (MAF) and the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors. If the ECM detects that the current load and throttle position are not consistent with the expected load and throttle position, DTC P0068 is set.

DTC P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) System Performance - The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor used on this engine is a hot film meter (HFM) type. The engine control module (ECM) applies a voltage to the sensor on the signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage to produce a frequency based on the inlet air flow through the sensor bore. The frequency varies within a range of near 2,500 Hertz at idle to near 10,000 Hertz at maximum engine load. The MAF sensor frequency signal is a function of the current required to keep the air flow sensing element at a fixed temperature above ambient. The air flowing through the sensor cools the sensing element. The amount of cooling is proportional to the amount of the air flow. As the air flow increases, more current is required to maintain the hot film at a constant temperature. The ECM uses the MAF sensor signal to provide the correct fuel delivery for a wide range of engine speeds and loads. The MAF sensor uses the following circuits to operate:

• A 12-volt reference circuit

• A low reference circuit that is shared with the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor

• A signal circuit

The 12-volt reference circuit of the MAF sensor is also supplied to additional sensors and they are connected within the ECM. The 12-volt reference is shared by the following sensors:

• The MAF sensor

• The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor

• The camshaft position (CMP) sensor bank 1 intake

• The CMP sensor bank 1 exhaust

• The CMP sensor bank 2 intake

• The CMP sensor bank 2 exhaust

The ECM uses the following sensor inputs to calculate a MAF value that is based on an intake manifold model:

• The throttle position (TP) sensors

• The engine speed (RPM)

The ECM compares the actual MAF sensor frequency signal to the calculated MAF model. This comparison will determine if the signal is stuck based on a lack of variation, or is too low or too high for a given operating condition. If the ECM detects the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF model DTC P0101 sets.

DTC P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 1 and/or DTC P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2 - A three-way catalytic converter (TWC) controls emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). The catalyst within the converter promotes a chemical reaction which oxidizes the HC and CO that are present in the exhaust gas. This process converts these chemicals into water vapor and carbon dioxide (CO2), and will reduce the NOx, converting the NOx into nitrogen.

The catalytic converter stores oxygen. The efficiency of the TWC is determined by the measurement of the oxygen storage capacity (OSC). The engine control module (ECM) measures the catalyst OSC by monitoring the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) bank 1 sensor 2 and HO2S bank 2 sensor 2, during a steady state cruise. The ECM commands the air-to-fuel ratio lean and then rich for a calibrated number of cycles while monitoring the response time of the HO2S 2. The ECM then establishes an average response time from subsequent air-to-fuel ratio cycles. The difference of the average response time determines the OSC of the catalyst. If the ECM detects that this time difference is less than a calibrated value, DTC P0420 or DTC P0430 sets.

DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected - The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when the conditions for catalytic converter damage are present. DTCs P0301-P0308 correspond to cylinders 1-8. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will set.

DTC P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 and/or DTC P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 - The engine control module (ECM) controls the air/fuel metering system in order to provide the best possible combination of driveability, fuel economy, and emission control. Fuel delivery is controlled differently during Open and Closed Loop. During Open Loop, the ECM determines fuel delivery based on sensor signals without oxygen sensor (O2S) input. During Closed Loop, the O2S inputs are added and used by the ECM to calculate short and long term fuel trim (FT) fuel delivery adjustments. If the O2S indicates a lean condition, FT values will be above 0 percent. If the O2S indicate a rich condition, FT values will be below 0 percent. Short term FT values change rapidly in response to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) voltage signals. Long term FT makes coarse adjustments in order to maintain an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. If the ECM detects an excessively lean condition, DTC P0171 or P0174 sets.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:58 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I know that's a lot of reading, but many of those codes are related, in that when one sets, a couple of the others set. So sorting out the root problem will knock out a couple at once.

Also, the reason your RVS (Remote Vehicle Start) won't work is because of those codes commanding on the MIL. I wish you would've said that before, as I would've told you then, that's why it wouldn't work... :)

The remote vehicle start (RVS) will not operate under the following conditions:

• A keyless entry transmitter is in the vehicle.

• Vehicle is in valet mode

• More than 2 remote start have been attempted

• The hazard switch is in the ON position.

• A current hazard switch DTC is set.

• The vehicle hood is ajar.

• A current hood ajar switch DTC is set.

• The content theft deterrent system detects an alarm trigger

• Excessive engine RPM

• Excessive coolant temperature

• Low engine oil pressure

• Excessive engine crank time

• Accelerator pedal position great than 0 percent

• Vehicle not in park

• Vehicle theft deterrent malfunction

• A current automatic transmission shift lock control system DTC is set.

• A vehicle speed signal is detected by the engine control module (ECM).

• A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Yeah, I thought I mentioned at some point the light was on. I was told it was an oxygen sensor. lol. BTW, where did you find the DTC list at? I searched for a while before posting them here..

I think I'll have to start out with the basics. I would think an actual crank sensor issue would not let this thing run at all. Maybe it's as simple as the 12v reference being bad causing half of the codes. Guess I get to find out.

I already planned to change fluids on it.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I got the DTC list from you. You posted it. :)

I would think the same of the CKP, but if it's the low reference circuit, or even the reluctor wheel causing errant reads and not the actual sensor signal circuit, it can function.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
One of the guys on the cadillac forum suggested the battery could be a bit low voltage and causing some of this. I guess, now I have an excuse to get another battery and take this one for my truck. lol.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Perhaps, but some of the more involved DTC's like misfires, P0420, etc, are typically not.

I've had a completely dead battery in mine (I was lucky to get it started), and I had none of this.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Ok, so random question, what happens if the battery dies with the doors locked?

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Do it the old fashioned way... with the key

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:36 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Does the key flip out of the fob or something? The car has push button start, I didn't even notice it had key holes.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:00 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

You don't have a key like this?

Your front door has a key hole. There is no provision that I am aware of to override the push button start should it fail. I believe this was a point of contention with GM on several other cars (I.E. Corvette owners). One of the few nice thoughts on the RGC #2. If the push button start fails, gently pry off the push button head, and there is an old fashioned key slot behind it.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Well, looks like I have to make a trip to the dealer to get a key.

I have some fun ahead of me: https://youtu.be/IJPFYkl_5aU
Should clear up a few codes all at once maybe. I'm secretly hoping it clear up the 0507, 1101, 0068, 0101, 0300, 0171 and 0174.

I'm not really looking forward to the trans fluid change. I wish I had a lift..

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:21 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Well, not so add more, while in there, might as well consider changing the starter...

Actually, it isn't all that hard to R&R. It's more all the other crap you gotta undo first... Are you thinking it's the little rubber gaskets around each port? That would be a post MAF leak causing the lean codes, high idle to compensate possibly, and perhaps the EVAP.

Don't do a purge/power cleaning of the trans. Just drop the pan and replace the filter.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:14 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I was thinking the little rubber gaskets or the coupler to the throttle body might be torn, or possibly a crack in the intake manifold or broken vacuum lines. I've seen a lot of people that have posted about having issues with those things leaking. Either way, everything is going to need a thorough cleaning, might need to lube the throttle plate. And yes, I'm putting a new starter in it, unless I find it's already been replaced.

I'm going to just drop the pan on the trans, I don't do fancy trans fluid swap gimmicks. I wish I had a lift for this job, but I'll have to park it on some bricks and roll around. We'll see, but I'm probably going to do the transfer case swap at the same time.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Well, if you want to bring it here (I know that's a hell of a drive...).

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:56 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
I would be completely on board with that option, I'm down for a road trip.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I can't roadtrip right now, lol. What ATF came in the trans, dex-6 or 3?

I've changed my mind again, I'm going to try changing out just the chain. I found the chain online for $115. And reportedly nobody has needed to replace the sprockets when they did theirs.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Dex6. Dex6 supercedes 3 anyway.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:58 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Another random one for you. Intake plenum to throttle body on this one is a simple rubber coupler, unlike the part on the '00-'04. I'm trying to figure out what size it is, so I don't have to order another rubber coupler being that I have a ton of silicone couplers lying around. GM part number is 12580250, $50 on Amazon. Hate to spend $50 on something that I already have, but hate to tear down the engine to find that I needed it and don't have a proper sized silicone coupler....

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I want to say 4" from mammory. The inside of the TB is 75mm (3"), but the coupler I think was 4"

Daily Drivers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next