It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:02 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Many moons ago, I picked up this 1975 V178 Glastron. I paid a guy 300 bucks for the pleasure of dragging it out of his ditch ( he had multiple boats and trailers for sale ). He scooped it up onto the trailer it's sitting on in this picture that I got for free with another boat which I gave to him to sell ( it was a POS with a blown out transom that we bought for the motor for another boat ).
A while later, I horse traded the single axle trailer that was way to small for the bigger boat, for this tandem axle trailer. Cleaned it up, put bunks on it and loaded cranked the hull off the ground up onto it.
It was a complete basket case.
It spent a few years being worked on casually, mostly due to living in a trailer court. When we finally bought a house, I brought it home that spring from storage to its new home..where it sat, and sat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

And then I got serious about working on it for a while.
And then it sat, and sat and sat again.
Then one day I got a bug up my rear and decided that enough was enough! I was going to get some work done on that boat!
And I did!
Imageand then it sat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

But then 2010 happened, and I got the floor in!
And then I flipped the hull! By myself!
I ground out gel coat blisters, I extracted the lead from an errant .22 that had struck the nose of the hull...likely a pot shot by a local teen. I was making progress by gum!
And then it sat and hibernated over winter. My boat yard is only open for work for a few weeks a year, between the rain, the snow and the mosquito's, my work schedule, I rarely get to work on the boat..but slowly, it's starting to finally come together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:25 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

And then after much debate on a scheme, I decided on one. Partially due to the cost of marine paint and paint in general. I spent a lot of time looking into paints...so much research into a lot of the things I did to this boat. I learned and learned as much as I could. Ultimately deciding on John Deere Blitz Black enamel with hardener and sprayed on with a 20 dollar gun from Menards. Multiple coats, at least 4 solid coats on the hull. I put at least 1/2 gallon of paint on the hull if not more. Thinned with Xylol and painted under that big blue tarp. Wet sanded between coats because I couldn't just sit and paint and paint and paint to my hearts content. I had to paint in the morning after the dew dried and get it to dry enough to avoid issues in the evening. That was a challenge, mostly keeping it wet enough to not flash dry and leave lines, which the first couple of coats ended up with. No sanding and polishing happening here at the end.
After the last coat had a chance to cure for a couple of weeks, I felt it was safe enough to flip the hull back onto the trailer. I had my son help to avoid damaging the paint as the hulls center of gravity shifted.
Then we got the cap back on the hull! This is happening!
Time to send that gantry to the wood pile! It was a good day when I tore that down. I wasn't turning back!
And then it was time to hibernate again. The weather had turned to foul to risk more painting. I had looked for a place to finish the painting, but I decided to just wait until the next spring....stay tuned!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:28 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI/2007 TBSS/2004 CTS-V
Looks great =D>

2001 Bonneville SSEI (His) - Gen V/3.5 pulley/CAI/SD Headers/ZZP 1.9 Rockers/90# Springs/Magnaflow Converter/HP Tuners/180* T-Stat/Trans-Go Shift Kit/TruCool Transmission Cooler/ F-Body Front Brakes/STS Rear Brakes/Tint/GXP Interior September 2015 COTM

2007 Trailblazer SS (Hers) - PCM4Less tune, E-Fans, SLP PowerFlo Exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, PML Tranny Pan, Powerstop Brakes,
"Big 3", Tint

2004 CTS-V (His) - B&B Exhaust, LS7 clutch, HIDs, LED fogs, Powerstop Brakes, Tint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Of course, what's a boat without a motor? I scored this for 500 bucks from my neighbor who's an avid fisherman and had taken really good care of it. It sat on my deck for 3 years before I finished the boat. It's an 1987 Force...125hp, which is the max hp my boat is rated for.