It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:11 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Some of you may recall I purchased my 2008 Cadillac STS as a winter beater several years back. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of doing a little work, making some mods and then having it appraised. I really didn't intend on buying another car, but a few weeks ago the appraiser strongly suggested I not drive it in the winter. The replacement value came back far higher than I expected it would. I was also warned that if I continue to drive it during winter months, it will decline in value much faster.

So this brings us to September 2016...

Now, I know some of you may disagree with this qualifying as a "winter beater". But, it really is! Options are not over the top. It has only the most necessary of winter driving requirements.

Remote start
    Heated seats (front and rear)
    Heated steering wheel

This "Black Cherry" 2008 Cadillac DTS Luxury II was owned by the same gentleman since he imported it back in 2008 with 26,000km (16,000 miles). It seems to be in very good condition overall but does need a little work. He provided all the service records since his original purchase and repairs were almost exclusively completed at a Cadillac dealership. It's getting struts, front wheel hubs and front brakes next week. Also, as with many DTS's from 2006 and beyond, a new center high mount stop lamp.

Apart from giving it a good clean-up, I really have no other plans for this. I've never been a big fan of the DTS styling and I'll never forgive GM for putting a body line right through the barn door sized fuel door. Because of this, I really don't think I'll fall in love with it the same as I have my Bonneville and STS.

Of course I must include a "fleet shot"!

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:48 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Huh, winter beater to me is a 1990's GM econobox with decent tires and a lot of rust, but starts and runs well enough to make it through a winter before I sell it for scrap the following spring....lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:03 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
So...many...Northstars!!! lol Doesn't look to bad, a bath, coat of wax and some good winter rubber and you'll be riding in style!

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Tick tack toe, three Northstars in a row. Hahaha! Looks like a perfect winter beater to me. I'm right there with you on the styling. Always thought they were a little ugly.

Just so happens that the fleet shot has the cars arranged in the order of beauty.. from least to best!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:16 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Just had my first oil change! Tech showed me around underneath the vehicle on the hoist. The case half seals are bone dry and rust is almost non-existant which is really unusual for a nine year old Alberta vehicle. Hmmmm... this isn't turning out to be much of a winter beater after all lol!

As for the fleet shot, it was really about acquisition... most recent to oldest. I can't argue about the styling though, except I have grown rather fond of the STS with the wheels and spoiler additions.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:56 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
redfury wrote:
Huh, winter beater to me is a 1990's GM econobox with decent tires and a lot of rust, but starts and runs well enough to make it through a winter before I sell it for scrap the following spring....lol.

ditto - BC