All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So...I bought a Honda
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:01 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

Year and Trim: ___
2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
1984 Honda VF750F Interceptor. Bought it from a friend of mine last week. It has been sitting in the back of his garage for almost 4 years now. But so far it seems like it's in great shape. It's history is fairly well known since his dad bought this new and it later became my friend's during our high school years. He's since moved on to a few other bikes and unfortunately this one got neglected. Well, maybe it's fortunately for me since he let it go for the price he paid 5 years ago to replace the front forks. It needs a few things and a good cleaning.

So far I had to replace the battery, which I already knew was needed going into this. Got some fresh gas in it and got it fired up and running, but the choke has to remain engaged. Any attempt to pull the choke off and it dies. It idles fine while it warms up but once warmed up it doesn't like to idle. I managed to keep it running long enough to ride for about 20 minutes so I could stir up the oil and change it after. Everything seems to work, it rides great, and runs smoothly when you're on the throttle. Off throttle it sounds rough, not misfiring but not smooth. Carbs undoubtedly will need a cleaning so that's the next project. Buddy I bought it from said they're a PITA to remove, we'll see. Hoping to have this thing registered, inspected, ect. and riding in the coming week or two.

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:16 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
when i saw the title i was going to shun you. then i realized it was a bike and was ok with that fact. nice pickup!

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Looks like fun.

Any day on 2 wheels is a good day.

Getting to the carbs might be a PITA.. as far as working on bikes go. But, for me at least, working on bikes is wayy easier than a car.

Is valve adjustment part of the bikes maintenance schedule?

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The carbs will need to be synced, at least one of the throttles is completely closed at idle causing the misfire. This is kinda annoying to do, you need a 4-port vac manometer and a combination of screwdrivers..
I haven't tried this one, but it seems really easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaTRyHxvneY

The trick I use is a feeler gauge (piece of paper) to adjust them on the bench so they are close, they need to be barely cracked open just starting to grab the paper but still pass it through. Then afterwards tweak it with the manometer

http://www.v4market.com/ is where I get everything for mine.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:44 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
95naSTA wrote:
Any day on 2 wheels is a good day.

Getting to the carbs might be a PITA.. as far as working on bikes go.
Agreed. By your description it's almost guaranteed the idle jet(s) are clogged with varnish. Chances are real good the bike was parked with fuel in the float bowls.

You might want to consider replacing the tires if the bike's been sitting that long with the same rubber. Old tires on a car is one thing, on a bike it's a whole 'nuther story. You don't want to be smoking down the interstate on your bike and lose a tire. Your life should be worth more than what a new set of tires will cost you.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Looks like a fun time! So many colors.. Haha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:20 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
He said he turned the fuel off last time he rode it, but obviously something isn't right. As for the tires he said they were 1 or 2 years old when he parked it. I had looked them over though, no signs of cracks from dry rotting or anything. It was parked in a conditioned garage and moved around occasionally, I'm sure that helped to some degree.

Thanks for the tips & links there Matt!

95naSTA wrote:
Is valve adjustment part of the bikes maintenance schedule?

I believe so. Not something I've looked into specifically yet though.

nos4blood70 wrote:
Looks like a fun time! So many colors.. Haha

(imported) 'Murica!

DTM Tuned | Dual AeroForce | Solid Mounts | 255 Walbro Pump | Fuel Logs | GXP STB & Sway Bars | CSS Lowering Springs | GXP Brakes | Disabled DRL
Magnaflow Mufflers | Magnaflow Cat | GXP Seats & Trim | 35 % Tint | Cleared & Tinted Tails | repinS Retrofited Morimoto Mini H1 | 19" GT500 Wheels
'09 G8 GT "Abigail" Mods: Rotofab | LS3 Heads, Intake & Cam | Kooks LT | Solo Exhaust | Tien Springs w/ GXP Struts | Whiteline Swaybars | BMR Subframe Connectors
Achievements: Guinevere - 264k mi | 16.27 @ 84.10mph | March '11 COTM :: Chloe - 223k mi | 13.85 @ 102mph | January '09 COTM :: Abigail - 192k mi | 12.85 @ 112mph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Even if he ran the float bowls dry, I'm betting the pilot/idle jets are clogged with something...varnish, corrosion, farfel...

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:01 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Finally got around to going through the carbs. One was definitely gunked up with like 1mm thick of a green film in the float bowl. The other 3 seemed fairly clean. Couple jets did have some trash in them and one of the float needles were stuck. Overall it wasn't a bad job. Got the rebuild kit from V4 Market that Matt linked to. The instructions and info included with that kit was almost worth it by itself. Lots of pictures & info on these bikes in general and a couple service manuals in PDF form! Only real issue I had was when I removed the carbs 4 small springs fell out and I had no idea where they had come from. I did figure out two of them for the throttle linkage adjustment, but had to email the guy from V4 Market about the others and he was able to help identify them and where they went. Hardest part of this job was getting the carbs back on the bike. Ended up replacing all the fuel lines and new fuel filter too. Air filter was already a K&N so just cleaned it and reoiled as well.

But wow, I thought it sounded okay before, this made a big difference. Much better and more responsive now. Here's a short clip of it at idle and a little rev... https://youtu.be/WgXYJZ-g-Dc

Time for registration and inspection!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:37 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
She's been officially on the road for a couple weeks but it's basically rained every day except for 2 in the last two weeks. It seemed to be running great but started noticing a lot of backfiring and went back to tweaking the carbs. Having a tough time dialing them in as far as air/fuel mixture thus far. I give it more fuel and it runs a LOT better in high RPMs but then won't want to idle or is sluggish down low. Take fuel away and it idles great and responds quick on the throttle but is noticeably down on power over 2-3k+ RPM. Not having much luck finding the sweet spot in the middle. I'm sure this is the typical battle with carbs but this is my first adventure messing with them. I'll have to look into the manometer method here soon but the '01 is going back to the top of the priority list this weekend.

First legal ride selfie before leaving for work:

...and here's the I-made-it-to-work-and-didn't-die selfie:

And a couple more pics:

Custom plates came in this week too!

I'm surprised they let this one through actually. As it would be seen to imply an illegal activity and not explicitly my name and initial as the rest of the family vehicle plates are. My second choice was NTCPTR, which is the closest I could get to Interceptor that was available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:26 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

WhiteArrow3800 wrote:
She's been officially on the road for a couple weeks but it's basically rained every day except for 2 in the last two weeks. It seemed to be running great but started noticing a lot of backfiring and went back to tweaking the carbs. Having a tough time dialing them in as far as air/fuel mixture thus far. I give it more fuel and it runs a LOT better in high RPMs but then won't want to idle or is sluggish down low. Take fuel away and it idles great and responds quick on the throttle but is noticeably down on power over 2-3k+ RPM. Not having much luck finding the sweet spot in the middle. I'm sure this is the typical battle with carbs but this is my first adventure messing with them.

How are you adjusting the fuel? Needle clip position, and idle a/f screw? And what side of the carb is the screw air filter or engine?

Are you sure you float needles are sealing? If they're leaking you'll pull more fuel in down low.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:19 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
You might want to do a compression check. If that's good then you're still looking at a carb balance issue.

Don't expect this motor to make power below 3k rpm. That should only be an issue if you're in 1st gear. 4k rpm on these is the same as running a 3800 at 1500rpm.

That being said, ripping the throttle open should result in many torques and smiles. Consider 4k rpm the minimum for cruising.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:21 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
95naSTA wrote:
What side of the carb is the screw air filter or engine?

Using the pilot screws, they're in the middle but seem to favor the air intake side of the carbs, however they have the pointy tips so they control fuel. I think I did get it really close now though. I started the process over and set the screws back to the stock setting with 2-1/2 turns out. I took much tinier steps this time and got it running strong up high and still idles. Still have a little backfire from the rear cylinders occasionally but it's not as bad as before and it's running better so I can live with that. My friend (the previous owner) said he managed to high-center the bike on a tall curb at some point and bent the rear header so there's a bit of a choke point, that may play a part in it?

In other news Matt, V4 Market that you linked to before has closed http://www.v4market.com/ :sad:
But looks like we can still contact the individual vendors for parts...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:18 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Little update with the bike. Had to combat an electrical gremlin causing the bike to lose power at random. Looked like there was some previous electrical work that was poorly done. So I ended up cutting the whole pigtail off on that section and redoing it and solved the cutting out. And the starter button was sticking, but I got a box of miscellaneous parts and happened to have another set of controls in it so I swapped those on. Next is the engine temp sensor quit working.

But back in October I took the Interceptor to a car show hosted by a local Continental Tire factory. Unexpectedly won 2nd place in the motorcycle category, so that was super cool on my first outting with it, haha.

Pretty cool trophy too:

Anyhow been riding it whenever the weather was nice enough. Been caught at night a few times and the stock sealed beam headlight was pretty dismal. High beam was good, but the low beam didn't reveal much on the road. I had been looking at some options for a while and debating on ditching the windscreen/fairing and going with a round headlight setup. Which is what I was 100% sure I was going to do when I bought the bike but I started to like how it looks as-is. Then I came across this JW Speaker LED Headlight on Retrofit Source. Initially I assumed the price was for a pair and contacted them to see if they'd split up a set, because motorcycle. They said yeah, it happens often enough that it wouldn't be a problem, just cut the price in half. But I think whoever replied thought I was talking about a different headlight because I later discovered the price was just for one. I wasn't ready to justify that much for one headlight, but I went ahead and got it on a TRS sale the other week. And holy cow what an improvement!

Looks kind of funky but I'm digging it

Lows

Highs

Lows

Highs

And out on the road, Lows

Highs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:16 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Nice, is there a write-up on that headlamp somewhere? I need that.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:42 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 01 SLE
Luxrain wrote:
when i saw the title i was going to shun you. then i realized it was a bike and was ok with that fact. nice pickup!

Just as bad if not worse. Why is it ok to buy a jap bike but not a car? Seems rather hypocritical.
To each their own tho I guess.
Sorta like fat women...fun to ride but wouldn't want your friends to see ya.
Enjoy your ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:29 pm 
Moderator / Social Dev
Moderator / Social Dev

2001 Bonneville SSEi
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Not much found in the way of any detailed write-ups, just a few posts on Jeep forums or generic youtube reviews/comparisons. Only complaints I found from anyone were for winter drivers. These LED lights don't build up any heat at all so if it's snowing, it'll build up on the lens instead of melting off. However on the bike I don't plan to be out in any inclement weather so that shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

WhiteArrow3800 wrote:
These LED lights don't build up any heat at all so if it's snowing, it'll build up on the lens instead of melting off.
:lol: Anyone who would ride one of these things in weather that would cause a buildup of snow to accumulate on the headlight deserves whatever fate the gods have in store for them. I think melting the snow off the headlight might be the least of worries. Why would a crotch-rocket even be pulled out of the garage in that kind of weather? #-o

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:15 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

If you haven't already, rain-x your visor.

I put a new visor on not too long ago and forgot to do it.. I got stuck in the rain Tuesday and visibility suckkkked.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K