It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:51 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
Wes wrote:
MattStrike wrote:
I might have been convinced to throw the twin T25's on here. It would make the exhaust a lot simpler, though I'd run low boost without an intercooler at first. Then I could save the Northstar for the T Type. Argh! Can't decide!.....

I don't think you will have enough room in there, it's looking pretty cramped already. :booty2:

Cramped? That truck came with an optional big-block! I can't imagine there not being enough room under the hood for a twin-turbo 6 with accessories. I say go for it! :hail:

2004 Bonneville GXP Crimson Tintcoat- Casual fuel gauge | Brake Performance drilled/slotted rotors front and rear| Retrofit Morimoto mini H1 | clear corners | disabled DRL | 3000K HID fogs | 5% tint | K&N | Yakima rack with fairing, bike rails and kayak rack | Intermittent radio display
1995 Bonneville SSE Deep Amethyst Pearl- SSEI tails | 5% tint | 3 12jlw3v2 in custom enclosure -Gone
1991 Bonneville LE Blue- Alloy spokes -Deceased(deer)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:20 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick Park Ave
BBamm wrote:
Wes wrote:
MattStrike wrote:
I might have been convinced to throw the twin T25's on here. It would make the exhaust a lot simpler, though I'd run low boost without an intercooler at first. Then I could save the Northstar for the T Type. Argh! Can't decide!.....

I don't think you will have enough room in there, it's looking pretty cramped already. :booty2:

Cramped? That truck came with an optional big-block! I can't imagine there not being enough room under the hood for a twin-turbo 6 with accessories. I say go for it! :hail:

I was hoping my sarcasm would come through in text. :-$

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:47 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
Wes wrote:
BBamm wrote:
Wes wrote:

I was hoping my sarcasm would come through in text. :-$

My bad, I'm usually the sarcastic one so I can't believe I missed it. :banghead:

2004 Bonneville GXP Crimson Tintcoat- Casual fuel gauge | Brake Performance drilled/slotted rotors front and rear| Retrofit Morimoto mini H1 | clear corners | disabled DRL | 3000K HID fogs | 5% tint | K&N | Yakima rack with fairing, bike rails and kayak rack | Intermittent radio display
1995 Bonneville SSE Deep Amethyst Pearl- SSEI tails | 5% tint | 3 12jlw3v2 in custom enclosure -Gone
1991 Bonneville LE Blue- Alloy spokes -Deceased(deer)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:24 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Haha, no problem! It can be hard to tell sometimes.

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:59 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Motor mount update! Had some fun with this, the engine block is a lot shorter than the V8/I6 engines you would have normally found in this frame.

The drivers side mount is done:

Passenger side mount getting fabricated. I ended up having to remove and plug the holes for the knock sensor and the oil pressure sensor to make room for the mount.

Clearance to the oil filter bracket, engine looks crooked as I have all the weight pulled off the mount-in-progress.

And the main structure of the mount it tacked together, needs a few more small pieces for bracing.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
MattStrike wrote:
Moving right along with things. Got the engine all cleaned up and working on the belt drive. I'm planning a dual alternator setup now, started mocking that up today:

I've been thinking about converting this to OBD-2, so I can tune it. The first thing that comes to mind as a roadblock is the crank/cam trigger. Aside from the adjustable mount for the crank sensor, does anybody know if the timing on the crank and cam interrupts is the same between the L27 and a series 2? I think I found a good spot on the block to add the dual knock sensors. Anything else I might be forgetting about?

I think the crank and cam interrupts are the same, They use the same ignition module.. The 93 and up used a non adjustable crank sensor and it was used till the end of production.. The cam sensor is only used for a #1 TDC reference for SFI.. I believe the timing difference/s are in the tune..

Sandrock ran his Series 1 L67 with an OBD2 PCM.. I know he dorked with a couple of Series II files trying to get things to work.. Car actually ran really well..

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The internet has rewarded me some new surprises for this build. Should be fun!

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:54 am 

Do tell... :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
This weekend saw the front end re-assembled and the truck back on all 4 wheels, which gets a lot of stuff out of the way and back on the truck. However I'll need to find a different replacement spindle lock washer. This is the one I replaced already, but typical of cheap aftermarket parts it's not a direct re-make of the originals. The washer has a tab on the ID that locks into the spindle, and there are holes around the face of the washer where a pin on the inner lock nut will fit into. The aftermarket part, these holes are symmetrically opposite to the tab, meaning you can't flip the lock washer when the pin in the nut is between holes to get it to line up. This results in either an over-tightened bearing or under-tightened bearing. With the OE washer, they holes are offset from the tab. Effectively that offset creates 2x's the resolution compared to the aftermarket part, so you can get the bearing closer to where it should be.

I also got the electric power steering unit. So I started mocking up what needs to happen there too. It did not come with the steering universal joint though, I'll need to grab one because the shaft is splined and not the standard D shape. The upside is that I can replace the rubber coupler for a proper universal. I may also have to pull a steering wheel that mates up to the other end to use to make an adapter to connect the steering shaft from the truck to the unit. I'll be bolting it directly to the frame.

I'm still working on the plumbing for the engine, water lines and oil lines, sensors, etc..

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Time to let the cat out of the bag, you probably suspected this from the beginning, but the turbo bug has bit hard. I'll be putting the twin T25 Saab turbos on here. Rebuilding the T25 turbos now, the first one is apart. Needs new bearings, seals, but good news is no excessive heat. It was stored indoors with oil in it but the oil must have leaked out and wasn't spinning freely. The turbine side was coked up really bad in addition to the oxidation on the shaft; so the jury is out on whether or not it can be re-used. The second turbo won't need a full rebuild, no shaft play, no signs of oil in the turbine housing. It will need to be re-clocked, cleaned up, etc.

As much room as it seems like there is, there are some areas that are a little tight to fit. In an effort to keep things simple, the starter motor has a close fit to where i want to mount the left turbo. I've changed out the starter for the gear reduction unit, but still will need to wrap the turbine housing and downpipe so I don't cook the starter. I might even need to wrap the starter.

Headers, like the SSEi, are going to be drainpipe headers. They will be able to handle the weight of a turbo, but I will also be making a bracket similar to what I did on the SSEi to take the majority of the weight off the header so that I never have to worry about cracking the header or mount.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

:bwoohoo:

And that engine looks so tiny in there.

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:45 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Turbo all the things!!!

You can never just keep things simple can you? Hopefully it’s all done in time for the meet. Definitely going to get some looks pulling this thing in the parking lot Saturday. Either way this is shaping up to be a one of a kind truck. Eventually you want to put a Northstar in this one right? And then keep the turbos for that I’d assume. Can’t wait to see all the madness in person.

'99 Olds Alero GX Coupe the get me by beater- sold
'03 Bonneville SSEi 'Gina' Feb. '16 COTM | 35% tint | smoked tail lights | boat roller mount | carbon fiber accents | Silverline exhaust tips
Ziebart rust protection & undercoating | CompuStar Accustart | LED interior lighting
Intense shift kit | Intense FWI | 3" ZZP downpipe | RDI headers | 3.4 MPS | Autolite 104s | 180 deg t-stat | custom tune | ZZP high flow fuel filter | alum coolant elbows and LIM gaskets | much more to come…hopefully

'15 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD 259 HP | 10k miles | 2-way remote start | undercoating and window tint to come
'98 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 | 112k miles | S&B intake | garage ornament | more to come

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:56 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
I am really curious to see how the L27 holds up to boost.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
:withstupid:

Didn't sandrock also top swap an L27 that ended up dying within the first few thousand miles of seeing boost? Not saying it won't work, and you'd definitely be able to build the motor for boost I'm sure, just something to check into for the build.

Other than that, this thing is coming together nicely!!!

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:09 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
From what I remember, Don said that that engine had been on the way out, they just didn't know it until they did an autopsy. It will be interesting though to see the final outcome. Keep at it Matt!

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:13 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Hopefully that's the case, and this works well! I can't really recall many high hp series 1 builds.

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:17 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I'll be starting out at 5psi or so, should be safe as long as it's tuned right. From what I can tell, the key is to not run too much timing due to piston dwell time with the longer connecting rod engine, the connecting rods won't handle the stress of getting peak pressure right after TDC because they need a few extra degrees of rotation to get moving.

I don't expect this to add too much time to the overall build, though having it done for the meet will be pushing it. I have a three day weekend coming up so I should be able to make some decent progress. The list of things to do is getting really small:
-Headers/turbos/downpipes
-Engine plumbing/brackets
-Wire harness and PCM
-Fenders and grill
-Steering
-Brakes

Might need to squeeze in a junkyard run for a few misc things, but otherwise I should have everything I need to get done.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:54 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Got a few more small things done tonight, including installing the L67 fuel injectors:

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:06 pm 

The good thing is you are already starting off with lower compression.. But just for giggles....
Ford Mustang Split Port 3.8 Piston/Rod assembly on the left..... L27 3800 In the Middle...... L36 On the right
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:17 pm 

00Beast wrote:
From what I remember, Don said that that engine had been on the way out, they just didn't know it until they did an autopsy. It will be interesting though to see the final outcome. Keep at it Matt!

Yes, from what I learned later this engine suffered a lack of lubrication due to fuel fouled oil, damage was done before we ever put the engine into service.. The pistons were still in top shape even after beating the car for a few thousand miles during tuning.. It was running a 2.2 pulley, with nothing for KR.. I swear to this day it had more off the line grunt than an LS4..

Gen 3 M62 with a 2.2 pulley, running an OBD2 PCM... On a 94 L27 with 9.0:1 compression, with the roller pivot rockers( 93-95 )... And the L27 rod in the picture is from that very engine..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next