It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My '98 i30
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Very nice! I always hate seeing dash removals, they look so daunting in photographs haha

1968 Camaro SS - Show Car

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE | 2002 Camaro Z28
Car looks really good! A good set of wheels can completely change the look of a car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Thanks guys!

The i30 dash is a good bit easier to remove/reinstall compared to my 95 Bonnie.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Not so fun update..

I was about to take an exit off a highway and the car started pulling hard to the right.. Letting off the gas made it feel fine. Getting on the gas after the off ramp made it pull again with some mechanical grinding. I pulled over into safe driveway and pulled the right front wheel to see if the axle nut came loose or something. The nut was fine but when I went to turn the rotor, the axle didn't move.. The outer CV blew.

I got a AAA piggy back ride to my buddy's shop to replace the axle and they were able to warranty out the axle for me since it's about 2 weeks old. While I had it up I saw that the driver's side axle seal was leaking a little. After I put the new passenger side axle in, I went to replace that seal too. The driver's axle gave me hell trying to get it out and this had me very uneasy.. After I finally got it out, my anxiety was confirmed:

That scoring is in the viscous coupling of the VLSD differential. The bearing pressed onto the coupling on the left:

Even if it was cost effective to replace the diff, the trans has to some apart and preloaded correctly. This trans only has 15k on a rebuild too. The VLSD trans it replaced worked fine but leaked like crazy due to worn diff bearings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_KQu36vwSo&

I decided to throw another axle in the driver's side to hopefully buy some time, take the old trans apart to replace the diff bearings only plus shim accordingly, and install that trans. That trans is all apart now and the bearings/seals are ordered.

I could have went HLSD 6 speed but I can't justify the time/cost/effort when I really want to be focusing on the bonnie. I'll be into this for about $275 with fluid. I knew there was a reason I kept that old trans.. lol.

In other news, I think I figured out what's up with the misfire. My datalog software has LT fuel trims for both banks but not actual mV values for both banks, only the front. I saw that the front O2 would stop oscillating and get hung up. Whenever it would get unstuck the fuel trims for that bank would dip and the WBO2 would see a lean condition. With a multimeter I confirmed the O2 mV on the datalog matched the front bank and when I went to check the rear, it was not oscillating at all.. These O2 sensors are fairly new too. NTKs (NGK) with less than 20k. So they'll be swapped out for another brand.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:21 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Always seems like having old parts around is a stupid idea until something like this happens then you just feel a sigh of relief that you don't have to go hunting and spending even more money on parts! Nothing worse then the feeling of needing a part that you tossed out because it was sitting around :lol:

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

^^100% agree. It's funny that out of all the car stuff in my basement, the spare trans usually gets a comment or two. A spare trans? Really?

I got the diff bearings off today. The passenger side was pretty easy with a gear puller since there were notches specifically for that. The driver's side's inner race sat flush with the viscous coupler and there was no way to get a puller behind it. Pulling it out by the cage wasn't going to work either. I cut the cage off then drememled in grooves for the gear puller working off the small shelf for the needle beaings. It was too thin at the top and it cracked.. So, I dremeled a grove perpendicular to the inner race down to where I could crack it open.

Passenger side. (pretty sure I'm using a 3800 cam bolt in that pic)

Driver's side carnage:

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Bumping this..

I got tired of axle vibes shaking the steering wheel under load so I raised the rear of the engine to help with the axle angle.

On the rear mount only, I slotted the stock holes, took 1/2" washers and welded them a 1/2" down from the stock hole location. I probably could have went higher without clearance issues. But, this is as far as I would go with washers. The front and sides would need to be raised too. My side mounts are stock.. I think they'll be ok with the 1/2" but we'll see.

So far so good. The vibes aren't completely gone but it's much much better.

Also did the O2 sensors after I found that the rear wasn't oscillating, and the front would stop periodically. When the front would get hung up is when I would get that miss I talked about in my previous posts. My scantool software only shows mV for the front. So I found out about the rear via multimeter. FWIW these were NTK (NGK) and they were maybe 15k old. The new ones are Densos.

And...
I still haven't finished the spare trans but I did measure the diff bearing play and ordered/received the correct spacers.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Wow, lots of work there Mike. Keep it up!

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Turns out my oversized rad rubbed a hole in the condenser line at some point. I opted for a ghetto fix because it was free and pressure tested ok.. a compression fitting. Plus the PO did a compression fitting repair on a bay mounted, high side hard line maybe 6 years ago and it's held up fine. Then after a day the HVAC controller wouldn't engage the clutch.. Triple switch was fine, 12v to the compressor made the clutch engage, fuses/relays fine, power and ground to HVAC unit fine. For the time being I have the HVAC controller clutch engagement circuit grounded out via a switch because it's hot out.. The triple switch will keep it from over pressurizing.. The new controller actually came.. I'm just being lazy.

About a week or so after getting the a/c working, I hit a big bump in the road, bent a coolant hard line that runs from the oil adapter up to the thermostat.. it bent into the a/c and alternator belt, wore the belt in half (long ways luckily), and ripped a hole in the soft portion of the line. This was a lunch at work so I had to fix the soft line on the street and top it off with water. Go home, replace the soft-hard-soft line with a soft line the whole run and replaced the belt.

That was cool for a week until my alternator decided to intermittently stop working, I replaced that yesterday.. Forgot that involves dropping the engine a bit to clear the long through bolt.. And my oversized rad was in the way of squeezing the alt up through the top. Once together, I realized the idler puller was on it's way out.. ran over and got one of those too..

After all that b.s. I decided to clean it up and snap some pics.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Geez, sucks to see you had all kinds of problems, hope they're not getting you down.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Yeah.. It sucks but it could always be worse.

I've been lucky not to need much downtime and the weather has been cooperating with curbside repairs.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:01 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

The clutch pedal bracket started squeaking and it was harder to get the car into gear at low speeds. When I looked up at the bracket, I could see one pinch weld broke and the whole bracket was flexing with the pedal. So, I ordered another bracket.

I took the old bracket out with plans to reinforce the new bracket where the pinch weld broke.. Turns out in addition to that, the one MC stud ear broke off and there was another crack.

For the mounting face at included the broken pinch weld and MC stud, I welded a BOV flange connecting everything together. The flange and a few large washers were put in between the bracket and the firewall by the PO. Since this is a manual swapped car, the firewall was thin at the MC mounting point and this sandwiched it all together. I also added a 90 L to the opposite corner that cracked. The metal prep and welding is very meh.. Honestly didn't really care much considering the redundancy.

The difference is night and day. It's a easy couple of inches higher up off the floor and it goes into gear a lot easier.

With the welder out and a little time left over at my buddy's shop (thunderstorms were predicted) I decided to make a purely functional throttle stop. This is a DBW TB converted to cable. When I originally converted it, I shaved down the aluminum to make a shelf to stop the TB throttle lever. After a while the throttle lever started slipping past this shelf, and sometimes getting stuck (at WOT, that was fun). I bent the lever out of the way so it wouldn't get stuck but that left nothing stopping it from going past 100% open. Looking at what was laying around I decided to make a stopper using a brake line bracket and a valve stem.. Re: part about purely functional.. lol.

The stopper uses one of the TB bolts and I welded it to the cable stopping bracket. The rubber valve stem is pinched where the brake line would have ran and it cushions the throttle lever right at 100% open.

http://youtu.be/cbzha8sfZV4

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:37 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
Thats some quality backyard engineering if i do say so myself.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I had a bit more work to do this past weekend.

The steering has been sloppy with tight inner/outer tie rods and LCA assemblies. This told me my 213k old steering rack was about due to be changed.

With that there was a bunch of might as wells:
Welded a crack in the 3" exhaust
Replaced the hard to reach low pressure p/s hoses and high pressure hose
New outter tie rods even though they were fairly new, same with the rack bushings
Found out my 2k mile old passenger side axle had a ripped inner cv boot, replaced that possibly under warranty
Heard a new winding/grinding.. took off alt/compressor belt to isolate, tensioner bearing was loose, replaced tensioner with a NIB my buddy had, spun alt no noise, spun compressor.. Looks like I'll be replacing the bearing or unit soon
Did a toe and go alignment since the camber was close enough to where I wanted

The job wasn't that bad overall.. especailly on a lift. It did kinda suck to end up with more issues. But, my steering is very tight now which makes it all worth it. Before, if I got into the throttle, the steering would be all over the place and overall it just had extra play. All of that is gone.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:01 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Since 4" intakes produce gains on 09+ Maxima 3.5s (my engine with variable cam timing), I decided to add it to the mod list. My current setup used a 3.5" Q45 MAF and velocity stack. The new setup utilizes the same filter, a new velocity stack, a 4" diameter aluminum pipe, and cut up Q45 MAF.

The process was:
-chopped up a Q45 MAF with a band saw
-grinded the outer edges of the MAF base to open up the radius
-drilled a hole big enough for the MAF in a 1' long 4" Dia aluminum pipe
-scored outline of MAF body onto the pipe
-sanded the inside radius of the MAF base and aluminum pipe within the scoring with 180 grit sandpaper
-taped off scored/sanded area on the pipe
-mixed up JB Weld KwikWeld, applied to to the MAF and mated it to the pipe
-cleaned up the edges of excess epoxy
-removed tape

Tuning: (via E Manage piggyback)
I had to scale the MAF 50% to get the fuel trips into an acceptable range then I started to modify the injector tables from there. To put things into perspective, this is 30% more than the Q45 MAF/Housing.

The initial impression is good. The midrange and upper RPMs pull harder and throttle response was increased. I only have a rough tune so I've yet to see how it pulls past stock redline. I'm waiting on an another axle before I really get into it.

I actually had to clock the intake so the MAF body was pointing at the master cylinder. It hit the hood otherwise. Don't mind the dirty bay.. this is my daily.. and not the Bonnie.

Outside of opening the engine up, I think this is literally the last mod I can really do for power with this setup.

Maintenance is next. I'm putting in a new OEM passenger axle and new axle seal. I'm hoping I'll actually be able to get a lot more than the thousand or so miles I've been getting out of these aftermarket passenger axles. I'm not looking to raise the car up and I know OEM has better angle correction. We shall see.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
That looks really nice! Very professional looking! I like what you have done with this car overall and it's good to see it still around.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Thanks man!

I'd like to say this is the first time this has happened but it took a week to figure out the oem axle I ordered was discontinued. I called because the order status wasn't changing and sure enough this was the case. I love doing someone else's job.. Thanks Infiniti Parts Online/Infiniti of Peoria.

Plan B: I called up The Driveshaft Shop, the same guys that made the custom Bonnie axles for me to see what they can do. They do a lot of Skyline/350/s14/s13 axles so the hope is they can use some existing parts and come up with something. I know my outer spline count matches the s13/14s at least. I was getting up to 15k out of the axles before without issue at a lower height with remans. The engine has been raised a 1/2", the coils have gone up 1/2" and the most recent passenger axle began making noise at 1k miles.. I really think it's a deteriorating quality thing but it's obviously compounded by my ride height and possible binding of the center shaft.. All of this was discussed as well as the fact that the outer CV was the point of failure the last 2 axles. I got an OEM (uncut/molested/remanned) axle on the way to them and I'm going to take some measurements to ensure the new axle won't bind at the current ride height.

The good news is this may be cheaper than buying the OEM axle to begin with and end up being stronger.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I got on my buddy's alignment rack, popped the axle out of the knuckle, set the car back down, and got the ride height trans seal to wheel bearing seal measurements The Driveshaft Shop requested. 31.5" overall. I also measured 17" from the back of the inner bearing cup to the wheel bearing seal.

When I compared them to a spare axle, I still had an inch before the axle is fully compressed. So, binding from axle length is not an issue in my case.

I could have went 300m center and their internals for $400. They cut shafts in 1/8" increments too. Tad at the Driveshaft Shop asked if I've ever broken the shaft before and if not suggested that I may just want to go with the cheaper alternative of rebuilding the OEM axle I sent them for $100.

I decided to go with the latter since I'm staying n/a and have no plans for slicks. The advantage over a typical remain would be no cutting of the bearing cups, OEM or better quality internals, and better boots.

This sounds similar to what Raxles used to provide for these cars.

I'll update after install.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

A little update here.

I put the driveshaft shop passenger axle in but the center support bearing either went bad fast or was already bad to begin with. Either way it got worse. I assumed it was the wheel bearing because less than a year ago I had to drive a few miles with a loose axle nut. I replaced that with a new hub but the noise stayed. Turned out to be the bearing.. This wasn't replaced with the rebuild and it wasn't supposed to be so I can't really blame DDS.

I put in a Tough One axle from Advance and maybe after 500 miles I start hearing a binding noise on hard lefts.. It sounded like it was coming from the trans, not either axle. Of course it got worse and started happeneing on most lefts. I can only assume that the post I made in this thread a year ago has something to do with it. (see scoring inside the diff)

The problem is, after I got the diff bearings sorted out in the spare trans, I didn't do anything with it till this past weekend. I have the FSM but lost all the detailed pics I took of it coming apart. From the FSM, the 3 pics or so I have, and deduction, I was able to get the trans together, shift through all the gears, and put an axle in to check diff drag. All seems good.

The spare trans goes in tomorrow. I'm going to swap the Tough One center bearing onto the DSS axle, and buy a new API driver's side axle considering I got a year out of the current w/out issue. I would reuse the API but I know it'll have scoring.

The plan is to only keep this car for another year or so but I definitely want to get some better track #s out if it before then.

02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
83 Yamaha IT175K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:51 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi 1999 SLE
You're getting rid of the i30 in a year?

68 Chevy C-10 - Free truck! Needs parts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next