It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 95 LeSabre Custom
01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
As mentioned in my other big post, The LeSabre & Bonneville Project, I have another older vehicle that is going to require some work: a 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon. Here's some pics (these are a few years old, but the car looks the same):

A little history:
My parents bought this car new back in 1984, I believe right before my brother was born. They didn't have much at the time, but they were planning ahead with the purchase. When my brother and I became old enough, the Caprice became the family vacation car. This car has been up and down the East Coast, through the Plains states, and a single trip out West.

Once my brother and I were both in college, this car stopped becoming the vacation vehicle (as the family really stopped going on vacation), and my dad used it a lot for work (it was great for hauling lots of computer equipment). After they got a 2004 Buick Rainier CXL in 2004, my dad started using that for work, and we parked the Caprice. Well, years later, after my dad passed away, the car was signed over to me. And, this is where we are at today.

This car is actually still in mostly good shape (especially the interior) and has only very minor rust (my dad had this car Ziebarted every 6 months since the day of purchase for around 18 years). It still runs great (engine could probably use a good cleaning). The only things it really needs are:

- Tires, springs, shocks, a battery (these are needed to make it road worthy again), a replacement driver mirror, a windshield with radio antenna (original was smashed by some punk high school kids), reattachment of the exterior trim on the driver's side (this side had some rust repair, as seen in the pics), new headliner, and a new coat of paint and clear.

Once I get those things replaced, the things I want to do to it are:

- Put in upgraded speakers, replace the shaft style cassette tape head unit with a hide away shaft style CD player (if I can find the right one), get the interior analog clock working again (I think it has it's own separate battery), and reinstall a factory exhaust, with a polished tip (my dad, for some reason, had dual Flowmasters installed about 13 years ago).

This car is actually in better shape than my Buick, but I'll probably get to it after I get my Buick back on the road. I'd get some interior pictures, but it is currently the storage for a lot of the interior parts from my Bonneville. And just like my other post, I'll update this one as I make progress with this car.

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2005 Bonneville GXP: 101K Miles | Custom FWI
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit
1984 Caprice Classic Wagon: 86K Miles | Restoration Project

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:54 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
OMG!! Blast from the past for this guy. We had two or three of this body style growing up. I think one of them was an 86-90 though.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 73k; Wife's hot rod & highway ride.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..
2004 Bonneville SLE 201k, Pearl White (Old man's ride)

Last edited by vogie01 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 96 olds cutlass supreme 4 door
my buddy had one, he wrapped the front end around a tree at about 70mph that it took the nose of that car and made it completely vertical, great project you got there bud, good luck :poke:

why in the the world do you have or need Vaseline in your trunk??!!..well Leather cleans easy..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:21 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Thanks guys!! Ha, there will be no tree wrapping with this one. Once I get this all fixed it, it will be babied. Too many memories with this car to let something happen to it.

In the last few years we have had a lot of people asking if it was for sale (no for sale sign posted anywhere on our property). One guy showed up at our door with a flatbed saying that he will take it off our hands. My mom told him to get off our property while she was in the process of dialing the number for the police. He left quickly and never came back.

Not many of these left around our area (especially in this condition), because too many of them ended in demolition derbies. That will not be happening with this one.

& Exterior | 20% Tint | PA Grill & Portholes | Limited Trim | GTP Rims | Ported LIM | Plus Many More Mods | Restoration Thread
2001 Bonneville SSEi: 225K Miles | Instense FWI | Intense MPS (3.4") | 180 T-stat | ZZP Plog | Ported Rear Manifold |
ZZP 3" Downpipe | Magnaflow Cat | Retrofitted HIDs | GenV M90 | GXP Brake Upgrade | 35% Tint | Plus Many More Mods |
2009 G8 GT: 89K Miles | 35% Tint | Roto-Fab CAI | SOLO Mach Exhaust | BMR Tunnel Brace | BMR Sub Frames | BMR STB |
Kooks Headers | QTP Electric Cutouts | BMR Sway Bars | Elite Engineering Catch Can | Innovative Dual Wideband Kit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:17 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SE
1997 Pontiac Firebird
Nice shape. My dad drove one of these about ten years ago when he worked at Amnicon state park but it was an 88 in nice shape with a 305, not bad gas mileage either. He said his pride diminished every day he drove it. haha. I don't mind them too much, good haulers.

1997 Pontiac Firebird - DD - 3800 Series II, Cold air intake/FWI, Y87 Package, Sony DSX-S100 Digital Media Reciever, 180,000 miles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 5x former 3800 Buick/Olds owner
Brings back memories here too. Mom and Dad had an '84 Delta 88 Royale Brougham way back when. It was white with gray interior, gray vinyl top, 307. It was like a La-Z-Boy on wheels. Pillowy ride, pillowy seats. Handling was, shall we say...buoyant, lol. And it had what had to have been the world's coldest A/C.

Any yes, sometimes I wonder in another 10-20 years when people start actively restoring these, how many will be left after the demo derbies have their way. Same goes with the 80's RWD Cutlass Supreme coupes and stock car racing.

2010 Chrysler 300 Touring Signature Series, Cool Vanilla - chrome 18's, MyGig touchsreen, all the toys.
2004 Chevy Avalanche LT 4x4, WBH, Arrival Blue Metallic - CAI, MBRP cat-back exhaust, lots of mods and all the options.
2004 Ford Mustang Premium convertible, Screaming Yellow - 18" staggered Bullitt wheels, 1.5" drop Eibach springs, CAI.
1973 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Brougham, Antigua Blue - 23 ft, 5200 lbs, and 472 cubes of luxo-barge goodness.
1998 Chevy Corvette convertible, Light Carmine Red Metallic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Im working on fixing up my grandpas 87 with an olds 307. I need to find doors and rear quarter panels for it.

1992 Buick Regal Limited Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:20 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Yeah, this one has the Chevy 305 - it may not be a fast engine, but it definitely is a work horse. It'll be great to drive it around again, boat feel and all (but then again, I love big cars).

Found out today that it does need a replacement brake line, so that'll get added to list of repairs.

I'll post some interior and engine pics tomorrow when I get a chance.

It's good to know people have good memories of their or families cars, and that some are getting cared for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:29 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

01 Bonneville SSEi
09 G8 GT
Picture time!

Interior shots:

All that stuff piled up are interior parts from my Bonneville, so just ignore that mess for now:

This door needs a little work - both handle reattachment and mirror reattachment/replacement:

The aftermarket Blaupunkt cassette deck my dad installed:

I love that analog dash clock - gives it a classic feel:

The seats are still in excellent condition:

The rear headliner (the front is sagging a bit too). Not a difficult replacement (will just be hard matching the color):

This will all get vacuumed out when the time comes:

Levers, dash, and wheel are still good:

The back plastic is a bit scratched (wear and tear from me and my brother when we were younger and my dad hauling things):

More scratches, plus showing the rear gate still opens (and folds down, not pictured):

The engine:

The 305, not powerful, but got us where we needed to go:

Needs a little cleaning and sprucing:

The R-12 system (which blew SUPER cold air) was converted to R-134A, and the first time around, it was a botched job (imagine it failing on a vacation, 8 hours from home, in 95+ heat - that wasn't fun, especially since it used to blow out cold air). I believed it was fixed, and if I recall, the A/C still works (probably needs recharged at this point.

One last one:

Yep, all original 86,862 miles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1999 SLE
Very nice! I think you will find the interior clock shares the fuse with the cig lighter/power outlet. Its powered from the car. What would always happen in the family 78 LEsabre, coins would fall into the socket, blow the fuse and take out the clock and dome lights also.

Glad you arent trashing it!

1999 SLE 70k Stock for now
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/593472

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:11 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1992 SSEi
Yep, you can't beat R-12 unfortunately!

Looks great. I love full-size American cars of this era.