It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
Any tips for putting this back together? Went to replace a fuel pressure regulator, and it turned out to be a little more work, and additional issues. The entire fuel rail had to come off to get to the torque screw, but in doing so I noticed one of the injectors was leaking and turned out to be bent.

I have to get a new injector on Monday morning, but I was playing with the fuel rail and trying to figure the best way to reassemble it. I could install the injectors into the engine first, then mount the rail on after. The other way would be to assemble the entire rail with the injectors in it, and trying to get the fuel rail set into the engine.

Does anyone have an experience on this motor or know which would be the best way? I was having some issues getting the injector to fit into the rail with new o-rings, the Fel-pro ones. I did not want to lube them up in case I would contaminate the injector or something similar.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 73k; Wife's hot rod & highway ride.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..
2004 Bonneville SLE 201k, Pearl White (Old man's ride)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 97.2 40th SLE
68 w/400
94 SSEi
I can't say for that particular engine but on the Bonneville I found it easier/more convenient to have injectors in the rail then pop it on.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT-191k
2005 Escalade 253k-GINA

nos4blood70 wrote:
Literally, cars are drugs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
On the Bonne you have to put the injectors in first, as it's impossible to get the clips in while on the engine. Generally it's easier this way, and the retaining clips set the depth.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Also, put some new motor oil onto the injector O-rings. That'll help them set more easily.

I'd assemble the rail along with the injectors, then slap the whole shebang into the motor. Have you checked the repository of everything Cavalier at jbody.org?

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
I agree to definitely lube the O-rings. Not doing so will make installation dang near impossible and will likely will result in a ripped or twisted O-ring resulting in either a fuel or vacuum leak.

Not to sure though as to injectors in rail or engine in first, but I would think it likely has clips on the injectors like the Bonnevilles do, so I would try to put them in the rail first and install the clips on them then insert it carefully into the engine.

One question though.... I am really curious as to how an injector can be bent?

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

:stupid:

I'm not sure either. They're plastic, so I would think it would crack? Unless it got so hot it warped or something, which leads me to ask how/why it would've gotten that hot....

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

It does have the clips like on our Bonneville, but they can be put back in easily after the rail has been reinstalled which is why I was at a loss.

You would think it would crack since it is mostly plastic, but the inside is a metal tube. The bottom part of the injector that goes into the engine has a 10 degree bend in it, so it is not straight which is where it is leaking fuel. I will post a picture in the morning for you to see. I was pretty amazed by it myself. I have no idea how it happened.

The car is my fiance's best friend's car, and from what I was told her idiot boyfriend tried to replace the FPR to no avail, so she literally begged me to do it for her. When I started out, I noticed the fuel rail is missing at least one bolt, so who knows what he did. I had to let her take my Bonneville when I noticed the injector was bad, and now I have to take Amber to work in the morning, get to a JY, and juggle the contractors I have coming out it the morning. I am excited.

2009 Ford Flex 63K[/u] My DD & super utilitarian vehicle that we call the White Bus.
SOLD: 2002 Bonneville SLE; 230K, Mods: Solid hockey puck front mount, Intense FWI intake, 180 degree thermostat, Magna Flow high-flow cat, ZZP O2 emulator: Nothing major but maintenance and what it takes to keep the dash lights off and the mileage up..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Here is a picture the said fuel injector. I noticed today that the injector next to this one is leaking too, so I am thinking it would be easier to by an entire assembly at the JY rather than try to piece is all back together.

Thoughts? Anyone know how to disconnect the fuel rail? Here is a picture on that connection.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

You need a tool like these:

I bought a set at NAPA for $12, even with the little plastic holder pictured.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:07 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Got it done earlier today. Ended up finding a single injector from a yard. Replaced all the o-rings that go into the block, using a tiny amount of oil to get them to set. I assembled the entire rail, and set it into the head. I got some new fuel rail bolts. It runs a lot better, and I am glad to have it gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:33 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Bonneville SSEi
Glad you got it worked out. For future reference for yourself and others who stumble across this thread, when lubricating o-rings (particularly inj o-rings) try to avoid petroleum based lube and use a water soluble lube such as KY. I know that everyone has done it, mechanics included, and will likely continue to do so but that certainly doesn't make the practice any better for o-ring longevity. :)

Think autism. Think cure.