It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 05 Bonnie GXP
Junkyard motor put in, no help from GM; they were useless actually. New engine leaked oil like a colander............done! In the shop 5 out of 6 weeks. Bonnie is gone, traded in........hated to see her go, but was unreliable. Bought the Wife a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali. RIP Bonnie......................

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
I mean, it's a 3800. *fook* if I've got three of them with over 300k miles on them, two of which are now turbocharged. Unreliable? No. You just got shafted by the fact that a 20 year old junkyard motor needed gaskets, and you were too lazy to realize that a 20 year old motor might need gaskets, to not leak oil... Your first mistake was taking it to a dealer, your second mistake was letting a dealer work on it... Downstream mistakes - not fixing an oil leak, which apparently means everything needs to go to a junkyard? And then you replace it with an Acadia, which is known for unreliability via timing chain, which is far worse than an oil leak because of gaskets or something else 3800.. But hey, maybe they fixed the timing chain issues for the 2017 model year. I guess that's what we call anecdotal evidence :dontknow: .

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Uhh, why would GM help? How exactly did they "seize the motor"?

If you came in to our dealership, I'd have given you similar options;

- Junk yard motor
- Rebuilt motor
- Motor of your own sourcing

And rest assured, they'd be all on your dime, not GM's! It is a nearly 13 year old car, actually probably over 13 years old based on the "in-service date" most likely.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:24 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
MattStrike wrote:
I mean, it's a 3800. *fook* if I've got three of them with over 300k miles on them, two of which are now turbocharged. Unreliable? No. You just got shafted by the fact that a 20 year old junkyard motor needed gaskets, and you were too lazy to realize that a 20 year old motor might need gaskets, to not leak oil... Your first mistake was taking it to a dealer, your second mistake was letting a dealer work on it... Downstream mistakes - not fixing an oil leak, which apparently means everything needs to go to a junkyard? And then you replace it with an Acadia, which is known for unreliability via timing chain, which is far worse than an oil leak because of gaskets or something else 3800.. But hey, maybe they fixed the timing chain issues for the 2017 model year. I guess that's what we call anecdotal evidence :dontknow: .

Matt, his profile says 05 GXP.

Yeah, GM wouldn't be any help. On a car that old the only reason to take it to the dealer over any other shop is that the techs see more GM products than others, and have access to GM data about the car. Besides that, it's just another mechanic shop. GM washed its hands of your car when the powertrain warranty expired 8 years ago...

How did the dealer ruin your engine?? That's my question. If they pumped the wrong oil, under filled it, or some other mistake, you may have had recourse. Of course, trading it (probably got $500? for it?) for the new Acadia, in their mind, probably absolved them of any problems.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:42 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Any oil within the OEM spec range of 5W-30, such as 5W-20 or a 10W-30 wouldn't seize an engine. Even going a thick oil like a 20W-50 wouldn't be ideal, but still most likely wouldn't seize an engine... Just very high oil pressure... As long as it can get picked up by the sump and splashed around by the crank journals/counterweights, a seized engine isn't happening.

I think that there is more backstory than is being posted here...

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
00Beast wrote:
Matt, his profile says 05 GXP.

lol, oops.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
moral of the thread:

check oil level regularly by dipstick and watch for leaks on pavement when you park.
if its more than half litre a month /1000klm make repair a priority or forever add oil for the next 7+ years...lol

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:38 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Dealerships are a private business, no different (in this case) from any other service facility. GM would have no obligation at all, however if the technician was at fault, it's reasonable that the owner should be "made whole" by the dealer. Did the dealer not fill it with oil before starting it? Did they use the wrong filter and all the oil spewed out before they realized? The fact that the dealer did install a used engine suggests they accepted responsibility, but this is where it can get messy. Had it been my car (just because of the condition it's in), I would have settled on a monetary value and paid the difference to get a properly rebuilt engine installed. You just don't know what you're getting with a used engine, but it seems the dealer made a reasonable effort to make this right. They can't control what they get from a wrecker either.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation