PontiacBonnevilleClub.com
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/

Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/general-chat/topic52737.html
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ErikZR1 [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

I’m thinking of digging up a 92-93 Olds Touring Sedan with the Series 1 L67. Was just curious how they are aging now. Are parts available for them? Have there been any age related issues coming up that are making them undrivable? I’d appreciate your thoughts!

Author:  95naSTA [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

I would think random body and interior bits would be your biggest issue at this point, assuming a rust free car.

Author:  ErikZR1 [ Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

95naSTA wrote:
I would think random body and interior bits would be your biggest issue at this point, assuming a rust free car.


That isn’t discouraging! My plan is to find as nice a Touring Sedan as there is in existence. Likely a rust free, southern car. It’s only gonna be a weekend toy anyway. Just seeing the problems the C5 guys are starting to run into with failing, unobtanium electronic parts, make me leery of 90s electronics.

Author:  MattStrike [ Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

Electronics and almost everything interior is a safe bet you're going to have that issue with any 90's car. A good way to check is to see if RockAuto has parts available.

For the most part the C and H body cars have the major parts available still. If the touring sedan had a stiffer suspension or something like CCR shock/struts then you're not going to find them anymore.

Author:  ErikZR1 [ Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

MattStrike wrote:
Electronics and almost everything interior is a safe bet you're going to have that issue with any 90's car. A good way to check is to see if RockAuto has parts available.

For the most part the C and H body cars have the major parts available still. If the touring sedan had a stiffer suspension or something like CCR shock/struts then you're not going to find them anymore.


The Touring Sedan is basically Oldsmobiles SSEi. So all the mechanical stuff should transition over easily. Easily, in the there were a lot more SSEi’s built then Touring Sedans. The touring sedan did get the higher level interior, with better materials, special Lear Siegler made seats, real burl walnut, etc. Kinda Oldsmobiles Jaguar.

Author:  95naSTA [ Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

The one nice thing about 90s cars is no CAN Bus stuff, BCMs that need programming, etc. Current draws and other issues are easier to diag.

At this point the better the metal on the car you get is, the more the interior/exterior plastics/rubber got baked and dried out from either the sun or just time. You would be surprised how much of that stuff there is and will be NLA. I mean, the 90s was probably the peak of GM using plastics in interiors. It sounds like an Olds touring will be even more of a pain than a Bonneville too.

Just 2 of many examples..
Need to do a headliner? You'll be lucky not to damage it on the way out, you'll break a couple of the grab handles, the A&C pillar clips will break and the sun visor or dome plastics might not make it.
Need to repaint the car? Good luck finding all the clips, drip trim and misc. bits.

I'm obviously dealing with this stuff but I've accumulated a a small arsenal of spare parts over the years.

Author:  ErikZR1 [ Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Running a Series 1 L67 in 2020? Parts? Issues?

95naSTA wrote:
The one nice thing about 90s cars is no CAN Bus stuff, BCMs that need programming, etc. Current draws and other issues are easier to diag.

At this point the better the metal on the car you get is, the more the interior/exterior plastics/rubber got baked and dried out from either the sun or just time. You would be surprised how much of that stuff there is and will be NLA. I mean, the 90s was probably the peak of GM using plastics in interiors. It sounds like an Olds touring will be even more of a pain than a Bonneville too.

Just 2 of many examples..
Need to do a headliner? You'll be lucky not to damage it on the way out, you'll break a couple of the grab handles, the A&C pillar clips will break and the sun visor or dome plastics might not make it.
Need to repaint the car? Good luck finding all the clips, drip trim and misc. bits.

I'm obviously dealing with this stuff but I've accumulated a a small arsenal of spare parts over the years.


Definitely all of those things are a pain, but they are things that can be worked around. A dead, unobtanium ECM, for instance, could turn a 90s car into a lawn ornament in a hurry. That’s the kinda stuff I’m worried about first.

Point well taken on what southern cars do to rubber and pieces. I suppose what I want is a garage kept, northern car, that was parked every winter. Shouldn’t be too hard to find. :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/