It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:17 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
So, I'm making it official. On Tuesday I head to the DMV to pay for and title the 2000 SLE I've been eyeing for 2 weeks. I'll have lots to talk about, ask about, comment about, and lots and lots of pictures to share. Some might question my motives for picking this car, but all I can see is upside and potential in this diamond in the rough. I'm rarely one to be fearful of digging into a project, and a project this will be.

I learned a ton about GM cars while wrenching on my 98 Astro for the last 5 years. I finally gave up after the motor ate a bearing and turned my oil into sparkly black metallic paint. I sold her for $600 to a member of the Astro/Safari forum I still frequent. I gave up on owning the van because I don't need the space, I don't need the 14.5 mpg it averaged ( Had a 5.7 transplant ), and I've wanted a Bonneville since about 1998...the funny thing is, I hated the 96-98 Astro Van when I first saw them...mostly because of the big humpy dashboard. I loved the look of the SSEi in 98, and really fell in love again with the Bonneville when they redesigned it in 2000. I wasn't going to settle for anything less than an SLE though. This car is rough, but the body and frame is as rust free as you could hope for out of a MN ride with 178k on it. The fuel door is still clean ( though I haven't peered behind it yet to see what has started. I will be putting a major effort into protection from rust and rust mediation so that this car is in at least as good of shape in 5 years from now as it is today.

I really wanted a black or red SSEi and there was a nice red one for sale for cheap, but not cheap enough. It had the split 3 spoke rims with the gear pattern centercap...I really like the look of those rims. I can't complain though, I do like the snowflake style rims that come with my car. I need to figure out googles image hosting program since they left Picasa so I can get more pics up here, because there will be plenty.

First things first...I need to get it home, and that's going to be an hour drive on a car hauler. Going to call my insurance guy tomorrow and make sure it's covered in case of something stupid, plus anything that I need to have for the title process.

Also, $150 for a battery! Wow, I mean, I get that it's a sealed battery and it's a large group 78, but I wasn't expecting $150 at Walmart. Time to shop around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
I put the 100 bone wm one i my 2000 ad its great - not the vented one but I have not had issues and its been installed for 3 years

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Car is here...photo gallery to commence as soon as I get them uploaded.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:17 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

She's ready to come home!Image
Threw my home made Ozone generator in it for an hour to kill off any nasty things...
...Because them seats is nasty!
Seats are out, ready to be cleaned
A little compressed air, some vinegar and water and then a good massaging with a detail brush and lathering up some leather cleaner and what a world of difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:23 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

The carpet is definitely coming out...
The center console needs to be cleaned...I can just imagine what is underneath it.
The trunk had 3 inches of water in it, so I loosened up the patch seal and popped the drain up to allow the water to drain. Looks like I escaped any serious rusting..especially for a car that had sat unused for so long. The spare is junk (donut ).
But the car came with a full sized matching rim and tire!

Overall, everything that I'm running into has become less of a problem and more simplistic than I had worked myself up to. However, I haven't gotten to the engine and transmission yet. I'm going to keep the car irregardless of what happens with the engine and transmission since it's so clean overall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I call it "MN rust free"
All the windows have this problem, which is solvable...
But did you expect a 400 dollar Bonneville with 180k on it to have this?
No, that's not a repaired quarter panel. That's a rust free original. You better bet your bacon that is going to be made to not rust in the future!

This is what I mean by "MN rust free"
If you have to settle for rust, this is pretty much the worst spot on the entire car that I've encountered so far. I'm really not going to complain.

I'm keeping the plates though. They'll be a good reminder as to where my Bonne was headed. My diamond in the rough.

Day one is complete. I have to work on Saturday and have a family function after that, so work on the Bonneville will commence on Sunday and Monday. I plan to have the carpet and headliner out and the sunroof drains reattached/secured by then at the very least.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:53 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Score! Picked up a decent SSEi front bumper. Needs a little bit of work around the fog lights, but that's easy to fix and the bumper needs to be paint matched to the car anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
Don't know what issues it has besides water leaks but it looks pretty nice.
Seems like a fun, relaxing project--leading up to having a nice ride.
I take it you're already familiar with this extremely helpful post, but just in case...
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Looks a little rough, but definitely worth saving. Still some life left in it! Looks like you've been making nice progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Yeah, it's going to be a labor of love for a while. I've almost COMPLETELY gutted the interior at this point because I realized that the front sunroof drain tubes HAD to be leaking. My assumptions based on the inclusion of zip ties on the drains at the sunroof in the process of trying to fix a water leak were confirmed after pulling it all apart and finding both tubes separated. Stupid that GM figured a simple press on fitting would hold up over time. They should have been zip tied at the factory. Well, mine are zip tied and gorilla taped, and blown out with compressed air. No chances of interior leaks now. I dumped a bucket of water on the roof and the floor is dry...though the top edge of my window is leaking...grrr. Gotta find out how much it'll cost of a remove and reseal of the windshield. Carpets dried out nicely, saved some cash there. Damaged a connector though, so I have to fix that before I can reassemble the dash. My fault, we pulled too hard on the instrument panel support ( the aluminum casting ) and the wire had hooked on the interior seat support. I'm disappointed that I didn't catch it before it got damaged.. I think it's the wiring for the information center, so it's just a matter of repairing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
if thats the only rust spot id still check this out just in case specially with that spot since theres alot of hidden spots. also if you can check under the front splash sheilds and make sure its intact there exterior/topic47749.html

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:13 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Well, it's MN rust, so there's rust everywhere to some degree. The cancer is currently at stage 1, so it's still treatable.

In other news...I pulled the dash and popped the drain tubes back along with some gorilla tape and zip ties. As long as I don't blow compressed air into them ( after I blew compressed air into the lower hose to make sure they were clear ), I don't think they are coming apart again. I need to calibrate the sunroof, reupholster the shade, reupholster the headliner and the interior can go back in. I need to get the windshield resealed as it's leaking right in the middle, and I don't need that ruining my new headliner...I think a faulty headliner should be on the list of things to consider when buying....if it has a sunroof and a bad headliner, the sun roof leaks, and if the front edge of the headliner is loose, the windshield leaks...at least that was the case with my car.

I got it back together to the point of needing to reinstall the dash pad and gauge panel trim. Once the headliner is in, the rest goes back together and I can concentrate on the drivetrain. Of course, we are under a thunderstorm alert tonight, so I'll see how well my sunroof holds up in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:42 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

The interior was pretty filthy as well.

Pulled the headliner since it was sagging in the front and back.
And the fabric on my shade was toast as well.
Hancock fabrics is closing a store near my work, so I stopped by and got lucky to find the original Doeskin color headliner material and the darker desert tan. I chose the Desert Tan because it matches the seats better.
The plastics are lighter, but that doesn't bother me at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:54 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Every time I'd use the sunroof ( turn the key on ) I'd start to smell gasoline, so I finally stuck my head under the car where the wet spot was and had the kid turn the key on...There's a cut on the return line to the tank about 6 inches away from the connection. So, I'll be purchasing a repair kit for that, or seeing if I can yank one off a donor car easily enough ( probably not )

I also smell fuel at the engine, and it seemed to be around the fuel rail and injectors. I haven't confirmed the fuel rail, but I did discover that the schrader valve is leaking. I may just buy a used fuel rail and injectors from a local guy near me that wants 30 bucks for it...considering a factory fuel rail is $425, I think it's a steal. I have to pull the intake off anyway, so it's not that much of a hardship to have to do it.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the headliner repair. In short, I ripped off the fabric, dusted off the dry foam with a stiff brush, and then for the stuff that was still in decent shape, I sanded it off with a palm sander and a 80/100 grit disc. I had a couple of minor oppsies on some corners, so I laid off on those with the sander and used a piece of 50 grit by hand. I had started off with a piece of 16 grit to knock the foam off, and it worked really well, but I didn't want to damage the headliner by accident and because the grit is so coarse, I wasn't catching broad enough areas cleanly. I used headliner spray from Autozone and didn't use the 3M stuff, I used the $12/can version and bought 2 cans. The first can I just slathered all over the headliner board. The second can I spritzed a coating all over the headliner foam and had my son help me drape it onto the headliner board. We bowed the material so that it touched the center first and then carefully laid it down and started working the divots around the grab handles. Perfect? No, but it's perfect enough for me. I won't spend that much time looking up anyway. A couple of wrinkles in the fabric were the biggest issue that I couldn't resolve..again, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not driving a show car.

Headliner replacement though? I'd recommend doing it if you have the aptitude to remove it. I need a couple of rear speakers, then I can finish installing the interior. For now though, I get to focus on the motor and transmission. Both need oil and filters and a little love. The engine gets new valve cover gaskets and I need to find a steam cleaner so I can make that engine bay sparkle like new again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Great work! The car is really looking good. - BC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:41 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Well, we had a pretty good rainstorm last night...north of us was so bad it destroyed crops...no leaks in the Bonneville. Seats, dash and floor mats dry, no humidity in the air.

Did a quick compression test on it, all the cylinders are withing a few PSI of each other and the Leak down test I did just showed blow by past the rings, which is what I would hope for. I'm replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets since the original gaskets are still in there and I have the time to do it. Found 3 distinct fuel leaks. The quick disconnect on the backside of the fuel rail, the schrader valve and a cut in the return line by the fuel filter. I will have to address those before I do anything else ( or run the motor ). Talked to the Previous Owner ( PO ) and got 2 extra keys and was told they had replaced the fuel pump already, so that's nice to know. The wife thinks I keep telling her about all the things wrong with it, but I'm telling her all the good news that I find as I go along. Everything has been easy to fix or inexpensive. Nothing major and I'm finding things that are wrong with it quickly and have solutions right away. No fumbling around trying to solve problems...this is a major life change for me automotively. I'm hoping the trend continues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:29 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
sounds like its turning out pretty decent! glad all the fixes have been pretty easy to fix too

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Keep up the good work, I love turnaround projects like this!

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Coolant pressure tester came back positive. Held exactly 16psi for about 2 hours, didn't lose a fraction of the needle. I'm still replacing the lower intake gaskets since I have the kit and the time and I want to get that nasty Dexcool out of the system ASAP. I'm unfamiliar with the quick disconnect fuel lines on the fuel rail. I can get them loose, but is there a serviceable o ring that I can change?

Also, how do they think they can charge Upwards of 30 bucks for the fuel pressure relief port valve and the cap?! I can buy 10 of them for 17 bucks! I can't justify buying 10 for 17 bucks, I'll pull a few out of the JY and I'm sure to find one that doesn't leak...but wowie! A viton seal and the price inflation just goes nuts?!

I ordered a Dorman 800-191 to fix the nylon return line from Ebay for about 15 bucks, which works on the same principle as modern water line plumbing. All I have to do is cut out the section of the line that has the slice in it and plug both ends into it...fixed. Beats trying to heat up the lines and install a union with barbs on a line leaking gasoline. I'll try this first and if it doesn't work, I'll probably see about replacing the entire line with a JY replacement. Once I get the LIM gaskets and the fuel lines leak free, I'm throwing in some iridium plugs and synthetic oil and get to testing all systems for reliability. Once I get to that point, then I get to concentrate on the fun things like the stereo, and getting the front bumper cover replaced. I have a few ideas for mods that I'd like to do, but that's down the line. First things first...get it running and washed/detailed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:19 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
All quick disconnects have O-rings. The ones I'm familiar with are the style near the cut line you pictured. There is a plastic ring inside that snaps in and holds the O-rings. The first O-ring IIRC is HNBR to seal atmosphere from the inner O-ring which is Viton. There is also a spacer between the O-rings. I think I listed the sizes of them somewhere as well. You have to make a thin, flat, curved tool to dig the plastic retainer out without breaking it. I used something from harbor freight that came in a pack of dental style picks, it was a thin flat pick end about 1/4" wide, a slightly radius end, and maybe 7/8" long. I put it in the vice, heated it until it was non-magnetic, and used the BFH to bent the last 1/8" 90 degrees, heat back up to non-magnetic and then quench in used motor oil. I'll have to take a picture of it.

Also, I've been advocating the dorman 800-191 and 800-192 since I fixed my SSEi, love those things!

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type