It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
do Old Bonnevilles Never Die in the Hearts of Their Owners?

or

do Old Bonnevilles Die in the Crusher?

or

do Old Bonnevilles just Ride Off Into the Night?

or

do Old Bonnevilles just get Parted Out?

or

do they ? ? ?

What do you think? - BC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:17 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
No matter what happens, they live on in the hearts of all that they have touched. When they fall or move on, it's a sad day for those who have been touched by them, but they are never forgotten.

The feeling is real, and it's something I struggle with pretty regularly.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
And yes, it may just be another old car, but the 3800 is a heart of gold, with the body to back it up. It may not be the biggest or best looker, but it keeps going until it dies, and when it dies, there is no question in your heart that it is dead, and it has done many hundreds of thousands of miles in the process. That is a true friend, that lays it all on the line, and keeps coming back for more every time.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:14 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1992 SSEi
It's a classic in my eyes.

Only a matter of time before it receives wider recognition. Ok, that may be some time, but it will eventually. The '87s are knocking on 30 years old and the '92s are nearly 25.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:32 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1993 Bonneville SE
Ugh, this particularly strikes me.. I'll be picking up my new title on Wednesday for a Benz e350 and it'll be the first time I could say that the Bonneville is no longer my primary vehicle.

Unfortunately, I'll be looking to get rid of my ol' gal for lack of excess parking in my neighborhood. It really is a shame. At 23 years old, it runs better than it has since I've owned it. Not a single CEL, chime, squeak, groan... nothing except for the occasional oil drip on the driveway. That being said, the Mercedes is too good a car to pass up, and I still feel like the Bonneville is too good a car to get rid of :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
You own (actually, if you take car of the car, it owns you) a car 24 years and a couple of months, it feels like it becomes a good friend. The only time the '92 SSE ever left us stranded was when the type I ignition would fail. That stopped when I installed the new type II ignition from olblueeyesbonne. - BC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:09 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
bad.moshi wrote:
Ugh, this particularly strikes me.. I'll be picking up my new title on Wednesday for a Benz e350 and it'll be the first time I could say that the Bonneville is no longer my primary vehicle.
That resonates with me. After my wife totaled my `99 Bonneville 3 months ago and I replaced it with a Benz S500, it was the first time I hadn't owned a Pontiac in my entire life. My Bonneville gave me 16 years of feeling like I was driving a brand new car every day. I always felt safe in it, and it was a great family car, hauling my kids around and taking us on family vacations in the days before we got a minivan. It was generally easy to maintain and easy to wrench on for anything I wanted to tackle on my own.

I've felt that the Benz has been a nice choice for following my Bonneville with respect to luxury and performance. I will always miss my Bonneville. That sure-fire ignition "turn the key and VROOM" was always reassuring. Mine went to a salvage yard where it will be an organ-donor to keep some of the surviving Bonnevilles going, and that seems fitting.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 SLE
RJolly87 wrote:
And yes, it may just be another old car, but the 3800 is a heart of gold, with the body to back it up. It may not be the biggest or best looker, but it keeps going until it dies, and when it dies, there is no question in your heart that it is dead, and it has done many hundreds of thousands of miles in the process. That is a true friend, that lays it all on the line, and keeps coming back for more every time.

Look what you did. I am all choked up now. You definitely touched a place in me that only a Bonneville lover can. My '98 is my buddy, and the thought of giving him up kills me. I've had him for 14 years now--going on 99,000 miles--and he is definitely a member of the family to me. I know how crazy this sounds to other people, but this is the car that I enjoy driving the most--especially on the highway. (Remember that I also have a 2010 Charger, a 1982 Vette and a 2004 GMC Canyon.) So, he is definitely not just another old car.

Stalling once in a while now, even with a full tank of gas, so I have to bring him to the mechanic ASAP. I don't want to get stuck because if I do he will be promptly hauled off to "the boneyard" as hubby says. I really want to keep my Bonnie going, no matter what "the boss" says! (I wish I had the money to fully restore and paint him....)

Cat =^..^=

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
I loved these cars when I was in middle school. My dad had a gxp that I started to learn to drive on. Never broke down (till my dad hit a curb). Had 2 lesabers and 2 bonnevilles the grand prix gxp then his current baby which is a 2010 camaro and a 2000 lesaber as a winter. These cars have been in my past and I wish in my future. If it was my option I'd keep it even after it dies

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still