It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:00 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
I'm working on dissassembling and cleaning lifters for the 88's engine and i the process I have managed to lose a small spring for one of them.

third from left

So I went to the shed and dug out a couple of SII L67 lifters thinking I could rob a spring from that. What I found was that they are EXACTLY the same......except that one spring.

here are the differences, on the left is the LN# lifter on the right is the L67 lifter spring. the LN3 has a smaller diameter wire and more coils in it.

So I did a simple test to demonstrate the difference in compression K ratings (resistance to being squished) using this screwdriver and letting it rest on the spring. Again left is LN3 right is L67

As you can see the weaker LN3 spring is fully compressed and the L67 barely moved. My original plan was to take the L67 spring and put it in the LN3 lifter, however I fear there might be oiling problems that way. If the one lifter has the stiffer spring that whole lifter, pushrod/rocker assembly would have less flow. I was already having a problem with oil reaching up to the rockers I believe and the seats they pivot on have some decent gouges in and will probably need replaced.

So my main question is in everyones opinion would there be a problem with putting the L67 lifters in as long as they are all in good shape. Also what could be done to increase my oil pressure? I believe my main bearings are within spec but I will check before I put it back in. I had thought about the INTENSE oil pressure kit which I believe has the same size plunges and spring as my LN3 but just a stiffer spring to increase pressure. anyone know for sure?

All help/suggestions appreciated and any advice on "upgrades" welcome such as HR rockers and such.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
Well the stiffer spring will result in less compression as you have shown and what is causing the compression of the lifter in the engine is the force of the camshaft pushing up the lifter opposed by the stiffness of the valve spring. Your '88 likely has valve springs that are not as stiff as the L67 hence if you use the lifter designed for the L67 you may reduce the oiling as the lifter will not compress enough. If you can't find the spring, then it may be better just to replace the lifter with the correct spec one.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
If the Intense oil pressure kit doesn't fit, you can add a small washer at the base of the stock spring to bump the pressure up a bit.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:03 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
Is this the itty bitty spring on the check ball? Because all that does is make sure the check ball valve closes.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
Bob: I believe the valve springs are actually stiffer than l67 if not the same. I have one large spring the same diameter and coils and there is a second smaller spring inside, I don't see that being a problem.

J: good to know if it doesn't work out, thanks.

Matt: yes it is the itty bitty spring, you don't think a single lifter with the different spring would disrupt flow, I think it would dake more pressure to open it.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.