It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firehawk Wideoval AS?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:08 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
Since it's time to get the GXP some new treads it currently have BF goodrich kdws which i have had 3 years now that was on the car when i bought it. Those are about the best tire i have ever had, but i want something different this time around. I found these

Firehawk Wideoval AS from firestone ($730 Installed + Free alignment CHECK) and even though they have been around for a couple of years i have found that the tread has changed from the years past... There is a few reviews on them and from what i have seen and read they are pretty much some nice decent all around tire! My question is have anyone here had these before and if so what did you think about them? or even have you heard anyone talking about them was it good or bad!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:25 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
How much snow and cold temperatures (< 45 F) will you be seeing? If none, there is a summer tire variant (the Wide Oval Indy 500). Good sticky summer rubber appropriate for a GXP (though maybe not stiffer, more sporting vehicles). Pretty happy with my set. They also happen to be cheaper than the Wide Oval AS.

If you need an all-season... my pick for just slightly more:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... toModClar=

You will probably find that any and all of these tires will be better than your old BFG KDWS. I had them before the Firestones and noticed that they were very underwhelming, especially for the big price. They're noisier, don't nearly have as good traction, and the sidewalls didn't inspire particularly good handling while still not delivering noteworthy ride comfort. Can't comment on tread life however, I got rid of them before they had any appreciable wear. I bought the car with them installed.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:49 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
Hey thanks for the quick reply!!!
We hardly ever get any snow!! And if we do i won't drive the GXP. Yea i seen those indy 500 on the firestone website also and is $40 cheaper. So you have the indy 500's on your gxp now and you really like them? Humm I'm going to firestone store tomorrow and im going to look at those as well! Thanks for the info....

Last edited by Bvill_GXP on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:01 am 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
They're cheaper than what you originally looked at, but just a heads up - being dedicated summer rubber they will wear a bit quicker... but worth the extra performance, I say. Since you get no snow/cold weather... other summer rubber to look at (that come in 235/50/18) are the Yokohama S.drive and the Continental ExtremeContact DW (not DWS as previously mentioned). None of the three will be a bad choice in this price range.

Also, IMO - you can go for stickier and higher performing tires for the GXP and pay a lot more, but you start to run into suspension and chassis limitations... the law of diminishing returns in effect.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
A Continental Extreme Contact owner here. Albeit mine are the DWS's, not the DW's. Amazing tire. Ugly as all get out (the DWS's), which is why I held off on buying them for so long, but still a *dang* good tire and substantially cheaper than most other options in your size of comprable performance. But because of that Continental has a national backorder in most sizes, due to demand. Discount Tire around me had 2,500 of them on national backorder for my front size. They didn't even bother looking up the rears for fear of the same. So I got some of the last few that TireRack had and then had DT install them.

For the GXP (235/50-18), for summer only, The DW is a top performer, so is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport. But take a look at the prices comparitively to the Continental.

Amongst higher performance A/S, The Continental DWS, General G-Max AS-03, Kumho Ecsta 4x, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (what I replaced with the DWS's) are top notch. I will say from experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport's, I was never crazy about them. Their compound seemed to harden over time, and they wore funny. Not to mention that despite being an All-Season, it seemed as though any temps under 50* were just dangerous. But that may have had to do with my .5" rims. They got to be so bad, I lost against a flipping Camry accelerating from a stoplight one day during a rainy morning. Nothing of a race, just simple acceleration.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:17 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
I am probably going to get this set of Firehawks. I want a performance oriented all-season tire, and there was a couple others that fit the bill, but one thing made these Firehawks stand out:

Symmetrical Tread!

Tread is non-directional, so you can rotate cross-ways, which in my experience, usually helps get another 10k or so of life out of the tires. Non directional tread is very hard to find anymore, but there are definite advantages to it.