It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi
Since I have an aftermarket cd player the buttons on my steering wheel dont work and therefor am finding it to be rather ugly and useless (if the buttons worked it would be neither). I want to replace it whenever possible and was wondering, since its got an airbag, how hard would it be to add a non airbag steering wheel to it? I ask cause I prefer one of the racing wheels or just something different such as:

If I remember correctly (btw is that what IIRC stands for?), each of those are universal steering wheels

Mods: 180* T-stat, Red wire loom, and Red painted strut bar.
Interior: Blue CD Neon, Chrome racing pedals, Custom painted dash
Exterior: Tinted Taillight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:59 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville LE
You can, there's nothing special about the steering shaft GM uses. As far as the airbag goes, obviously you will need to remove it. I don't know if you have to put any jumpers/changes in on the wiring harness after it is remove to keep the system from flagging an error code. You can just disconnect it from the module and see what happens first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:40 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I think you have to disconnect the battery for a set period of time, to allow the airbag and sensors to discharge completely, otherwise it will go off on you

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Considering you JUST got your license, this would be the stupidest mod you could do. Removing a key safety device? If you take out the drivers side, the passenger airbag is automatically disabled. If you are going to be stupid, don't take your passengers with you. Don't do it.

This is the mod you need: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rd4zzXklIR ... ?i=127SWIX

2005 Town & Country Limited | Butane Blue Metallic | 290k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 210k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
Don't do it.

Just get this to make your aftermarket stereo to work with your buttons...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wBOA5J2EII ... ?i=127SWIX

Edit - haro beat me to the link. ^^^

Previous: '06 Audi S4 Quattro 6MT (for sale!)
'06 Chevy Cobalt SS, Stage II: 2.0L Supercharged, 16psi boost, G85 Package; Recaro Racing Seats, Limited Slip Differential, 5 Speed Manual
'00 Pontiac Bonneville SE ( 4 years, 197,000 miles)
'99 Dodge Intrepid ES (1 year, 2 engines)
'95 Chevy Lumina (2 years, 164,000 miles)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

harofreak00 wrote:
Considering you JUST got your license, this would be the stupidest mod you could do. Removing a key safety device? If you take out the drivers side, the passenger airbag is automatically disabled. If you are going to be stupid, don't take your passengers with you. Don't do it.

This is the mod you need: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rd4zzXklIR ... ?i=127SWIX

Uh I just want to quickly point out that I may have just gotten my license but Ive been driving for years. Because Ive been driving illegally for so many years I quickly learned how to drive without the cops looking your way at every moment, my friends actually say Im the safest driver.

That being said: Thanks, someone told me once you get a new cd player the buttons will never work again so I figured it would be done. At some point I will want a new steering wheel tho (now that I know the buttons can still work itll be pushed much farther down the list), anyway to do that without disabling the passenger side airbag?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
velvetdreams21 wrote:
Uh I just want to quickly point out that I may have just gotten my license but Ive been driving for years. Because Ive been driving illegally for so many years I quickly learned how to drive without the cops looking your way at every moment, my friends actually say Im the safest driver.

Wow, are you actually bragging about something as foolish as that?

2005 Town & Country Limited | Butane Blue Metallic | 290k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 210k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Location: ............ Granville, Ohio/Erie, PA *WCBF '08 SURVIVOR* *NEBF '07 SURVIVOR*
Year and Trim: .
2013 Audi A4 6MT
velvetdreams21 wrote:

Oh ok, then I guess that makes it perfectly fine, right? :roll:

That's not the point. If you disable one airbag, you disable the other. If you're taking a bunch of friends home in the middle of the night and a DD hits you, then what? You'll have that burden on your shoulders for the rest of your life, if you survive... Come on, all that for a riced-out steering wheel? There are much better mods you can do...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

harofreak00 wrote:
velvetdreams21 wrote:

Wow, are you actually bragging about something as foolish as that?

Im not bragging at all, what Im saying with that is that when you drive illegally you learn real quick how to drive really safe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

petraman wrote:
velvetdreams21 wrote:

Oh ok, then I guess that makes it perfectly fine, right? :roll:

That's not the point. If you disable one airbag, you disable the other. If you're taking a bunch of friends home in the middle of the night and a DD hits you, then what? You'll have that burden on your shoulders for the rest of your life, if you survive... Come on, all that for a riced-out steering wheel? There are much better mods you can do...

I dont want to disable to passenger airbag, thats why I asked how to do it without disabling the passenger airbag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '92 Roadmaster
BTW just to make this clear... if you DO remove the airbag, and you get into a accident, your insurance will NOT cover anything, because you removed a safety device from your car that it came with. My friend got into a accident in his '92 Cougar, and he had a aftermarket Grant steering wheel in there, and his insurance wouldn't cover anything because he deleted a safety device that the car came with.

I've even heard of cars being taken off the road because the factory airbag wheel was removed for a aftermarket wheel.

It may just be Ohio... but check with your state's laws.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Bonneville92V688 wrote:
BTW just to make this clear... if you DO remove the airbag, and you get into a accident, your insurance will NOT cover anything, because you removed a safety device from your car that it came with. My friend got into a accident in his '92 Cougar, and he had a aftermarket Grant steering wheel in there, and his insurance wouldn't cover anything because he deleted a safety device that the car came with.

I've even heard of cars being taken off the road because the factory airbag wheel was removed for a aftermarket wheel.

I never thought of that, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:49 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville LE
Bonneville92V688 wrote:

And the insurance companies have every right to do so. When you insured the car, the rate was based, in part, on the equipment in the car..they gave you a discount for the airbags. If you delete them and don't correct the policy, then they have every right to deny the claim.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:54 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

clm2112 wrote:
Bonneville92V688 wrote:

And the insurance companies have every right to do so. When you insured the car, the rate was based, in part, on the equipment in the car..they gave you a discount for the airbags. If you delete them and don't correct the policy, then they have every right to deny the claim.

Yea, I may stop by my insurance company later just to find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:56 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
So you drove for several years without a license.... I guess this means you were uninsured as well? I would have to say that is far from being smart... I could have just imagined what would have happened if you had gotten into an accident, even if it wasn't your fault you would have been in some serious trouble..

Removal of the air bag... Like stated if you were to wreck your car the insurance can kill off your claim if you have an accident... Lets look at this another way... You try like you might to avoid an accident.... You end up hitting the other car head on.. No Air bag so you get to Kiss that nice new steering wheel and it snaps your face in several places.... Then being that you removed the air bag the insurance company drops your claim, You'll be into the medical bills for some extreme $$$$$$...

If you did get into an accident and you had a friend with you, would you want your friends planted into the dash? Or would you want that passenger protected?

I just don't see the reason to remove a safety feature such as an air bag..

You can do what you will and want to do like driving without a license, without insurance, no air bags... But they all come at a price..

Good Day

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:23 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Remember that it isn't always YOU that is the unsafe driver that causes an accident. Even the single most safe driver in the world is still at risk of an accident because of other drivers :wink:

2003 Bonneville SSEi - The Black Mirror SOLD!
2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1997 SSEi
Not sure about your state, but in the state of New Jersey (and probably many other left-leaning states) your car will fail state inspection if you remove any factory airbags. If your car came with airbags from the factory, your car must have them in place to pass inspection.

A buddy of mine has a aftermarket steering wheel in his 3K GT and when he goes for inspection he places the stock steering wheel back in it's place so he can pass. Of course legality of this is also under question.

Even if it's not illegal to tear out factory airbags in your state, I'd highly recommend sticking with the stock steering wheel. I think those aftermarket ones look like crap anyway. Plus I think aftermarket steering wheels just scream ricer. :brice:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Jr's3800 wrote:
If you did get into an accident and you had a friend with you, would you want your friends planted into the dash? Or would you want that passenger protected?

Ok, does nobody see that I keep asking if its possible to take out mine without disabling theirs? Because it keeps getting brought up that theirs will be disabled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Water 97SSEi wrote:
Not sure about your state, but in the state of New Jersey (and probably many other left-leaning states) your car will fail state inspection if you remove any factory airbags. If your car came with airbags from the factory, your car must have them in place to pass inspection.

A buddy of mine has a aftermarket steering wheel in his 3K GT and when he goes for inspection he places the stock steering wheel back in it's place so he can pass. Of course legality of this is also under question.

Even if it's not illegal to tear out factory airbags in your state, I'd highly recommend sticking with the stock steering wheel. I think those aftermarket ones look like crap anyway. Plus I think aftermarket steering wheels just scream ricer. :brice:

Well i plan on going to my insurance company and talking to them about it first. Idk I guess to each their own cause I really like em

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:43 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2007 Grand Prix GT
Can you disable the driver side air bag and not the passenger side one? yes you can. If someone on here tells you how to do it and you get in a wreck and die, then the person who told you how to disable a safety device is in deep *shoot*. Good luck finding help on this topic.
If you have any other questions about FIXING your car or mods that wont cause personal injury then we are here to help.

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (project BlackSheep) Bone stock for now, 5 spd and fun as hell! (Gf's Ride)
1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE Gone but not forgotten
1997 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 5.9L The Beast!