It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drove a GXP today.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '02 SSEi
Ive been telling myself to look at this car I don't need for a while now. It's a silver '04 with 42,500 miles and pretty much flawless paint and body. Rear brake rotors are rusted to high heaven, tires are mismatched and shot in every way, etc.

So the first thing the guy at the dealership tells me is that the carwas stolen. Someone took it for a drive and didn't bring it back. Well they did. A week later. All was well, but the front tires were bald. Go figure. I'm glad he told me that, or I'd be thinking I wanted it.

I got in, fired it up and was awestruch by the sound. I wasn't expecting so much of it. I've driven N* caddies, lots of trucks, Camaros, 'Vettes, Bentleys and GEO Metros, but I'd never expect THAT sound. At least not from that car. It's a beautiful sound to be sure. I'd buy it for the sound alone. Very sexy indeed.

I pulled out of the parking spot and was surprised by the touchyness of the throttle. (Thoughts of longitudinal G forces passed my mind). I imediately went to a gas station to fill the three flat tires and was off for a rather brief trip down a country road I frequent on my bike. A few tight corners and a nice hilltop straight with a good field of view.

On the way, I was impressed with the responsiveness of the V8 at low speed. And MAN IT SOUNDS SWEET!

On the road, it feels quite like my SSEi. I can tell it's got 45 series tires, but it's not a huge difference. I didn't attack the corners by any means, but enough to get a little howl from the tires. Obviously this car needs parts. Sounds like a broken rear swaylink and the brakes are toast.

Then came the straight. The plan was a quick rip through 3rd. I didn't even make it that far. I was saddened. This poor car was a dog. Im not sure what was wrong (no trouble light, I didn't scan it, even thought I had my scan tool), but it didnt bull past 4k. Flat on its face. It sounded great though.

I discracefully rolled back to the dealer and had a long conversation with another employee who ownes an 05 GXP and an 03 SLE with a top swap and home porting.

I think given the lack of modding potential and the added expense of the northstar, I can go without that glorious rumble. At $14k, its no wonder the car has been sitting at the lot for half a year. I half kiddingly asked if he wanted to make an offer on my SSEi. He told me he has a hard time moving supercharged cars. I laughed on the inside.

Post subject: Re: Drove a GXP today.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:46 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: ____
Hah, that must be one worked over car...wouldn't expect it to perform too well anymore. :sad:

I drove a GXP back in...07 I believe it was, had about 10k on it, and in impeccable condition, I do agree with the insanely sexy sounds that come from it...but didn't like the seats as much as a 92-99, so eh. Took it on the freeway, back roads, and city driving, drove for about 45 mins with it....found everything to be absolutely incredible...top end was pretty nuts, especially with that VERY short final. Overall, I'd give the car an 7.5/10. (10 is currently taken by the 07 CLK63 I test drove a few months ago.

Drive another in good condition, then take a real judgment!

Then: '07 Ford Fusion SEL | 221hp Gen I VVT Duratec 3.0 V6 | Tungsten Silver | 150k
Then: '99 Toyota Avalon XL | 200hp 1MZ-FE 3.0 V6 | Diamond White | 189k | Sold: July 2015
Then: '11 Ford Fusion SEL | 240hp Gen II VVT Duratec 3.0 V6 | Ingot Silver | 84k | Totaled: Oct 23 '14 (Rear-Ended)
Then: '96 Buick Park Avenue Ultra | 240hp Series II L67 | Medium Dark Lichen | Bought: JAN 11 @ 135k | Accident: FEB 3 '12 | Crushed: MAR 1 '13 @ 153K
Then: '98 Pontiac Bonneville SSE | 205hp Series II 3800 L36 | Topaz Firemist | Bought: NOV '09 @ 74k | Accident: MAY 28 '10 | Crushed: MAR 15 '11 @ 84k
Then: '93 Pontiac Bonneville SE | 170hp Series I 3800 L27 | Dark Yellow Green | Bought: JULY '07 @ 92k | Sold: JULY '12 @ 118k
Then: '89 Pontiac Bonneville LE | 165hp 3800 LN3 | Medium Garnet Red | Bought: JAN '05 @ 117k | Sold: SEP 30 '07 @ 152k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I'd like to.

I like the seats a little better than my 02's, but nothing beats the 92-99 seats, IMO. At least the faux sued panels hold you stationary better than mine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:38 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I don't like the N* in the GXP as much as my L67. It's got the sound, just not the movement. It's faster than mine from a 40 mph roll, but not much. It has better brakes and suspension, and a nicer interior, but I'd want more out of a V8 than it gives.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

You know, the brakes and suspension didnt feel any different to me, but the car was kind of beat mechanically at only 42k. I fully plan to swap to GXP brakes, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:37 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Brakes are worlds better, and the suspension is much better, from what little I drove the one Haro had.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
In many respects it's difficult, if not a little unfair to compare the GXP with the SSEi. These are different cars and what you can expect from each is also quite different. Like any comparison, you'll either be happy, indifferent or unhappy based on what you want to see out of it. I don't have a lot of time behind the wheel of an SSEi, but I know that on the highway my GXP performs (IMO) very well. It sounds like the one yourgrandma drove was pretty beat up. What was described (problem wise) hasn't been typical of mine.

I'm not sure exactly how much this comes into play here, but of the people who have compared the two (and not just in this thread), how many were comparing stock to stock versus a stock GXP with an SSEi that has undergone at least SOME performance upgrades? From what I've read in the past, many of the people disappointed with the GXP are frequently accustomed to driving modded L67's.

Since it's true there isn't much for performance upgrades for the NorthStar, you have to be willing to accept that what you have now is pretty much what you will have later. If you're looking to mod a car, I'll be the first to agree the GXP is not the one to pick.

Each car has a lot going for it, perhaps just not all the same criteria from one to the other. Personally, I find the GXP just feels like a more "solid" car when I'm driving than the SSEi (and I'm not trying to compare performance here, just what I "feel").

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

The GXP just disappoints me in the power aspect. The one I drove was in good mechanical condition, and it was relatively fast, and sounded good, but I expect more out of a V8 than it gave. It sounded much better than it performed, and I expect more out of a 3800 lb V8 powered car. It wasn't a slouch by any means, just didn't give that sense of speed like a V8 should.

I agree that every other aspect of the car was better than my SSEi, from the exterior to the interior, suspension and brakes. It was just lacking under the hood from what a V8 Bonneville should've been.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

My SSEi is bone stock, so I feel my comparison is prett fair, except for the GXPs apparent abuse.

What are the differances in the suspension? Do they have more sound deadening than the SSEi? I did Dynamat my doors, so that is one non stock aspect of my car, an it made quite a difference, but I diidn't notice an excess of noise from the GXP, I was really only judging the performance and ride quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

GXP has FE5 suspension, SSEi has FE2. I don't know the exact differences, but the GXP handles much better, IMHO. When I say noise, I mean engine noise, exhaust noise when you floor it, not road noise or anything else.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Well, the mention of Dynamat was because someone said the GXP felt more solid, which could be because it may be quieter (road noise wise).

So who can tell us what the FE5 has over the FE2? Im guessing heavier swaybars, stiffer springs and tighter shocks, but the one I drove felf pretty similar to my car. I could see wanting some bigger swaybars, though. Is the rideheight the same? The tires really seem to fill the wheelwells more on the gxp, and not just because of the 18s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

yourgrandma wrote:
My SSEi is bone stock, so I feel my comparison is prett fair, except for the GXPs apparent abuse.

Actually, I felt what you said was very fair, you just drove one that had likely been a little abused. Most of what I referred to is general comparisons and as mentioned, not necessarily related to this thread. I actually felt that much of what you said was quite accurate.

00Beast wrote:
The GXP just disappoints me in the power aspect. The one I drove was in good mechanical condition, and it was relatively fast, and sounded good, but I expect more out of a V8 than it gave. It sounded much better than it performed, and I expect more out of a 3800 lb V8 powered car. It wasn't a slouch by any means, just didn't give that sense of speed like a V8 should.

I don't doubt that GM could have (and perhaps should have) done a better job. If you were looking at this as simply a car with a V8 your statement may well be correct, but when you compare your SSEi with the GXP you must remember that the transmission and final gear ratio is different. This will definitely give a different impression than what the V8 is capable of. Not that it's a lot of difference, but mine is 4,006 lbs empty. According to my information package from GM, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4,941 lbs. and my door sticker indicates I have a maximum available payload of 935 lbs. So, when you factor in the weight of (at least) the driver, along with fuel you're really talking more like 4,200 lbs.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I think I forgot to talk about the interior. I like real carbon fiber, and I mus say ddalder, your refinished trim looks very convincing. I'd consider getting peices done like yours. I like white faced gagues. I like the the darker buttons rather than the two tone look the SSEi. Ultimately what I'd like is to incorperate many of the interior appointments of the GXP into my SSEi. Things like the Stainless entry panels would be dead simple to reproduce.

The seats. Ahh the seats. If they had only made the seats match the spirit of the car... While comfortable, I felt the lack of bolstering (as with the SSEi) sends a mixed message. The car yells performance. The seats mumble something about prune juice. The suede )i believe) was an effort to make bolstering unneeded. It geips your clothing better than smooth leather. It's somewhat effective, but I'll always miss the feel of my 92's seats. Like they were custom molded.

Basically my ideal Bonneville (aside from being RWD and having a 4th Gen smallblock) would have GXP wheels, some of the GXP interior bits, my SSEi seats cut a little deeper with two tone leather, maybe a flush grille (SSEi vs GXP fron facia is a dead heat, they both look cool, but the GXP looks like a GTO), GXP dual exhaust tips, GXP brakes at least. I plan to do most of this at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks for noticing the carbon fibre. I really do like it much better. It came with a bit of a price tag though! Regardless, I'm very happy with it and don't regret spending the money.

I do like the look of the GXP seats more than some of the other Bonnevilles, but I agree they need work. The suede, while not a terrible idea (for what they wanted to achieve) is horrible to try and keep clean! I also feel the lumbar support needs a lot of improvement.

I like the GXP wheels, but I like my chromed GXP wheel a lot more! I was disappointed that GM didn't offer a chrome option for this car. In my mind, a BIG oversight!

Last edited by ddalder on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

If you wouldn't mind, could I ask what the price was for the carbon vacuum printing? PM if need be. I came very close to going carbon fiber (Real CF) on a sub box, but it never happened. My motorcycle helmet is carbon, too.