PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:06 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS MODIFICATION IS ILLEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES......however, I've never been ticketed or warned, as I don't usually drive with my high beams on when an oncoming law-enforcement officer might notice my highs and fogs on at the same time. :wink:

This technique takes very little work and can be accomplished with a single wire. 92/93 are very similar (if not identical) and 94/95-97?? should be identical. Both generation splits are shown here. When the headlights are changed to HIGH beams, the foglight relay is de-energized by energizing the BYPASS relay which removes the ground from the FOGLIGHT relay, breaking the foglight circuit. What we'll do here is provide a constant ground to the FOGLIGHT relay to prevent the foglight bypass when the high beam circuit is energized. This effectively removes the foglight BYPASS relay and circuit from the menu. We're using this method as the actual WIRE is nearly impossible to access with the relay center installed in the car:

1. For all years, the first thing you need to do is remove the passenger side hushpanel above the right front passenger's feet (this is easier without a right front passenger installed). There are two screws along the lip closest to the seat (phillips or torx depending on year, or hex....might be 5mm?). There is also a wingnut on a stud holding the 'toes' end of the hushpanel to the firewall near the center of the car.

2. This is your target......1995 shown, 94 identical, 92/93 similar:
This is the RELAY CENTER mounted on the base of the A-Pillar above the hushpanel and below the glovebox.

3a. (94/95 ONLY): Pull the LOWEST relay (Position "A") from the panel. Attach a single-conductor wire (not multi-strand, intercom wire works best, something in the 20-24 gauge will work great) to post "1" of the relay as shown. Do a very tight double-wrap. If your wire gauge is too large (lower number), it may prevent the relay from fully seating. Make sure you strip it as shown so the wire can't contact any other post. Don't worry about routing after you leave the relay, as this is a GROUND wire you're adding:

3b. (92/93 ONLY): The technique is identical to 3a above EXCEPT the relay panel looks different. As you look at the relay panel on a 93/93, you'll see a double vertical column of 8 relays, two columns of 4 relays each, not a single as shown in the 94/95 pics above. You are looking for relay position "G" which is in the column closer to the REAR of the car (to your right as you face the relay center from the driver's side). Relay "G" is the second one up from the bottom of the right (rear) column of relays. Do the same thing as shown in step 3a above.

4. Run the other end of the wire to any convenient ground location and attach it as shown:

DISCLAIMER: The method described in 3b for 92/93 is NOT the way I did my 93. It should work as advertised, so if anyone with a 92/93 tries this method, let me know it worked for you. The 94/95 technique is exactly as I did my 95.

If the 92/93 method in 3b doesn't work for you, and you have the Lamp Monitor (SSE/SSEi only), I have another technique that will work for you if you're really really drunk and a contortionist with a great deal of patience. You must also enjoy pain.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

Last edited by willwren on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:30 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
This was verified and worked on Putertopia's 97 SLE.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers