It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SE
Hello to everyone at Pontiac Bonneville Club! My name is Brandon; I stumbled across these forums many months ago when I got my 1993 Bonnie. I'm only 19 years old and know relatively little about cars compared to most people here, but my simple love for the car has made me quite a frequent guest around these parts. So, I figured it was time to happily admit that I'm a Bonnie fanatic and sign up.

But enough about me; here's the (long-winded) story behind this car: The original owner of this car was the GM of the a nearby General Motors plant who had purchased it for his wife in 92. A year later, they decided to sell it, and it was purchased by my grandparents. Some of my earliest memories are actually of sitting in "the Green Car" and pretending to drive it. It was the coolest car in the world to me. I loved the dark green coat, the headlights, those angry tail lights, the spoiler, and the wheels (even with the giant "ABS" plastered right in the center). I loved the low hum of the engine when it meandered through quiet neighborhood streets. Fast forward to June of 2013. I was over to visit when my grandpa said something unusual. "I have something I want to show you," he said, walking to the garage. The Bonneville sat inside, looking as immaculate as ever. He handed me the keys. "Start her up." I got in and the engine roared to life. Then he said, "I'm about to buy a new car. How would you like the Bonneville?"

I've had her for half a year now and taken her on three long road trips to see my girlfriend. I've had no problems with my Bonneville at all. She's a real cruiser - this car feels right at home doing 75 on the highways. I've never been in a more comfortable road trip car. Bonnie also gets 27-30 MPG highway, which was a pleasant surprise. As for the car's condition, it still looks almost new when it's been washed. It had been garaged for 21 years, so it gets dirtier a lot more quickly than it used to now that it's outside all the time. The green coat still looks fine to me, no chipping or anything, and certainly no rust. The car has only 81,000 on it now (it had 78-something when I got it), so virtually everything on this car is original. Literally the only other issue on this car is that the driver's seat has a bit of wear-and-tear on the part near the door. No "real" issues yet, just the regular stuff like filling up the tires (which are new) and checking fluids.

If you take anything away from this at all, just know that those stories of people finding diamond-in-the-rough, "to church and back" cars are true. I own one. Pics coming soon to the "Your Ride" section. Glad to be here! -Brandon

1993 Bonneville SE 82,000 miles L27
Love her to death!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Welcome! It looks just like the 92 my brother bought in college.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Really glad to have you join us. My '92 was my wife's car originally. We bought it new, but unlike your's it has 300,000+ miles on it. I agree, a great road car. Can't wait to see the pics of your Bonneville.

My father worked at the GM plant that was located where the current plant is now in Kansas City, KS. At the time he worked there Buicks, Oldsmodiles and F-84F fighter jets were assembled in the original plant. He worked on the F-84F assembly line as a QA inspector.

Welcome! - BC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Some view cars as an appliance of transportation. I dont. A car is a way of life, a friend that takes you on your journeys. Not only do you have a fine example, but you also have a piece of your childhood. Treat it right, and it will be around a very long time. I haven't always treated mine right, and its beginning to show. But even at 180k miles, it still comes back for more every day, and I thank it for that. I know that the day mine dies will be a sad day, and nothing short of spectacular. I wish the same on yours, only may it be many years, and many miles down the road. Welcome to the club.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SE
1oldman wrote:
it has 300,000+ miles on it. I agree, a great road car. Can't wait to see the pics of your Bonneville.

Wow, 300K miles. Kudos to you for keeping your Bonneville strong. =D>

RJolly87 wrote:
Some view cars as an appliance of transportation. I dont. A car is a way of life, a friend that takes you on your journeys. Not only do you have a fine example, but you also have a piece of your childhood. Treat it right, and it will be around a very long time.

I sure agree with that. My step dad always says that cars are often a reflection of their owner's personality. I definitely plan to keep her in good shape with the help of those around me (who know an awful lot about autos). I've been around this car as long as I've been alive.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

1993 Bonneville SE 82,000 miles L27
Love her to death!