It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
When one of my front turn signals burnt out the other day (the bulb near the grill, not in the corner light), I decided I wanted to try switchbacks. They run solid as white and flash amber when the turn signal is flashing. I have tried two now, and they don't fit in the socket. They are 2057/1157 bulbs. A standard incandescent bulb has the normal flare shape of, you know, a bulb. And the LEDs all seem to have a step in the barrel diameter. You can see the difference pointed out below. I'm sure they technically fit the socket requirements of the bulb. But my 92 has a bit of an inner shroud in the socket which protrudes in a way that the LED barrel step butts against it, and they won't fully seat and twist into place. I overlayed the shroud in green to highlight it. With the 1st bulb I bought, I obviously didn't know to avoid the barrel step, but I did try to get the least intrusive looking shaped bulb I could find on the 2nd try, without it being a complete chinsy looking no-name brand bulb. But it was still a no-go. So I tried looking for a replacement socket pigtail that I could use to make a jumper harness while making sure the socket fit the bulbs, either being made in a more accepting way or through modification. Looking at sockets that are listed for the car, they look to have the space available for the barrel step, but none of them have the same locking ring tabs, nor do they have the tab on the side that clicks in place so the socket can't rotate out. I spent quite a while last night looking, but I cannot find a matching socket. Even GM sites list a socket that doesn't match. The closest I can find is made by Dorman, but still not a great match and also lacks the locking tab on the side. I looked at a random parts car, a 98, online but the socket had changed by that point, apparently. Doesn't look the same either. I do have a 92 and a 93 out at our farm I could scavenge, but I don't have a reason to make the 2 hour round trip for another month or so. Maybe I should just whip out the Dremel and ship it. Has anyone happened to ever locate a new socket for an early 92-99 gen? Do the sockets every place lists magically fit just fine?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Ok, so I did find the socket and a couple vehicles that use it. Even a whole list of different manufacturers part numbers. No one still makes any of them. They were used on Fieros, Corsicas, Park Aves, some others. eBay has some.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I did a little Dremel surgery today. It didn't need much. I got the bulbs to fit, but they don't switch colors... always amber. I'll have to figure that out. But at least they fit now.

The shroud is visible here:

You can see some space between the bulb and the shroud here:

You can see the barrel of the LED sitting against the shroud:

What I did to the socket:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:14 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
If it fits, it sits.

I feel like the fiero folks probably found a solution if it impacts them.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.