It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:54 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: '03 SSEi
'03 SSEi
So this happened about 45 minutes after taking her in for a car-wash in weather that was above freezing but than dipped below freezing. I would think this would have nothing to do with what happened, but it seems awfully coincidental or maybe just my "luck", :(

The following lights turned on (Will not turn off): Service Stability System, Trac Off and Anti Lock
The following light turned off (Will not turn on): Traction Control Button

Today I tried to "reset" in weather above freezing by disconnecting the Positive Battery, but no change.

Any ideas?

TIA

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
You most likely have a failed wheel speed sensor in one of the wheel hubs. Get used to it. Lol I've replaced each front a handful of times and both rears as well. Don't get the cheapest hubs, they all seem to fail quickly, but they ALL will fail much sooner than the OEM hubs do. I've had my best luck with Moog and Timken, but I'd still be expecting failure in another 2-3 years depending on your mileage and roads.

I'd start with lifting up the car and checking each wheel for up and down play. This may give away the bad hub. If you have no luck there, someone with an ABS scan tool will need to hook up and find the fault in the system.

If you're handy, the hubs are cake to do for the most part.

Especially the rears. Remove wheel and brake caliper and rotor, and you have 4 bolts holding it on. Disconnect sensor and knock out the old hub.

For the fronts, remove wheel, brake caliper and rotors. The axle nut is a 34mm, you can rent a socket from the local parts store. Then you have some bolts holding it on from the back and the sensor connector. The axle might be stuck in the hub, so you may need to hammer it a bit. Put the nut on the end of the shaft, and use a piece of wood and big hammer to try and knock it out. If you don't have power tools, putting on the spare tire helps to remove the axle nut. Have someone hold the brake while you loosen the nut with a large breaker bar. Torque to 118ft pounds.