It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:11 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville SSE
I searched on old topics but couldn't get a hit so I'll ask here, where is the keyless entry module and what does it look like? I found one on ebay and it has a green plastic housing with one harness connector that goes on the passenger side against the side kick panel. I was at a junk yard earlier today and had this green box in my hand. I opened it to find a small speaker. I thought it was for the key in ignition/door open sound as well as the turn signal so I left it in the donor car. I think I took every other relay, black box, you name it. This is why I am confused. The service manual shows something that looks different with 2 harness connectors. Why I am trying locate the module is due to the fact that I am trying to get the keyless entry system to work. I bought a new fob on ebay, put new batteries in it and tried to program it. When I placed a paper clip across the 2 pins nothing happened. The manual says the door locks should have cycled. What am I missing? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:28 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
You may be able to follow those wires to the module, but from what I recall, the module is backnear the firewall, between the stereo and glove box.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks Rjolly87. What you say makes good sense. The diagram that is in the service manual does not give enough location points of reference. I will go back to the jyard this morning, pull it, switch it out and hope the keyless entry works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Boy did the GM engineers go out of their way to hide the keyless entry module :evil: . It was mounted on the reverse side of the dashboard above the glove box next to where the Bonneville name plate is placed on the dashboard. I was glad I was at the junkyard because while I did get it off, I am not sure I want to literally remove a good portion of my dashboard to swap it out. Unless I am missing a short cut, it is incredibly time consuming.

This journey all started when a bought a new key fob and batteries trying to get the keyless entry system working. I followed the service manual instructions for programming the new remote and could not get the locks to cycle when I jumped the two pins. Nothing happened. All the power door locks work when I use the key so I know that much works.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what my next step is? Again, placing a paper clip to jump the pins resulted in nothing happening.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:01 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1991 Bonneville SSE
Hi retroren1, I know this is an old post, but did you ever get this figured out? I have a 91 SSE. I've reprogrammed my module at least a dozen times and only will the lock button sporadically work, and that's only when it's pointed directly at the module. Do you know what other GM modules are compatible? The junkyard doesn't exactly have a run on 90-91 Bonnevilles, 98's and Park Avenues. Ha.

I've looked everywhere for info, but it seems there's nothing. I also have the service manual, and until I read your post, I had no idea the module was sitting above the glovebox. I thought it was behind the radio based on the graphic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!