It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
A few days ago my car started showing these problems (2000 SSEi).
Usually it's the rear doors, but occasionally it's the right front, and all the doors are securely closed.
It's pretty annoying with the chimes, and once in awhile the interior lights even come on... :bluetwitch:

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, and if there's an easy fix or does it indicate a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
2000-2005-other-than-gxp/topic25362.html

It might be related to this:
Quote:
Passenger front and both rear door windows & locks don’t work
Problem: You notice that the passenger front window, and both rear windows don’t work, along with the door locks.
Solution: Whether you know it now or not, you have some water leaks, allowing water to get under your carpet, and its corroding the wiring. Thankfully, this is a rather simple fix if you have any electronic/soldering knowledge.
The windows and door locks data runs on a serial bus line that goes from each door module to each other. There is a splice pack under the driver seat that connects these wires. It gets wet and corrodes.
1. Remove the driver seat bolts with a T47 Torx bit. You’ll need to remove those plastic covers. Two bolts in front, two in the back. Disconnect the wiring and remove from the car.
2. Lift up the carpet and notice standing water, or signs of previous water.
3. There is some wiring that runs directly under the driver seat. Remove the wire loom from that 1ft section. Carefully cut away the wire wrap from the wires to expose the wires.
4. You’ll see 4 tan wires that look like they have black duct tape wrapped around them, cut away this wrap as well. You should find a splice pack that looks like this (complete with corrosion): http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv11 ... G_7787.jpg
5. Cut out the splice pack and save it to show your friends.
6. Cut back the 4 tan wires until it is fresh and clean. Black wiring is not good, cut back as much as necessary, it could be wicked up into that wire a few inches, or a few feet, depending on how long the problem has existed.
7. Solder a new wire in its place. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Any gauge wire will work as long as it’s somewhat similar to the existing wire. All you are doing is reconnecting the 4 door modules so they can communicate again. Be sure to use heat shrink tubing to keep the water out. http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv11 ... G_7788.jpg
8. Rewrap the area with wire wrap (electrical tape), and put the wire loom back on
9. Reinstall the seat.
10. FIX YOUR LEAKS! Check the links in the “Water leaks” section of this document.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
Thanks Haro!

I'll check that out when I get a chance.
VERY helpful thread btw!!! I bookmarked it =D>