It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:13 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1989 Bonneville SE
So this is kind of an odd problem. The plastic on my turn signal stalk broke when I was using my windshield washers, so I picked up a used one at a junkyard from another '89 Bonneville.

My old stalk pulled straight out just fine, but the replacement one isn't going in all the way. It's going in about halfway, but not "snapping in" the way it is supposed to.

So I have cruise, hi-beams, turn signals, and windshield washers, but without the lever in all the way I don't have wipers.

I tired installing the old one but it had the same issue.

I don't know if something on the switch is broken, if something is blocking the bottom of the hole (I didn't see anything noticeable) or what the deal is.

I'm tempted to dig around with an eyeglass screwdriver or something but I wanted to run the issue by you folks before I go tearing apart the steering column.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '93 SSEi
'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
The bottom end of the stalk has two little flares on it that have to line up in the wiper control. Sometimes it takes a little jiggling/rotating around to get it to go all the way. But use a light to look into the hole, maybe it's got something in the way?

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I dug in there with a dental pick and scraped out a broken piece of plastic. That allowed the stalk to go in all the way, but now the wipers are stuck on full blast. I pulled the wiper fuse to keep the car driveable and save the wiper motor.

I'm guessing this means the wiper switch is toast. One thing I need to know when I replace it is how do I disconnect my steering wheel controls when I pull my steering wheel. I pried the keypad out with a screwdriver and it looks the wires go directly into the back side of the keypad, and then to the right of where the horn plugs in the wires are going into the steering column. Is that the connector I need to remove? It looks pretty heavy duty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
digging out a piece of plastic that causes the switch to malfunction makes me think the switch is indeed broken. The wheel controls should have a connector behind the steering wheel center piece (houses the air bag on the '92+). Behind the wheel itself is a rotating module for the controls that is removable, but you have to follow the wire down the column to the connector and fish it through the column. Other that that, disassembly is the same as a non-wheel control column.

Somebody correct me if I missed something here..

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Alright, so I pulled apart the column today. I removed the broken wiper switch and installed a "new" one. I ran out of day light before I could screw everything back together though.

A few tidbits for people with the steering wheel controls:
1. The keypad easily pries off with a screwdriver.
2. The connection for the wheel controls is acutally integrated into the plastic horn ring. So you have to be VERY VERY careful when working around it. The horn ring itself has no wires coming off it.
3. Compared to a car without steering wheel controls, the piece of plastic between the wheel and the locking plate uses less material and is also attached much more forcefully. Luckily I got mine off without splitting it in half.
4. Compared to a car without wheel controls, the locking plate uses less material (has a big hole in it for the connector).
5. My turn signal switch was slighty different than others I've seen. It also had a few extra wires coming off the back (I'm guessing these are for the wheel controls), which made pulling the wiper switch wires up through the column more difficult.
6. You'll have some extra wiring down by the pedals. Alot of my extra wires were ziptied to the wiring for the wiper or turn signal switch.

I also noticed that a spring on my turn signal switch was disconnected. It looks like the plastic nubs it was connected to have worn down over the years and the locking plate might have holding it in place. I used some tweezers to put it back, but I'm not sure how long that will last. I would just put in a new switch, but like I wrote earlier, my switch appears to be unique to a car with the steering controls.

Finally, I would like to start the car to check for functionality without the locking plate or steering wheel attached (obviously not cruise). That was I can fiddle around with thing without needing to deal with snap rings and pullers again. Would this hurt the car at all?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:05 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
Shouldn't, but you wont need to start it to make sure everything works, just turn the key to on.

The Fleet:
'97 Camaro - Top swap

Current project:

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Everything is back together and seems to be functioning properly.