It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:55 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: '91 Olds 98 Regency Elite
'88 Bonneville
2 1/2 years ago I replaced a dead tranny with a used tranny I got from the yard. It ran just fine for about 6 months then one day I put it in gear and it did not move for about 60 seconds the bumped, went into gear and I did not have more trouble with it that day. The next day it did the same thing so I put a pint of Lucas in it and it never gave me any more problems for the next 2 years until tonight. I'd driven the car and parked it, then went out to put it in the garage several hours later and it happened again. I put it in gear, rev the engine and it does not move....then after about a minute it kicks hard into gear and then seems to work fine. I did notice the fluid appeared a bit brownish. Ideas? Tranny about to die again....and recommends?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
First off, never, NEVER add any of that aftermarket snake oil in your car. As a beginner auto tech, I've already had my eyes opened to so much, it kind of ticks me off as to why they allow that stuff on the market as it does nearly nothing to help. I'd do a filter, fluid change and cross my fingers. Usually when it takes that long to go into gear, it's not a good thing. It could be the parking prawl sticking but I doubt it. Do the change with stock replacement parts and go with a good transmission fluid brand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1989 Bonneville SE
I had a similar issue, although it was like 2 seconds of dead time not 45.

With me, it only seemed to occur when I hadn't driven the car for 6 six days or more. I changed the fluid/filter, drove the car at least once a week, and haven't had a problem since. Trans is still alive too (about three years now).

One thing to try also is shift into neutral first for a just a moment, then shift into drive. For some reason, that seemed to help my car when was having the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
Try checking the vacuum modulator and the vacuum lines feeding it to see if they are still good, the modulator is like 20 bucks for a new one so you could try that and see if it helps.

My tranny did similar things about a year ago. It works ok if i let it warm up a bit but it is done for in he long run, thats why i rebuilt one for it and im just trying to get to 180000 befor i swap it in. Your trans is dying IMO and you will need another one down the road it may last for awhile yet, bt it could go tomorrow. Its luck really.

Also superh is right for the most part about addatives not helping, but at this point its already dying so you may get some more miles out of it with a fluid and filter change, see what that does and if nothing changes try adding lucas again to limp it along if nothing else.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.