It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tranny Fluid
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 06
Anything I should be worried about with emptying all the tranny fluid and putting new tranny fluid in a 205k car?

Post subject: Re: Tranny Fluid
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Are you just talking about dropping the pan?

Make sure you clean the magnet and pan really good. If you see chunks, it is not a good sign.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Well, I'm going to drop the pan to change the gasket.

Last edited by Ragsdale on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Um, yeah, what they all said. filter, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 96 SSEi- 157K
you'll get a lot of different opinions, but mine is this... your trans is not new and there's going to be particles/ crap in the fluid. it has been operating under that consistency and pressure. put in new fluid, and you're completely changing that pressure and flow. that's why a lot of people do a flush on a shaky trans and it only seems to accelerate its death. just do a filter change. then you still have some old stuff in the car. kinda like changing the water in a fish bowl, you need to keep some of the old water in. just my logic on it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

zuper8 wrote:
you'll get a lot of different opinions, but mine is this... your trans is not new and there's going to be particles/ crap in the fluid. it has been operating under that consistency and pressure. put in new fluid, and you're completely changing that pressure and flow. that's why a lot of people do a flush on a shaky trans and it only seems to accelerate its death. just do a filter change. then you still have some old stuff in the car. kinda like changing the water in a fish bowl, you need to keep some of the old water in. just my logic on it

The only problem with that is that I can't fix the tranny pan leak.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:01 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Definitely drop the pan, replace the tranny filter and clean the pan and magnet licky clean.

Install the new gasket and torque to the recommended 10 ft-lbs (check that).
Refill with 7 liters of fresh oil. You can add some conditioner if you like.

The full quantity of oil in your trani is 12.7 liters. So you're only replacing half of it. :wink:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:21 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

What about doing this:

Quote:
DO NOT FLUSH!It is a big no no,the dirt get pushed back and get stuck into the valve body.The flush with the machine uses more fluid.Change the fluid and filter.But if you want a flush,the is what you do:Remove the bottom transmission line of the radatior and point or put a hose extension on the line in a pan.Start the car up and start pouring fluid in until it is clear.This is the better way to flush an automatic transmission and gets rid of the dirt and crud.The flush machine uses more fluid and does more transmission "damage". I had to replace one transmission because it was flushed and was acting up after being flushed with the machine.My father knows a guy that has his own transmission shop and cleans valve bodies because the transmission was flushed.The complaint is:does not shift right and shifts right after the valve body is cleaned out.Did the fluid have a stinky smell to it?,if that is the case rebuild it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:29 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Don't flush it. Just drop the pan.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Look into Auto-RX if you're not going to be dropping the pan for a while. I've used it on my LeSabre and am thoroughly impressed with how it tightened up the transmission. It's as close as you can get to a fix in a bottle.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.