All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi
White w/ grey int
Stock
Hey All,

I've got a full set of the Monroe Sensatracs to install on the '94 SSEi, and have been wondering about replacing the rear (and maybe front) springs too, while it's apart.

Symptom I'm noticing, probably related. My rear ELC system seems to be slightly confused/malfunctioning. The car sits a little high in the back, but not to an obnoxious level or anything. And I have experienced the compressor kickin on and pumping up the rear struts, even as the car sits alone parked in the garage/driveway, on level ground. Holds the top of the rear wheel-well around 28.75" from the ground. If we don't drive the car for a while, the battery drains down I'm guessing due to the compressor running, as I've not found any other electrical issues. So I decided I'd just unplug the compressor from it's harness for a while to eliminate the power draw. Eventually the rear of the car sags down pretty low, almost 2 inches from it's raised point. It LOOKS much lower than most every other Bonnie I've seen.

Do you think this is indicative of some worn-out springs, that can't keep the car up at a normal height without the air assist from the struts? Or am I on the wrong trail.

If I drive the car with the compressor unplugged, and sitting at it's lower rear height, the ride quality is not good, but with 118,xxx on the original struts, I'm not surprised by that. Ride quality does improve some when the compressor is plugged in and pumping air into the rear sturts.

If I replace the rear springs, should I throw some new ones in front too? Spring prices are not that bad, from what I've been seeing online.

Your thoughts? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
The ELC system is a calculated (by design) part of the FE2 suspension on your car. You have a leak. Find the leak and fix it, and you'll be much happier. After that, adjust the height sensor.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:52 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

White w/ grey int
Stock
willwren wrote:
The ELC system is a calculated (by design) part of the FE2 suspension on your car. You have a leak. Find the leak and fix it, and you'll be much happier. After that, adjust the height sensor.

I'm sure that mt OE struts are leaking out the air, and allowing themselves to compress. I thought that maybe the springs would hold the car up better even without any air in the strut bellows.

I am excited to get the new struts installed and seeing the difference in the ride quality. I think they have been shot pretty much since we purchased the vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE
Like Bill says, your symptoms are indicative of an air leak. I would be very surprised if your springs needed replacing. Very surprised.

If, after you replace the rear air shocks, you are still experiencing some issues, it will be due to an air leak somewhere in one of the lines. This is not uncommon. Find the leak and fix it. Viola! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:35 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

White w/ grey int
Stock
Ok, thanks!! As long as the springs look good, I'll just re-use them.