It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Bonneville SSE
2005 Bonneville GPX
I first had a problem with Cylinder #2 misfire and the exhaust was so bad with a white puff of smoke and it gauged you if you smelled it. The I had another Code saying a P300 random Misfire and its getting worse. What could cause this. I have it ready to go to the shop on Tuesday and Im worried what could be causing this misfire and white puff of smoke that smells like fire and it gags you when you smell or inhale the exhaust. It definitely runs like its misfiring but I don't understand why it would be going this. I had it in to the shop where they changed all the spark plug but not the wires. The hot white smoke coming out of the enhine worries me because there is a lot of it and it you can smell it or inhale it and it gags you. It is terrible. I need your insight please.

Last edited by zigger21 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:45 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1992 SE
kinda sounds like you might have leaky head gasket at that cylinder. Or if its more of a regular misfire could be either plug, wire, or coil.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2005 Bonneville GPX
motopsyco wrote:
kinda sounds like you might have leaky head gasket at that cylinder. Or if its more of a regular misfire could be either plug, wire, or coil.

it has new Coils and plugs, what is a leaky head gasket what would that do and how much to replace. would that cause the gagging white smoke that smells like a fire burning??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2005 Bonneville GPX
zigger21 wrote:
motopsyco wrote:

it has new Coils and plugs, what is a leaky head gasket what would that do and how much to replace. would that cause the gagging white smoke that smells like a fire burning??

I tried to turn it over and its like its seized. The antifreeze is low and the oil looks milky is the engine shot???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

sounds like you had the lower intake manifold gasket crap out on you, which dumped coolant into you oil, and was probably also going into cylinder 2. Milky oil means coolant is in there. Changing the manifold gaskets arent very hard or expensive and you can find write ups on this site to guide you through it. The problem now is that you said the engine acts like its seized which isnt good. you could have had this problem for awhile and anitfreeze eats bearings which could have permanently damaged your engine. Other than trying to start it, take off your belt and use a socket and large ratchet on the crank pully bolt and try to turn it over by hand, if it wont turn at all, or turns part way then completly stop then you engine is probably siezed up, and you will need to replace it or rebuild it.
If it does turn over then DO NOT start the car, drain out all of your oil immediatly and replace the lim (lower intake manifold) gaskets as fast as possible before adding oil or starting that car again.

here is a link to the tech article on replacing the gaskets:
engine/topic3591.html

I hope its not too late and good luck.

--Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:49 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2005 Bonneville GPX
motopsyco wrote:
sounds like you had the lower intake manifold gasket crap out on you, which dumped coolant into you oil, and was probably also going into cylinder 2. Milky oil means coolant is in there. Changing the manifold gaskets arent very hard or expensive and you can find write ups on this site to guide you through it. The problem now is that you said the engine acts like its seized which isnt good. you could have had this problem for awhile and anitfreeze eats bearings which could have permanently damaged your engine. Other than trying to start it, take off your belt and use a socket and large ratchet on the crank pully bolt and try to turn it over by hand, if it wont turn at all, or turns part way then completly stop then you engine is probably siezed up, and you will need to replace it or rebuild it.
If it does turn over then DO NOT start the car, drain out all of your oil immediatly and replace the lim (lower intake manifold) gaskets as fast as possible before adding oil or starting that car again.

here is a link to the tech article on replacing the gaskets:
engine/topic3591.html

I hope its not too late and good luck.

--Brian

So hope is not all gone yet the engine maybe salvageable. Im not going to do nothing with it until I get it into the shop. This type of work is over my paygrade. I don't have a lift or anything plus the cylinder that maybe locked up. What is the cost looking at going into the shop??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

well considering if you did it yourself might be around $50-75 probably 100 with fluids and everything on the cheap side. But talking about a shop doing it, you looking at about $100 an hour for labor, parts are usual double priced (at dealerships, probably normal price at local shops) then at least $100 for them to look at it and see whats wrong before attemping to repair it, and then probably a couple hours or so for them to do the job. So I'm just guessing they'll throw at least a $500 price at you, but more likely upwards of $800 or so. I have to admit that you can find an engine on craigslist much cheaper and have some buddies help you swap them over. You can probably even find a whole car with frame rot for the same price and have whatever other parts you may need in the future. All depends on your skillset I guess, and wether or not money is an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:37 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

2005 Bonneville GPX
motopsyco wrote:
well considering if you did it yourself might be around $50-75 probably 100 with fluids and everything on the cheap side. But talking about a shop doing it, you looking at about $100 an hour for labor, parts are usual double priced (at dealerships, probably normal price at local shops) then at least $100 for them to look at it and see whats wrong before attemping to repair it, and then probably a couple hours or so for them to do the job. So I'm just guessing they'll throw at least a $500 price at you, but more likely upwards of $800 or so. I have to admit that you can find an engine on craigslist much cheaper and have some buddies help you swap them over. You can probably even find a whole car with frame rot for the same price and have whatever other parts you may need in the future. All depends on your skillset I guess, and wether or not money is an issue.

I found an engine on Ebay with under 100k With the Super charger installed . Would this mount up in my 1997 Bonneville with no problem?? Will a Supercharged engine fit into a 1997 Bonneville SSE 30 year anniversary edition??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

as long as its the series 2 engine it will, from a 96-99 i believe would be the years you need. You would need a few extra parts though to use a supercharged engine, unless yours was a supercharged model. I believe you will need to fuel harness, maybe engine harness, the fuel pump (not sure) and the computer from a supercharged model. I havent done a supercharged swap but I know alot of people on here has and know exactly what all you need to make it happen. I dont think you need alot of stuff though, so the supercharged engine would be the way to go if you get it at a good price. I think you might need the trans too, but dont know if thats really for earlier years or not. Hopefully someone will chime in here and let you know the specifics. Some good searches in the boards will get you the info you need on the swap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:20 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Pull all your plugs out and turn the engine over, sounds like it is hydrolocked from a severe intake gasket failure. The cylinder(s) are likely full of water which won't compress. As soon as you do this, drain any leftover coolant and oil, refill the oil with the cheapest stuff you can find but do not add coolant. Run the engine for maybe 20 - 30 seconds then shut it off and drain the oil again. At that point you should be fine and just have the intake gaskets and upper intake manifold replaced then refill the coolant and good oil.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:14 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

crash93ssei wrote:
Pull all your plugs out and turn the engine over, sounds like it is hydrolocked from a severe intake gasket failure. The cylinder(s) are likely full of water which won't compress. As soon as you do this, drain any leftover coolant and oil, refill the oil with the cheapest stuff you can find but do not add coolant. Run the engine for maybe 20 - 30 seconds then shut it off and drain the oil again. At that point you should be fine and just have the intake gaskets and upper intake manifold replaced then refill the coolant and good oil.

Do what he said first before anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Any updates on this? Did you have the shop look at for you?